Monday, December 15, 2008

regrets, I've had a few....dreams one or two....

In life we all have an unspeakable secret, an irreversible regret, an unreachable dream, and an unforgettable love. Diego Marchi.

Tonight, my family and I joined a few others to decorate the local community kitchen. The few boxes of decorations, stored for 50 weeks of the year in my basement, are hauled into the dining room area after the dinner has been served and the place has been cleaned up for the day. In the quiet of the early evening, we begin by pulling out the worn out treasures......the motley looking tree, the garlands and wall hangings, the bows and ornaments.....and assess the array we have to work with. This year, a few colleagues from work donated some new decorations to add a bit of zip to the festive look.

The soup kitchen no question is a cluttered, undersized muddled mish mash of donations. The arborite is worn to the bone.....the chairs, recycled vintages from various boardrooms and offices have most definately seen better days. It's relatively clean (definately the kitchen area is) though the lingering odour, especially at this time of year is a compelling blend of unwashed winter wear, cooking grease and lingering life spices hits you as soon as you walk in the place.

It's an aroma I'm used to..... not so for my children. It is a rank of stark reality to them and it wraps them in wonder of a relatively unknown different world. Even though they have been in the place several times, I can see their discomfort and determination to help make it a little more welcoming and festive for the people who frequent it. I also know that they look forward to offering their efforts every year. It's a good thing.

As we begin to puff up last years bows and turn the little Christmas tree into something more presentable (it reminds me of the tree in Charlie Brown's Christmas.....just needs a little love), I too look around at the empty chairs and the long lines of tables. In no time I begin to hear the stories, the regrets, the dreams, the loves.......I begin to feel the loss, the sadness, the grief, the frustrations. I also see the mingling apparitions where fellowship is felt in the gathering of souls....the volunteers, the workers, and of course the human beings who come for the food. They come for the food, but they also come for the touch of another.

They come for sustenance...body and soul. We need both. For survival.

I found the above quote this morning and it stayed with me all day as I contemplated my own secrets, regrets, dreams and loves. Tonight, as I looked down at the wellworn tables and the overused empty chairs where folks had just sat an hour before to eat their daily meal, I was reminded that every single person on this planet, no matter where they dine or dwell, carry with them similar packages.....unspeakable, irreversible, unreachable, unforgettable.....


our life scars......our war wounds......our imperfections

some just scratch the surface

some puncture deep into the crevasse of our spirits

some we share

and some we take to our graves.






16 comments:

Marja said...

Nice to wrap it in wonder. Hope the people are able to find some comfort.
I am leaving agaqin for a while after tomorrow and get ready for the guests and go on holiday. See you in a month Happy christmas and a wonderful New Year

awareness said...

Marja....at this time of year, love it poured out in generosity though Christmas is still so difficult for many isn't it?

Enjoy your Christmas and your guests Marja. See you in January.

Nikita said...

I've only ever been homeless once in my 19 years. I spent a week freezing in my car, stealing sandwiches from the supermarket.
I thought I had nowhere to go.
Unlike some, I was rescued. My partners family saved us.
I learnt that the smallest bit of company helps you to make another day
That's why a soup kitchen is also a lifesaver.
Love to you Dana xxx

myrtle beached whale said...

This time of year magnifies the difference between the haves and have-nots. Any little thing we can do to bridge that gap is important. Your efforts are noteworthy.

a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

i needed this. so much. thank you for the swift kick in the ass and the jolt to the heart to remind me what is important.

peace my friend.

Independent Chick said...

They come for sustenance...body and soul. We need both. For survival.

Great quote Awareness.

I've missed not stopping by. : )

Baby Sweet Pea

much2ponder said...

Amazing word picture awareness. That is a very good name for you...you are very aware. You always make me think. I love that about you:)

Mark said...

Thank-you for sharing the awareness that this quote and your experience at the kitchen sparked for you. May we all remember to love and to not judge. No one plans to end up in a situation where they have lost most everything. We are not different or better than anyone and we must love, respect and honor all whom we share the elements of this world with.

awareness said...

Niki...it truly is a lifesaver. There was an interview/story on the local morning radio this morning. One of the guys they interviewed who uses both the shelter and the soup kitchen (they are beside each other) spoke about compassion. It was beautiful. He was a true philosopher, with a background of being incarcerated for 20 years.....he said that he believed the soup kitchen was a place of compassion....and that is what everyone longs for. :) lovedit!

mbwhale...doing little things have a tendancy give back so much more don't you think? My husband volunteers there once a week and is on the board of Directors. I know he believes he has benefitted from the experience deeply.

lovely mouthy irish woman...this one evening puts much in perspective for me and my family as well.

BSP! Independent Chick!! Welcome back. I'm glad you've returned and will check out your new blog. We MUST meet soon. I'll be at the market early on Sat. morn....will be wearing my red coat!

m2p...a very good friend of mine suggested the name of my blog and helped me set it up originally. It has been a very useful theme to write under.....and always keep it in mind as I write. Very early on, I realized that my best personal learning happens as I write.

Mark...you said it so well here...it truly comes down to respect and compassion...

****Cheers everyone*****.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

All so very very true, my dear....! I could feel the sadness of that place as IO read about it.....And even the way you describe the smell of it.....I felt like I actually could smell it!
I just watched a film that took place in 1934...abd the Soup Kitchebs and the Hobo's, etc.....And here we are, yet again....
How wonderful that you participate in this each year, Dana.....It has to give you some small feeling of satisfaction that you have done a lot to ease other peoples lonliness and lack of food, too....! This should be what Christmas is all about.

Charli Henley said...

Hi there! Thank you for stopping by Broken Mannequin... Your comment was really touching. People forget the humanity of criminals, I think. We forget the humanity of the homeless and the hungry too. And maybe we forget the humanity of our neighbors, our friends, and our family. It is perhaps easier that way.

Your post here is beautiful and I really like your quotes. I use to work in group homes for previously homeless mentally ill people. I was the one in change of holiday decorations and activities. I did my share of beautifying a motley crew of chairs and tables and walls. Everyone deserves Christmas cheer.

And of course, there but for the grace of God go we.

awareness said...

Naomi...It is satisfying most definately. I would love to get my hands on the place though and fix it up a bit. It is so rundown and way too small. But, it's very effective and functions well. So, the aesthetics don't matter as much as it would if it wasn't beneificial to many.

Charli...welcome. When I read a few pieces on your blog, I had a feeling you would have experienced similar things to me.

Anonymous said...

I think it's a wonderful thing that your kids go along to the kitchen too. I think all young people should be exposed to the what is sometimes the harsh realities of life. Good for them and good for you and Jamie too.

I bet the folks who gather there really appreciate such community spirit. We all deserve to have food in our bellies and a little bit of Christmas cheer even if some of us are struggling to feel it this year :)

awareness said...

Gypsy....you're darn right. :) I worry more about them in January and February when all the volunteer efforts and attention slips away. Right now, the non-profits are being inundated with donations and support for people in need. Things dry up very quickly after the New Year.

Anonymous said...

wow, I have goose bumps reading this. So true and many of these scars can be seen across the faces of the homeless in wrinkles and scars.

The truth is that homelessness is this scaring on the face of our society. It's so cold here D. And so many families are out there in it.

The scars are on my face.

swilek said...

It can be easy for some of us to be snug in the life we live but it is so true what you write, we share the same thoughts, feelings, etc. as those who live on the street...we are the same. I was thinking about this the other day- some of us are not far away from ending up homeless should our present circumstances change. Thankful for people like you and your friends in your community who care for those who "live outside". Counting my blessings this season...Merry Christmas Dana to you and your family! Karyne

PS I am at work right now and a teacher just came around collecting for one of her students who is living in a shelter with her family....sooo sad. Also, you should link to "I messed up my religion" over at my blog as she attends a church that ministers in a cool way to the homeless..they call them, "those who live outside!!"