Wednesday, December 31, 2008

salt to remember me by.....


Waves.
The first time we ventured to Prince Edward Island my daughter Martha was a toddler. I held her in my arms and waded out to my hips into the choppy water and waited for the waves to roll in. They didn't disappoint as they merged into a forceful mound before they broke into an exhilarating cascading fall....splashing, soaking, surprising us as they pushed on by to the shore. Our laughter filled the sky. "Bring it on," we cried! "More!"

The next year, her legs and body were sturdy enough to wade in holding our hands. Once again the waves rolled on one at a time leaving us tasting the salt, leaving it's glistening charm on our skin. The stronger ones bowled us over and under for a few moments, our hands still holding on together. Our laughter burst out in a feeling of freedom, up over the surf. "Bring it on," we cried! "More!"
By the end of the second visit, there were times when we sat close to the shore. Knowing her Mom and Dad were close by my daughter waded into her dimply knees and waited for the waves. They didn't disappoint. In they rolled in an undulating pattern, merging just before they crested and fell into one another with their churning bubbles, pushing onto the shoreline. I watched my daughter watch the waves. As soon as she could see them forming the crest, her arms SHOT up into the air in gleeful defiance......her body shouting "Bring it on!" Her laughter was so resoundingly joyful it brought us to laughter. "More!"
Waves. We love them, anticipate them, yearn for them. They wake us up with their stimulating grandeur. A slapsplash of a wave seems to heighten all of our senses. They make us cry out for more! But they can be tiring too. After a stint in the water battling the waves, its always so wonderful to lay your towel down on the sunbaked sand and collapse while summer's rays warm you and fill you with energy again.
We need both. Too many waves, and your legs begin to buckle from fatigue. Too much sunbaking and the energy you've acquired from the sun turns on itself and makes you sleepy. It zaps you of the strength needed to brace yourself for the turning of the tide. Rarely do we ever find the perfect balance in our lives. Rarely can we ever anticipate the waves in our lives as we can along the shoreline.
During the times when we are inundated with them, one after another to a point when the BRING IT ON turns into a cry for NO MORE.......? The moments of calm become as precious as finding a piece of smooth blue glass offered up from the tide. The moments of calm become like harbouring alcoves where the wind and the waves leave faint echos. The moments of calm become the benchmark memory, when you can begin to take deep breaths in again knowing you can exhale in peace.
I look back on a year of waves.........some welcoming, some rogue-like.......tiring, challenging, stretching.......some which made me laugh up into the sky and some which knocked me down leaving me without enough air in my lungs. I always got back up......and sometimes needed help from someone to learn to put my arms defiantly in the air again, to find my voice......salty tears, salty waves.....a glistening body covered in remembrance. What stands out this morning as I write and reflect on the year that was 2008 are the little alcoves of calm.....and one in particular shines on in my heart more than any other.


I spent an afternoon in the silence of a cathedral. Leaving the roar of the waves outside the welcoming door, I found myself still jittery and bruised as I entered into a place of faint echos. I could hear my own footsteps as I walked slowly. I looked up and around in awe of the mastery and listened to the collective hymns captured in the pillars and dome. I could hear the whispering prayers caught in the thinness of inspiration….and it calmly rolled over me as I explored the little altar alcoves. Candlelight blended with the blue glass light, I sat, I knelt….I let my own prayers filter into the thin air.

Silence. It felt like I had the whole cathedral to myself. But, I wasn’t alone that day. I was with two people who were helping me find my outstretched arms again….two beautiful human beings who were taking their own path through the ancestry of faith. I could feel their presence, never too far away.

Time slipped by. In fact I had lost track of it. Time left me alone, a pilgrim soaking in the reverence, speaking not one word out loud. Talking to God.

I found myself standing at the top of the stone steps next to the main altar admiring the arches and domes, the light cascading, reflecting shadows into the deep folds. I looked down to see one person sitting alone in the front row of the pews. His hands were clasped, quietly sitting on his lap. His eyes were closed. I was pulled down the steps and placed right beside him. My calm met his calm. We spoke in whispers when we spoke at all. Mostly, we enjoyed the faint echos in our own alcove, humbled by the strength of the beauty of Canterbury Cathedral. My inner calm return.

I have thought of this quiet time with my friend many times since, especially when the waves sent me reeling again. And every time I picture the two of us sitting close in silence looking up at an altar which defies descriptive words , I feel like I’ve been touched by an eternal beacon of light…..one offered to me by a person I feel like I’ve known for MORE than a fortnight….a friend I had met through the magic of blogging. My strength returns. My arms reach up into the air. And I can hear my voice sing out in happiness….BRING it ON!


So as we say so long to a year of learning, stretching, growing…..a year of undulating waves, glorious experiences, strengthening friendships….as we reflect on a year which tested our mettle, but also gave us more insight into ourselves and others, may we take the time to recognize our moments of grace and light when we find we hold in our hands a piece or two of blue glass brought in by the tides.

Happy New Year from me to you. 2009? Bring it on!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very Happy and Joyous New Year to you and your lovely family Dana. I loved that pic of the ocean. What a fabulous blue.

much2ponder said...

Wow! ((((((Awareness))))))), such a beautiful and touching story. For a few moments...I truly felt as though I was there with you living out your memories. I love this post:) and I'm with you; "2009, bring it on". Your words have blessed my heart and softened my spirit this day. Thank you.

JP/deb said...

The waves of life are the highs and lows ... and in between we need the moments of silence and centering. Thank you for sharing yourself here & bringing your faith and thoughts to the page for us all to share. Much peace, love and happy new years wishes ... JP/deb

awareness said...

Gypsy...Back at ya! It's BITTER cold today...winds whipping up howls! Blizzards just east of us. Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island are basically shut down since last night with snow accumulations beyond humane. So, I look at that shot of the blue waters of PEI taken in the summer and I yearn for the next time we venture over to land of Anne of Green Gables. it's a beautiful place.

m2p. I'm glad it resonated with you. Ironically, I LOST the piece twice while writing it....had it all set up with the pics etc, pressed publish and the damn piece disappeared into oblivion. Little blog waves which just about made me give up. So, the words are my third time around, which feels like it's too overdone. So, I'm happy to read that I managed to capture the essence of my time visiting the Cathedral with Pip as I had intended. thanks.

Deb....Happy New Year to you and your family. I was thinking as I wrote this piece of the analogy grace notes as well as the analogy of waves.....the silence between the notes which makes the music sing....

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Beautiful Post, My Dear...PERFECT for the end of the old year and the beginning of a new one.....May our friendship grow as this year of 2009 grows, too....!
HAPPY HAPPY NEW YEAR, DEAR DANA...!

awareness said...

Naomi....thank you! It has been written in my heart and head for a long time now.....good to share it.
I too look forward to our friendship growing. I wish we lived down the street from one another. Not only would i LOVE to attend one of your Girls who Lunch birthday parties, I would just love to drop by for an afternoon of talking. I think we'd have a few laughs too, I bet.

Take care Naomi. Happy New year.