Monday, December 22, 2008

Snowy Solstice....as planned?



While the wine in my cup formed ice crystals, I stood close to the winter solstice fire, its sparks crackling up into the snowy air and spoke to the person huddled beside me about reiki healing. I was quite interested in this man's journey to becoming a reiki master.....the whys and hows........my unsaturated curiosity piqued by wanting to know about energy, about interconnecting through intuitiveness. And all the while I'm learning more about a process of touch therapy without laying hands I'm thinking of how cool it was to be having this discussion in the middle of a snowstorm, while celebrating an ancient seasonal, celestial transition.
It never fails. There are always interesting conversations around a campfire....whether it's in the middle of winter or on a sunkissed beach.....the fire pulls people in and offers a dreamy opening to share without conditions.
Others roasted apples, sang songs, and warmed their hands on our blazing fire while huddling close. I jumped in from time to time to add my voice to the open air harmony. At one point, I looked over and watched my children surrounded by their friends enjoying the all ages celebration of life and love and belonging. It warmed me to my core. The snow may have seemed like a hampering obstacle for many that night, but it acted as a means of cocooning with people we share much of our lives with.


Our clothes captured the smokey essence of pine, birch and ash offerings. It is an aroma which lingers far beyond the moment and I love it. We didn't know how much the blizzard had moved onto "the ridge.".... the location of our party. So we carried on like fools in need of adventure. Fireworks blasted through the flakes, filling the close sky with oddly summer colours. Oooo's and Ahhhh's reminiscent of Canada Day slipped out of our collective chatter. Fireworks amidst the furious flakes is highly recommended! As soon as it was over, someone threw more wood onto the fire and our attention pulled back to the flames.

Eventually, we returned to the house ready to pack up and head out for home early. Plans changed drastically however when we pulled out of the long driveway and onto a completely whited out country road. You couldn't see a damn thing including any semblance of a road. And before we knew it, we retraced our path in reverse (there was no place to turn around) and joined the warm happenings inside. Song and wine poured as we huddled comfortably inside while the blizzard bellowed. The kids settled into borrowed pyjamas and the excitement of a massive sleepover ......


A little after midnight as the wind howled, 4 of us along with 3 dogs bundled up and headed out to the snow covered road to walk down the road to another friend's house where more beds were available and others who had left earlier were waiting for us. All of the kids were tucked in for the night in the Beckley household.....safe and warm and loved and tickled they were in the middle of an adventure.

Almost a foot of snow had already fallen and no end was in sight. We trundled and trudged together, following a track left by some crazy person who had been on the road in a their pickup. The snow came down in a fury with a stinging bite from the whipped up wind, nipping your face like nettles. The conditions were frightening, but the sense of adventure hiking into a maritime winter storm was a tingling affirmation of life. We all felt it. Nature can be so humbling I thought as we turned off the abandoned road and down the driveway where a warm woodstove, and irish cream beckoned. I have never experienced a walk like that before and thanked God I wasn't all alone. It was so bleak in its isolation. The whole landscape was a monochromatic void of life, except the 4 crazy people looking for a bed. I was glad it wasn't a manger waiting at the end of the journey.

........We slept through most of the power outage last night.....


The storm left the area under a thick blanket of snow......the country and the city both were at a standstill for a day as everyone dug out. A white Christmas in the Maritimes is a guarantee....and.............

Today, our days begin to get longer. The very thought makes me hopeful.

ps. I was also told that the light around me indicates I should learn reiki..........turns out my internal "energy" is conducive for healing. hey, I've got that going for me as I head into 2009. Who needs a candle to light the way when one has a blue light aura to plug into?

8 comments:

Nikita said...

No snow here darl, I fear our lot passed right at the beginning of the month... However this afternoon the clouds are heavy and it's cold enough to turn me into Rudolf, so here's hoping!
xxx

awareness said...

Niki...we have another bunch of snow arriving tomorrow....though I don't think it will be anywhere near as bad. Hoping you have a whitish Christmas too.

a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

*sigh* i almost felt as though i was there.

swilek said...

I agree with the "mouth irish woman" I felt like I was there too...what a beautiful story and I love that you were all around singing and playing your intruments! My dad is a Newfie so I miss those times gathered around singing and playing. What great memories for your children to experience! We are in the midst of a snowstorm too right now as I type this, not like your blizzard though! Merry Christmas and hopefully will see you in March!!
PS I read one of your comments somewhere on someone's blog post about your friend who thinks you have too much drama...I'm sorry to hear that..sometimes friends can be so cruel and just don't understand our pain... keep being you. I can tell you have such a wonderful, caring heart:)

JP/deb said...

That does not surprise me that your spirit is a healing one! Glad you enjoyed the adventure that Mother Nature brought your way ... many blessings and merriest Christmas wishes. xx, Deb

Anonymous said...

not a chance of the white stuff here!!

and the sun set at 4.14pm today not 4.13 as it did yesterday, wooohooo, summer nearly here!!!

ps, why do some people think that real living equates to drama? let them try walking a mile in your shoes sweetie....

awareness said...

beautiful mouthy irish woman....I have a feeling you would've enjoyed yourself thoroughly.

Karyne....thank you for your kind words. it has hurt me alot, but am trying to shake it off.

it was a real Maritime party that's for sure. The group played songs ranging from Christmas tunes to some old Neil Young....and a few spiritual folk songs thrown in.
The summer and winter solstice parties have become a wonderful tradition and the kids look forward to it as much as their parents. The one this year will be one of the most memorable, that's for sure.

The storms are coming fast and furious aren't they? The stories of people stuck in airports across the country are sad. I can't imagine the angst and frustration they are all feeling just trying to make it home for the holidays. I'm so glad we're not travelling this year.

paul...and who wouldn't want to wear my lovely little shoes? they dance as well as weep. what more does one look for in other's shoes? Oh, I know! LOVE and understanding! thank you for sharing those two ingredients with me, always.

the comment made me wonder how much of the drama I stir up and how much of it is out of my control. those thoughts lasted a few hours while i got my act together and then set off to orchestrate a party. but every time i think of it, i am saddened by an obvious one sided friendship I had put my heart and soul into.

enough said....

Independent Chick said...

What a wonderful snowy solstice you had!! Looks like a great time. And isn't Reiki so interesting. We've never met but I have no doubt you have a healing energy...your words have that effect most of the time, even if you didn't realize it. Happy Holidays to you and your family. xx