Tuesday, December 09, 2008

somebody cry why, why, why?


I left this morning in the bitter cold and headed east and then south to Saint John to deliver a 3 day workshop to a group of frontline staff. The temperatures dropped drastically. It had turned the wet lash flakes that seemed to playfully cover the landscape on Sunday night into a mean hardened encasement on the limbs of the burdened trees. Snow had blown onto the highway and mixed with the dangerous black ice that gripped the same colour pavement, leaving the driving conditions intense. Warnings had been voiced throughout the radio morning show.....to be careful.....to go slow.......to take your time.

The sunrise skyline in front of me was a blurred soft salmon like someone had used pastel crayons to colour it in and them used the warmth of their fingers to rub it into a delicate sleepiness. As the sun rose higher into the horizon it too had a blurriness from the thin clouds that covered and captured whatever warmth emanated from it's centre. It was a storm warning sky, familiar to anyone who lives in snow country. It was silently beautiful.

The highway between Fredericton and Saint John is a well known one to me, and it has my utmost respect. Two lanes for the most part, hilly with very few straight stretches, it cuts through the training land for CFB Gagetown which is all forested. In some parts, a brand new serious looking fence separates the road from the forest to keep the moose where they should be..... and not gallavanting along the white dashes. They have been known to do that. Several people have been killed after their vehicles have collided with a moose. The fence is a life saver.

As much as I was keeping my eyes on the road and my brain alert and focused on the driving, I did take in the scenery as I passed by. The trees, mostly mature evergreens were covered in a thick coat of snow, so white it was almost blinding.....so heavy that they were all bent over like they were bowing to the motorists. It was stunningly beautiful, like a winter wonderland picture postcard. If it had been a different day, perhaps I would've been able to pull off the road and take some photos. Instead, I decided I would tuck the picture into my memory in order to be able to try to find the words to describe them.

While I was thinking about how one could describe the depth of winter's beauty on the landscape of this part of the world, a familiar song came on CBC Radio 2 (which by the way has completely enamoured me of late with its changes. I love the music they are playing in the mornings). It had been made famous 20 or so years ago by Paul Simon when he teamed with an African group named Ladysmith Black Mombazo. I remember the first time I saw them perform it.......on Saturday Night Live, and I remember being absolutely bowled over by the feeling that rose out of all them as they sang....knowing I would never forget the song or the feeling. This rendition wasn't accompanied by Simon but rather Sarah McLaughlin. Her voice fed right into LBM's harmony like an angel..........

Homeless, homeless
Moonlight sleeping on a midnight lake
Homeless, homeless
Moonlight sleeping on a midnight lake
We are homeless, we are homeless
The moonlight sleeping on a midnight lake
And we are homeless, homeless, homeless
The moonlight sleeping on a midnight lake

Such a contrast.......a mind awakening contrast.........there I was travelling through a stretch of what seemed like the fairytale version of the North pole with its snow artistry listening to a song that had transported me to the soul full beat of Africa. I couldn't be farther away physically from where this song originated but spiritually as I listened to the words and absorbed the sounds of a language I can't speak or understand, I was right there.


Strong wind destroy our home
Many dead, tonight it could be you
Strong wind, strong wind
Many dead, tonight it could be you

And we are homeless, homeless
Moonlight sleeping on a midnight lake
Homeless, homeless
Moonlight sleeping on a midnight lake
Homeless, homeless
Moonlight sleeping on a midnight lake

Somebody say ih hih ih hih ih
Somebody sing hello, hello, hello
Somebody say ih hih ih hih ih
Somebody cry why, why, why?
Somebody say ih hih ih hih ih
Somebody sing hello, hello, hello
Somebody say ih hih ih hih ih
Somebody cry why, why, why?
Somebody say ih hih ih hih ih

This is a song which entered our world only 22 years ago and helped broaden our awareness of world music. It was a daring thing to do......apartheid was still raging. Nelson Mandela was still imprisoned. Communism was still such a prevalent silencer to millions of people. The Berlin Wall was still a foreboding crippler of freedom when we were introduced to this song. But when you think about it, it's the art......music, paintings, novels, films, poems which always seems to lead the way to change and awareness. This song for me awakened my interests in learning more about African issues.........but also made me realize that some issues.........homelessness for example....and the feelings behind the issues are universally felt.
somebody cry.......why, why, why?

we can relate........communicating through our creativity.
we can relate by recognizing the very idea that we all think, feel, breathe and yearn alike.
we can relate by reaching out and learning about our similarities and differences.

December 10th, 2008 (tomorrow!!!) is the 60th anniversary of the Declaraton of Human Rights. WE still have major homelessness issues. WE still have people imprisoned behind walls. WE still have people who are brave and have tried to speak out about the injustices the see and experience in their countries. Yes, we have made major strides since Paul Simon did us a huge favour by introducing us to beautiful music filled with sounds and language we can absorb through our hearts. However, many people have been silenced..... Many people in our world....human beings like you and I live with NO rights. This is a violation we all need to recognize and we all need do something about.

Tomorrow, I will write about a couple of people, ordinary people who have taken it upon themselves to make a difference in the rights of others. Every Human Has Rights.....Inspiring.....

Tonight, as I hunker down in the port city of Saint John for the duration of the workshop, I want to share music......to inspire....... to wake up our passion for people who live far away from Canada's wintery landscape..... as a reminder of our individual right to freedom of expression. Written in collaboration.....follow this link....
ps....Today? I led a workshop on our basic needs. It went better than I expected because there was the music playing in my soul.

11 comments:

Robert said...

invigorating dana tried to come up with an adjective i don't use all the time lol your words nbeed to be imprinted on all our hearts indeed, all people are valuable with rights simply for being themselves hope your seminar goes wonderfully!!

awareness said...

Hi Robert...thanks. I'll do my best....have a wonderful day in your part of the world.

Nikita said...

I'm sorry that I am not up to writing the comment you deserve, but my thoughts and warmth are with you - across the miles. x

OldLady Of The Hills said...

There is no question that Music, Art, Film, Theatre, Paintings, Sculpture, etc....ALL transcend differences....They unite us on an emotional interior "feelng" level.....It is why "The Arts" are so important to our Health and Survival....Sometimes as needed as a crust of bread and some water. Food for the soul. And this is what truly uniyes us and truly transcends our differences.

awareness said...

Niki....my thoughts are flying over to you. I was listening to that Van Morrison song last night...into the Mystic and thought of you sailing. :)

Naomi....I love the feel of connection I have when I am at a concert or a play...especially an open air one. There is such a sense of oneness there. I wish we could bottle that feeling and pour it onto the hot heads and evil doers who violate the rights of human beings all over this planet.

There is magic in the air surrounding any place of creativity. I think it's called love.

Anonymous said...

pulled this from a wiley irishman:

But justice is a higher standard. Africa makes a fool of our idea of justice; it makes a farce of our idea of equality. It mocks our pieties, it doubts our concern, it questions our commitment.

6,500 Africans are still dying every day of a preventable, treatable disease, for lack of drugs we can buy at any drugstore. This is not about charity, this is about Justice and Equality.

Because there's no way we can look at what's happening in Africa and, if we're honest, conclude that deep down, we really accept that Africans are equal to us. Anywhere else in the world, we wouldn't accept it. Look at what happened in South East Asia with the Tsunami. 150, 000 lives lost to that misnomer of all misnomers, "mother nature". In Africa, 150,000 lives are lost every month. A tsunami every month. And it's a completely avoidable catastrophe.

It's annoying but justice and equality are mates. Aren't they? Justice always wants to hang out with equality. And equality is a real pain.

You know, think of those Jewish sheep-herders going to meet the Pharaoh, mud on their shoes, and the Pharaoh says, "Equal?" A preposterous idea: rich and poor are equal? And they say, "Yeah, 'equal,' that's what it says here in this book. We're all made in the image of God."

And eventually the Pharaoh says, "OK, I can accept that. I can accept the Jews—but not the blacks."

"Not the women. Not the gays. Not the Irish. No way, man."

So on we go with our journey of equality.

On we go in the pursuit of justice.

sounds ok to me.....

awareness said...

on we go.....on we go.....

beautifully stated.

you know, I envision the "nature" of justice as male and equality as female. there has to be a way to promote a union between the two.... just have to help them communicate and learn how to see through each other's eyes.

Marja said...

Wonderful how you can describe your environment, indeed a very contrast with this beautiful song.
I love African music. I did some African dancing when I was young which is as simple as the beat.
Oh so much still need to be done in the world Still have to read a book which explains why it still is so bad and that it doesn't have too. Can't find the tiltle right now
Anyway hope you had a great seminar. Maslow comes to mind when talking about basic needs

awareness said...

Marja...would love to know why it has to be so bad, when we have the choice to make it SING!
Maslow was most definately mentioned and referred to often throughout the workshop. I was actually surprised that this group of frontline staff had never heard of him before.

carmilevy said...

Remind me to ride shotgun with you someday on an early morning drive toward the east. You paint seriously with your thoughts.

awareness said...

Carmi.....anytime. thank you for the feedback. I'm glad my intentions hit the descriptive chord. :)