Tuesday, December 30, 2008

the taximan and the lost colonial

This is a true story....one I've been holding onto until the end of this year because it was so special and life affirming for me that I thought it would be smiling reflection on a year of ups and downs. It's a bit long for a blog post, but I think you'll enjoy it if you have the time to read it. I have told this story verbally and have shared a shorter version it in a couple of emails. I'm happy to now have the opportunity to capture it in full here.
The Taximan and the Lost Colonial


One Saturday, late afternoon last May, I found myself on a train bound for Romford after spending two wonderful days in Londontown with my blogfriend Katie getting to know one another and seeing what seemed like the whole city on foot. We had filled our short time together with as much living and sharing as we could live and in person. We hit as many London hot spots as we could while we walked and talked and walked and talked....Trafalgar Square, Picadilly, 10 Downing Street, Big Ben, Portobello, Notting Hill, Covent Garden (for a wonderful Italian dinner with Pip and Joan on the Friday night), Camden, Kensington, Soho.....and a couple of places in between.
By the time we said our goodbyes, Katie running to catch the last flight home to Guernsey and me catching the tube and train back to the Wilsons Mansion in Romford where my emerald friend Pip resides with the love of his life Joan and their infamous cat Zig, I was filled with a multi sensory collection of feelings....and a little bit of fatigue. It was a good kind of tired....a smiling kind.
Once I checked the subway map to verify the connection I needed to make to catch the train to Pip's house, I sat down and began reflecting on the whirlwind two days. It was somewhere between Victoria Station and the train connection when I realized I had neglected to write down Pip and Joan's home address in my journal. I knew I had it...on a piece of paper somewhere, and I recalled I had made sure both my husband and my mother had all of my travel particulars via email, but it dawned on me that somewhere along the line I hadn't transferred it into my book.

At first it was only a wee bit disconcerting. I knew I was going to be arriving to an empty Wilson's Mansions except for the infamous Zig the coolcat to greet me. Pip was away in Belfast for two days, and Joan was at a cricket match that afternoon, to be returning home that evening. They had given me my own key just in case I was there before Joan. It was up to me to make my way from the train station to my destination.....all of about a 10 minute walk.

My sense of direction is something I rely on all the time. I had never been lost before and had always been able to find my way through many cities. Heck I had just navigated London England for goodness sakes! My job too takes me into the backwoods of this province, down half hewn roads where addresses are sometimes dubious and had never been lost. In fact, I had always thought that if ever there was a reality show made for someone like me it was the Amazing Race. Consequently, my confidence kept me hopeful that I could find my way.

Besides, this wasn't the first time I was going to be arriving at their house. In fact, we had journeyed from the station into the city and back already together. Pip had been clear in his directions as he drove me to the station only the day before. I relied on the fact that it would look and feel familiar as soon as I stepped off that train and onto the platform. No problem, I thought as I settled into my seat observing the people around me, I'll figure it out, and if worst comes to worst, I just need to access my email from somewhere to access the address. Or, call my Mom in Canada. I could always call my Mom.

As soon as I stepped off the train, however, and looked around at a quickly emptying platform, I knew I was screwed. Between the time Pip had originally dropped me off and the moment I found myself with a backpack full of choice souvenirs accumulated that day, I had saturated my brain with sites and sounds and new memories. It had pushed away any clear memories of where I was supposed to be going. The fact that I didn’t have the address and that Pip and Joan weren’t home? Well, that made it all the more sticky a situation.

There were two exits from the platform. To the right was a carpark where we had parked a couple of nights before to head into the city for a Brick Lane curry dinner. To the left was where I had been dropped off the day before with specific directions from my BHP host. I chose to go left. The only knowledge I had left in my saturated noggin was the name of the street and that it was a well travelled one. Figuring if I could just get to the street, I could find my way, I found myself standing at the exit completely turned around and lost. One look at the cars arriving on the wrong side of the street, and I knew my sense of direction was completely devastated. I headed out in search of a store or restaurant where I could some help, wondering what these crazy people drive on the wrong side of the road anyways.

Around the corner was a convenience store. I entered the quiet establishment ready to close for the evening, went right up to the counter and explained my situation, and asked for a telephone book. The owner’s grasp of the English language was minimal so after a bit of charades, he retrieved a massive tomb full of yellow pages and told me that was all he had. No white pages....No computer there either…..or not one he was planning to allow a wayward Canuck access to. Dismissed, he told me to go back to the train station and hail a cab. Fat lot that was going to do if I didn’t have the address!
With no other choice, I did as I was told and made my way over to a little shack office where three busy people sat taking phone orders for taxis and waited my turn. It was starting to get dark. There was no way I was going to traipse through unfamiliar streets on my own once the sun went down. The thought of calling my Mom whisked through my head again.


“Can I help you?”

“Hi….I’m from Canada and I'm lost."
(YES, I was going for the empathy jugular) "I’ve lost the address of the home where I’m supposed to go. I was wondering if you have a phone book in there I could borrow to look up the address?”

Laughing and cockney friendly, …. “We take incoming calls here, duck, we have no need for a telephone book, sorry about that….” YES the man called me duck! I could tell that I had made for an interesting blip in their monotonous evening in call centre hell.

“Any chance you have a computer in there? I know the address is on an email I sent. If I could just......”

Laughing harder…. “Look at this place, dear! The only technology we have are these phones! Do you know the name of the street?” (The people standing around waiting for their taxis and waiting in the queue behind me must've thought I had completely lost my mind. I pushed the thought away, but continued to feel very very small.)

“Yes....ummmmm. Maybe you could order me a cab and if I can get to the street, I’ll recognize the house.”

“Sure duck. It' ll be here in a few minutes. Go stand over by the curb and it will pull up there.”

“Thank you. I appreciate your help. I can't believe I've done this!….” I say smiling, feeling embarrassed by my stupidity and situation.

"Don't worry, it'll work out. The taximan will be able to help you. Good luck."

It seemed like an eternity before a taxi pulled up to the curb. By then, I had shored myself up with a bit of self talk……… “you wanted an adventure….you wanted to be challenged, take it as it is and if all else fails, you can go stay in a hotel or find a pub and drink all night…. I can always call home....I wasnt that far away.....” It helped. Confidence that I’d sort it out returned and I laughed at the thought of my Mom's reaction to a phone call from her eldest daughter across the pond asking for a street address.

I opened the front door of the cab. My eyes met the eyes of a friendly man of retirement age who looked like he just came off the set of Coronation Street. He looked FAMILIAR, albeit because of a TV show! Do you know how grateful I was to see a father figure who most likely lived in the area all his life that looked like he grew up on Cornation Street?? I know, I know....big assumptions, but what a friendly jovial looking face! Not knowing whether there were standard rules about whether or not one can sit up front….

“Hi. Would it be alright if I sat in the front seat.”

“Sure you can,” he said smiling.

As I clambered in, I held out my hand. “Hi! I’m Dana."

“Nice to meet you Dana. I’m Henry. Where are we headed?"
"Nice to meet you too Henry. You know what? I don't know where we're headed, Henry. I’m lost. I don’t know the area. I’ve lost the address of where I am supposed to go. I know the name of the street though and if you could get me there, I’m pretty sure I’ll recognize it and the house.”
"What is the name of the street, dear?"

“B****wood,”
I respond.

“Upper B****wood, B****wood, or B****wood Common?”

“Did you guys run out of names for streets? Oh my God, Henry I don’t have a clue! Are they all really close to the station because I know we aren’t very far away from the house from here?”

“Yes, they are, but that’s alright we’ll find it,” Henry reassured me while laughing at my comment.

“Thank you,” I said as I put my trust in this man's hold.

As we drove off, we began a conversation sharing bits of our lives…..where he had travelled in Canada, what I was doing in Romford, what he used to do for a living, what I did etc. It seemed almost normal! In no time, however, I realized we weren’t on the right B****wood street. None of the buildings looked familiar at all. I noticed a couple of restaurants and wondered aloud if they would have the internet. I could retrieve the address that way. Henry replied:

“I doubt it and I don’t think there are any internet cafes around here either.”

“I can’t believe how ridiculous I feel about this Henry,” I admitted as I gazed out at a darkening city landscape completely foreign to me. “I think we need to try another one of those streets. This isn’t it.” I was starting to lose my optimism, sunk in the stupidity of my situation. Changing the subject.... “Do you know that reality show, the Amazing Race? Do they have that show here?”

“I don’t think I've heard of it, Dana. Big Brother's the one people watch here. What’s it about?” he asked as he turned the taxi around and headed to the next street with the same name……

“Well, it’s a worldwide scavenger hunt. You have to navigate different directions and modes of transportation with a partner and you compete against 9 other teams. They eliminate one pair each week until the last team standing wins a million dollars. Of all the reality shows out there, this is the one I always thought I’d have a good chance at and now look at me! I can’t even navigate my way to a place I have already been to! How pathetic is that??”

We laughed together as he continued to remain calm and again to reassure me we would find Pip and Joan’s house.

“If I could only get my hands on a phone book which seems to be extinct in this country………or access to the internet”, I contemplated out loud.

“My wife has the intanet. You could use mine. I live just around the corner here?”

“Really? Wow! How nice of you to offer, Henry. Thank you. You don’t mind taking me home with you?”
"No problem at all, Dana. It would take only a couple of minutes then we'd be set in the right direction, now wouldn't we? My wife is home and probably on the internet right now chatting with her sister."

(An aside here...........no I hadn't completely lost my mind. I had been very alert about the streets we had been on, where the station was from our location. My intuition told me that this man was trustworthy. It seemed like a good risk. I had my bags right by my feet and if need be, I could hop out and most likely outrun him something Cagney and Lacey like! I believed in this man's kindness. And MAN what a story it would make!)

We turned onto a suburban street where the dwellings all looked right out of the 70's.....mock Swiss. Snuggled in between the cookie cutter townhouses was a small home with a pebble stone cottage feel to it. The little garden was well loved and blooming. Henry pulled up to the home, turned off the taxi and summoned me to come along. Hesitantly and little nervous to say the least, I followed him. He unlocked the front door and as he opened it, he shouted out.....
"Marion! I'm home early. I have a lost Canadian with me and she needs to use our intanet. She needs to find a local address on an email she sent to her Mum in Canada. "

"Do you bring home many lost Canadian's Henry?" laughing and wondering what I had done.

"You're the first!" he replies laughing at the absurdity of the situation.

Out popped this bundle of energy into the hallway....a friendly smiling warm woman in her 60's dressed in casual clothes.......

"Oh my goodness! You DO have a lost Canadian with you! Come in! Come in! Would you like something to eat? Some tea? I'm Marion."

"It's a pleasure to meet you Marion. I'm Dana. Thank you for the offer, but I probably should just get the address and find my destination. This is so kind of you two. I really appreciate you letting me barge in like this."

"Come in, come in.....my computer is in my craft room. Please dont mind the mess. It's full of projects half done," said Marion as she guides me into an overstuffed room full of knicknacks and knitting. It was like her own nesting spot. In the corner of the room glowed a computer. Marion pushed aside some papers, welcomed me to sit down comfortably and then she stepped back to let me access my email site. In two minutes, I had the address. A wash of relief flooded over me.

"I have it," I said turning to Henry. "The address is........"

"We're just a few minutes away from there," he smiled reassuring me.

As we headed back out the door, I gave Marion a hug and thanked her for her kindness again. She said something like it was no problem at all, and then wished me well.....and a very nice to meet you. She was so nonplussed about this interuption on her Saturday evening, that I left so full of amusement and smiles. what a friendly innocent trip she was!

In no time, Henry pulled up to the front of Joan and Pip's house. Safe and sound. I pulled out my wallet and gave him double the fare........and a hug. "Thank you Henry. You are a Godsend."

"You made my evening Dana. It was nice meeting you. Enjoy the rest of your trip."

"Well, you certainly made mine! And we're both left with a story to share aren't we?" We laughed together and said our goodbyes.

As he was pulling back onto the street, I fumbled with the key in the lock. Before I could turn the key, the door opened. Joan made it home before me...the cricket match had been called early because of the drizzling rain. She smiled showing some relief.....

"You know about an hour ago, I started to get a bit worried about you," she said.

"Joan, about an hour ago, you should've been worried about me......," I laughed showing my own relief......"you won't believe what just happened! It's so good to see you!"

I dropped my bags at the foot of the stairs and followed Joan into the kitchen where the wine was poured and a bite to eat was consumed.....where a wonderful evening of sharing stories and feelings ensued between two people who felt like we had known one another for a long long time. It was way past 2 am before sleepiness hit. I crawled into bed in the guestroom, also known as BigJohn's room, and fell asleep feeling very very lucky and well cared for.

postscript.....in all the craziness of that evening I of course neglected to write down Henry's address. I will never be able to thank he and Marion properly for taking a risk on a lost little Canuck. What we are left with is a good story of a happenstance connection and the knowledge that compassion thrives out there.

15 comments:

Rainbow dreams said...

It was and still is an incredible story!! And although it seems such along time ago it also feels like yesterday! Thank goodness for a friendly taxi driver, oh and wouldn't we be lost without the intanet!!? ;) xx

awareness said...

katie...it was fun to finally write! i have told it to numerous people and always get this quizzical kind of judgemental look when I get to the part when i agree to go with this man to his home to use his intanet. i know this sounds kind of chaunvanistic (especially growing up in a family with my Dad being such a great gardener) but as soon as I saw the pretty garden out front, I felt more at ease that there really was a Marion inside and I wasn't dealing with a crazed serial killer.

i completely understand the far away, but seems like yesterday thing. it's weird eh? so much has happened since then, and yet it was a moment sliced right out of our lives.

yes, by crackie...the intanet.

Independent Chick said...

What a great story!!!!! Funny how sometimes we meet someone and we just know that our pathes crossing was no mistake. You were obviously meant to get in Henry's cab that day. Restores our faith in great people as well. Thanks for sharing.

JP/deb said...

Dearest Dana ... what a wonderful story!! It left me feeling all warm, fuzzy and wishing I was on that kind of adventure :)

Love & happiest New Year wishes!
JP/deb

Anonymous said...

sorry i couldn't get my ass in to gear and make it - though glad you met foster et al - at least when you come to greenbelt you will know the L5 group!!! i will be late back in the evenings due to work, but am sure the wine and whiskey will be flowing....

awareness said...

Stacey.....Interestingly, it happened due to a turn of events. I think there are good people everywhere who, given a chance, will reach out to help.

Deb...the whole week was a great adventure, sorely needed too. It had been too long between them. Won't let that happen again!

Paul...It's funny. While writing this piece I kept thinking about the fact that none of it would've happened had we met up that day as planned. At the time too, when I was trying to figure out how to get to Pip's house, I was cursing you! Ah, but it turned out to be a great story, albeit a very different adventure than I had anticipated. That one will come soon.
As for Greenbelt...if I can get my butt over there....I expect you to put me to work, my friend, close to where you will be.

Anonymous said...

Oh Dana I had to chuckle when I got to the part about you going home with Henry. That is exactly what I would have done and I can hear the same things that were probably going through your mind. "What are you fucking crazy? The man could have chopped you into little pieces and buried you in the rose garden".


You may remember when I was stuck in Queensland years ago with very little money, no accommodation, no ticket or means to get home and went home with a perfect stranger. Only difference was I was going home with him to stay for a week. ha ha ha.


I'm glad it turned out to be a good, warm and fuzzy story and not fodder for Fleet Street. Thanks for sharing such a heart warming story.


Happy, Happy New year to you and yours Dana and here's to a little bit of reckless fun :)

Anonymous said...

ha, right yeah! the last thing you want to do is work with me at the cafe of performance... wander the thin place and drink deep of a drink so potent and smell the fragrance of a perfume so tender it could only be that of the christ child...

ps, it's an awkward walk from the station to pip and joan's - fucked it up a few time (usually after numerous pints with foster!)

swilek said...

What a great story. It would be so cool to hear Henry and Marion's side to the story after he dropped you off at Pip and Joan's place! Love to be a fly on the wall in their house! I'm sure they think of you too! As he said you made his night - for some reason!! I always find it difficult in the midst of a bit of a panicky situation to enjoy the moment and realize it is meant to be. It is usually after the fact, I am like, okay God you wanted this to happen for a reason...so glad you were able to realize this "God-moment!" btw, The Amazing Race is my favourite show and I've often said to my friends I will be on it one day! I am in the midst of reading No Opportunity Wasted by the host! Have you read it? Maybe we will compete against each other!! hehehe!

swilek said...

PS...In all my travels to the UK, esp. N. Ireland, I have found the Brits to be so friendly. That is what I love about the UK...I love that they would invite strangers in for tea - just like what you Maritimer's would do Dana!!:)

awareness said...

Gypsy...I DO remember that story! yes, the thought did cross my mind, but I was also thinking that I really wanted to see this one through...to see how it would unfold.
Reading your comment I'm reminded of a time when I was living on Vancouver Island and went to a Jazz festival off the coast of Washington State...the San Juan Islands. Beautiful spot and had visited it before sailing to it about a month previous. I had gone with a bunch of girlfriends to the jazz festival and ended up bumping into a guy I had met the first time there from Seattle. IN the melee of the festival, I lost all of my friends and ended up with this guy and his friends for the two days....soaking up the rays on the bow of his sailboat eating freshly caught crab and drinking Coors. He was a true gentleman, thank God!

oooo....i better stop there, a couple of other stories are re-entering my memory, making me realize that I am a bit of a risk taker....reckless fun indeed. It makes me want to lock up my daughter!!

Paul....it is how i imagine the experience.....a thinness. i love how you describe it here..... i'll do much of both because if the stars align and I can make it there, I don't intend to sleep.

I'm glad it wasn't just my imagination...it didn't seem like a clear path from the station to P and J's....still doesn't in my sober mind now. But, I did think to myself....now if Paul were here, I wouldn't be in this predicament. :) Or maybe we both would've met Henry and Marion and had tea with them. lol!

Karyne....I wondered that myself! I have enjoyed the looks on people's faces when I have told them the story, like i was right out of my mind. I had another experience when travelling years ago with two friends. WE were in Turkey and were befriended by a woman named Sabahat (if you searched her name on my blog, you'll get to her story. I wrote it a couple of years ago in two parts) She took us home in Istanbul for a week and took care of us. Amazing woman. She was most definately on my mind when I accepted Henry's offer to use his intanet! There are good people out there everywhere.

Here is a little slice of the Maritimes story....Today, as I was standing in line to grab a slice of pizza for lunch at the grocery store...I was starving....i waited and waited beside this big burly trucker guy who was ordering too. The woman behind the counter wrapped up my pizza, handed it to me and said....."here you go darlin.' it felt good to be called darlin'. It happens here all the time.....dear, love, darlin..... Then, she did the same to the big burly trucker guy. He smiled too.

I turned to the guy and said....."its nice to be called darlin' every now and then isn't it?" He laughed and said...."Yes it is...and you know it kind of takes the sting out of the shit year we've all just had!" I laughed and then he told me a couple of stories of other incidents while we waited to pay. When I was leaving......??
I looked at him, smiled and said...

"Happy New Year, darlin'."

He replied....laughing....."thanks for that.....Happy New year to you.!

Yeah there is an informality here you don't quite feel as often in S. Ontario. Its' there, and I've felt it in Toronto many times, but it's kind of commonplace here.

Happy New year to allyou darlins'

kenju said...

It's a wonderful story and I am glad I had time to read it all. It restores your faith in humankind, doesn't it?

Happy New Year!

swilek said...

I love the Maritimers!! I remember being down in Newfoundland for my Gramma's funeral ( she was 97). I popped into the local grocery store to stalk up on all those grear Purity products we can't get here in S. Ontario, like Peppermint Knobs! Waiting for my turn in line - quietly, the cashier said to me," are you from the mainland?" I hadn't even opened my mouth to speak and she knew!!! She then said, "are you here for Elsie Whalen's funeral?" I like the informality! I do find myself kind of snobby here in S. Ontario though. When I pass people on the street I kind of get shy and sometimes won't say hi...it's weird, not sure why. I think partly is because most people here in S. Ontario don't do that. I work with a teacher who will not speak to her neighbours...she goes inside the house if they come out...she is so private. I just find that bizarre. ANyways..time for bed..take care!

awareness said...

Judy....Happy New Year to you and your family.

Karyne....Great story and its so true. I have many personal examples of the same thing when we first moved here and would venture to my mother in law's home in a village in Nova Scotia....people would ask me if i was Mim's youngest son James' wife....sometimes even referring to Mim's own father Isaac before the rest.
On Christmas Eve there is a tradition on the Maritime noon hour phone in show....people call in to send greetings out to friends and family members who may be living somewhere else in one of the Maritime provinces. It's so provincially sounding, but lovely all the same, and you just know that the greetings were received warmly on the other end of the request. Sometimes, I even know the person they are referring to! People do know one another and there is a much stronger sense of identity to place and ancestry here than anywhere else in the country.
On the other hand? My street is very private. We live amongst a bunch of introverts who tend to stick to themselves esp. during the winter months. I don't know many of them well at all even though we've lived in the same house for 12 years. And yet my sister who lives in a suburban neighbourhood in Burlington knows ALL of her neighbours and they have block parties and look after each other's kids etc. I guess it really depends on the chemistry of a neighbourhood.

Sherry said...

This is a remarkable story, Dana, and I'm glad I took the time to read it.

As I was reading along, I was thinking more along the lines of British comedies like "Keeping Up Appearances", but I see "The Amazing Race" in it, also.

The kindess of strangers always means a lot, but even more so, it seems, when you're in a different country, or totally out of your element!

Happy, peaceful new year...