Monday, April 02, 2007

a new day, fresh with no mistakes......

Hall of Famer Dave Winfield,
Game 6, bottom of the 11th, against the Atlanta Braves
Game and World Series winning double.
1992
I can still hear the roar.
It was a thing of beauty.


Robert Frost once stated, "I never feel more at home than at a ballgame," and I have to agree.

Whether it's entering a major league shrine like Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium or sitting in the bleachers watching a local little league game, there is comfort in the continuity of a baseball game. It is as familiar to me as my favourite old sweatshirt worn every spring when it's time to clear out the garden. However, baseball has been a part of my life MUCH longer than my favourite sweatshirt.....LONGER than I can remember. In fact, some of my earliest memories contain snippets of sitting with my Mom watching my Dad play 3rd base, eating Cracker Jack and singing "Take me Out to the Ballgame......"

Baseball threads through my life..............from games watched, to games played to games watched again...............and along the way........my learning and enjoyment of taking in 9 innings continues........and begins fresh again today as starting pitcher Doc Halladay and my Toronto Blue Jays begin their 2007 WINNING season on the road in Tiger Stadium. Granted, they start their season up against the World Series Champs of 2006, there is a never say never attitude adopted by every fan, including me. Just ask a Red Sox fan..........

never say never................it's not over 'til it's over...........it may not be the team with the best looking stats going into the season. It may not be the team who triumphs at the end of the season who is picked by the sports journalists. It just may be the team who plays well together, with an extra hunger in the pit of their bellies who will win. AND, it may just be the team from Canada who has a winning starter with a wicked fastball who may pull it out all over again. We'll see..........

no matter what happens during the long season, I'll be watching and listening........and taking part in the score.........

Baseball has it's own musical score composed of echos of past triumphs, perfect games, the thwack of the bat hitting a homerun ball, of crowds standing in a communal cheer of excitement over an amazing catch in left field, or the louding bronx like jeering at a pitcher who's lost his magic spin on the ball.......of the intensity felt during the bottom of the ninth when the game is tied...........of drama unfolding in front of your eyes.

Who will be the homerun king this year? Who will pitch the first no-hitter? Who will make the most diving catches at shortstop? Who will lay the perfect bunt? The most exquisite slide into homeplate? Who will be pulled up from the minors for "the big show" and succeed beyond even his wildest dreams?


I love it all.................let the game continue for eternity.........

And, may the most inspiring team win.........................Go Doc! Go Jays!





"A swing, and a belt! Left field! Way back! Blue Jays win it! The Blue Jays are World Series champions as Joe Carter hits a three-run home run in the ninth inning and the Blue Jays have repeated as World Series Champions! Touch 'em all, Joe, you'll never hit a bigger home run in your life!"
Tom Cheek, Blue Jays commentator calling the homerun that won the game for the Jays in 1993. GLORIOUS!!

No comments: