Wednesday, April 25, 2007

rosie, rosie, rosie.........


Looks like Rosie O'Donnell is leaving The View. Yes, it's true. She's handing in her coffee mug and will not pass Go.

Not that I watch the show since it's on in the middle of the day....... in fact I don't think I'd watch the show even if I was home in the middle of the day. Whenever I have found myself home, however and have sat down to watch it, I was left unimpressed with their bantering babbling. It drove me crazy!! It seems to me though that Barbara's pet TV show got a big boost from allowing Rosie to join the buffet table daily this year, because......well......it's often been the lead story on the news that counts......Entertainment Tonight........ The dog fight between O'Donnell and Trump was one for the books. How pathetic. Why don't the two of them learn something from Saint Oprah and go open up a couple of schools.

I was a huge fan of the Rosie O'Donnell show a few years back when she hosted a variety show in the mornings. Home on maternity leave, sleep deprived and stuck on the couch nursing an insatiable (albeit very adorable) infant son who preferred little mouse naps over a long snorefest, there were days when an hour with Rosie O'Donnell and whoever her guests were was a saving grace. She was enthusiastic, bright, funny and played the role of excited host to a "T." She single handedly brought back the variety daytime talk show..........a la............OK..........I'm going to show my age here........... just like Mike Douglas and Merv Griffin. Music, comedy, a little soft shoe, and a gabfest chat with a famous or not so famous person.

I loved her quirks........her gushing of Broadway shows........her love of toys and treats........her over the top enthusiasm of her favourite reality shows.........her hilarious crush on Cruise and adoration of Barbra Streisand. She cracked me up. She seemed harmless and funny with her repetitive themes, songs and monologues.

Before she knew it......Emmy's were garnered, buzz was created, stars were clamouring to get on her show. A Rosie Doll was created to offset the Barbie craze and it sold out. She jump into the magazine competition pitting herself and her name against Oprah and Martha, and was keeping pace!! She was a huge hit because people could relate to her. She seemed like an inoffensive open book with a big heart who loved to give stuff away.

Then.......something snapped.........or maybe it was just too darn hard to play a role and not yourself.......(though at the time I didn't see it as a "role." I assumed I was watching the real Rosie) . All of sudden, everybody's bud turned a corner and ended up in a field of ongoing controversy. All of sudden, her big infectious laugh and supposed love of life....her schtick got her schtuck in the muck.

Barking at Tom Sellick about guns.........(well, I agreed with her, but she was completely over the top .......) and put Magnum P.I. in a corner with her blasting diatribe on gun control.

Then, Vanity Fair published an article about her tyrannical tantrums with the Magazine staff. Testimonials from these staff littered the article and it left a big black tarnish on a self created image.

All of a sudden............anger filled her sentiments...........her true colours? Who knows, but the anger and vitriol that has bellowed out of her in the past couple of years has been downright nauseating. I turned off and tuned her out.....like many others.

The mag folded, and Rosie went on to host cruises and lobby for gay rights all the while barking too loudly and offering up her opinion on anything and everything............ until the one and only maven of bogus news, Barbara Walters came a calling.

The View needed her..........but they needed the angry bitchy woman and not the facade. They wanted her to stir the pot, to be controversial. Unfortunately her sense of entitlement shown through. It was like she had a right to yell and shout out her opinions because........well........she was right and they were wrong or something. I don't know.

All year...........all we have read about Rosie is her rude tug of war with Trump which went from titilating initially to bizarre to baffling to boring to incessantly ridiculous. It was like watching two adult/children continually yell out......

"I know you are but what am I?" over and over and over again....................

Enough!! She's rude. Who needs a rude talking head TV host? They really are a dime a dozen these days and NONE of them are worth watching.

Well...................today, after slamming Rupert Murdoch (another friend of Walter's), Rosie is hanging up her cleats.

She needs therapy............or at least some happy pills, and a new taste of the real world.

hmmmmmmmm........ funny thing.......though you'd never in a million years find Rosie and Ann Coulter in the same room together, I think you'd find them on the same page in the dictionary under the word "Bully."

7 comments:

Perplexio said...

and good riddance to her too!

Her recent comments claiming the US government was behind 9/11 I found reprehensible and irresponsible on her part.

But considering the source... I was not surprised.

kenju said...

I used to be a fan of hers too, for all the same reasons you mentioned (on her earlier show). But now, she is too militant and the thing with Trump just escalated beyond intelligence. I don't know which is them is the more childish.

awareness said...

perplex.....I forgot about the conspiracy talk. Yeah, she has flipped her lid and flapped her lips too many times.

Judy......I don't either. Donald Trump is reprehensible in my books. yuk!

Anna said...

I agree with you , kenju, perplexio and awareness...I can barely watch her for two seconds these days without being fed up and nauseas (sp?)...

Ellen said...

Funny.... these were my very thoughts when I heard the news today. (We really do think alike, don't we?)

I enjoyed Rosie in the movie "A League of Their Own", and thought she showed great promise in the acting field. When her show came out, I never had the chance to watch it, and only caught snippits of it with some of her guests. Still, she came across ala Douglas and Griffin (yes, I'm dating myself here too, but I do remember those shows as a kid).

Then her attack on Tom Selleck seemed to be the beginning of the end. Yes, I agreed with her point, but feel like you do on this: enough is enough. Badgering people does not make your point on a subject any more right. Somehow, she didn't stop there, and has been a mouth out of control since.

I did not know of her comments about 9/11.... but it doesn't surprise me that she had an opinion.... a rather loud one at that. Sometimes I just like it better when entertainers entertain, and keep their opinions to themselves.... especially if they are going to get nasty about it. Rosie is one of them.

And don't even get me started on Trump..... even though I did laugh inside at Rosie's opinion of his hair. If only it stopped there.

Perplexio said...

With the Tom Selleck thing, I thought he was raising some good points himself-- guns were more accessible 40 years ago, but 40 years ago we didn't have people going into schools and taking out 20 people with them.

There has definitely been a change in culture in the past 40 years and I think Selleck was trying to make the point that while access to guns may have been partially responsible for the Columbine shootings, the change in culture over the past 40 years was a much more integral factor in those shootings.

Of course the media is trying to deflect this as an access to guns issue, it takes the spotlight off their culpability in our ever-increasingly violent culture. And of course, Rosie, being a media person would not want to draw attention to the media's culpability in the events at Columbine-- especially not when bodies like the NRA make for such a nice scapegoat.

paris parfait said...

I agree R has been a bit over the top in expressing her personal opinions - most recently at the Women in Communications dinner. I agree her old show was nice (although I rarely got to see it). The childish feuds have no place being aired in public. And I think the View suffered a huge blow when Meredith Viera left and before that Lisa Ling. Of course I never see it in France, but I remember when.