Sunday, April 29, 2007

finding our own way......finding our own faith.



"Faith is a state of openness or trust. To have faith is to trust yourself to the water. When you swim you don't grab hold of the water, because if you do you will sink and drown. Instead you relax, and float. And the attitude of faith is the very opposite of clinging to belief, of holding on. In other words, a person who is fanatic in matters of religion, and clings to certain ideas about the nature of God and the universe, becomes a person who has no faith at all. Instead they are holding tight. But the attitude of faith is to let go, and become open to truth, whatever it might turn out to be."
Alan Watts, Philosopher

When I was very young, 3 years old I think, my father took me out for a paddle in a canoe. We were staying at a lodge in the Haliburton Highlands with my parents friends for a weekend. I don't remember all the details........how far or how long we were canoeing when a storm full of gusts and waves kicked in. The canoe tipped over not far from the shore, but in deep water. For a stop gap moment, I was underwater thrashing until my Dad grabbed hold of me and pulled me up for air. Then, he managed to get me and him AND the canoe to shore.

Though it was probably a millisecond, time stood still. I can't imagine how freaked out my Dad was afterwards, but during the swim to the shore, he was calm and in charge. We walked back through the woods to the lodge soaking wet, in bare feet, me in his arms.


From then on I had an aversion to water and to boats for a long time. My Mom put me in swimming lessons, which weren't successful. One swim instructor even had the gall to throw me in. I guess she figured survival would kick in or something and I would magically begin doing the front crawl. Can you imagine a swim instructor pulling that stunt now? No, structured swimming lessons were not for me. I felt such pressure to conform.....the anxiety created by these moments are still real to me as I remember them.

One summer, when I was around 8 years old.......the sun came out and stayed...........and stayed and stayed and stayed.......it was hot for three months straight. Consequently, the amount of times hanging around pools, beaches, and such increased........opportunity with no pressure offered me a summer of playing in the water. I started with my big toe and eventually could put my head under water.

I learned to float and to trust that I was going to be alright when it was at my own pace. Faith in the water.....found me when I wasn't looking for it and when it wasn't being forced on me.


Canoeing came along the following summer when I went to overnight camp at age 9 for the first time. On the first full day of activities, my group had signed up for canoeing and I had to go. I was terrified as I hung back hoping that I could figure out a way of keeping my feet firmly planted on the safe ground. As everyone paired up and grabbed their paddles, this friendly burly male camp counsellor nicknamed Onions (I don't know why ) approached me to see if I had a buddy. I told him that I was too afraid to go out in the canoe. I told him what had happened to me.

Somehow, he managed to encourage me into the bow.........with lots of soothing words and enthusiasm......as he pushed off the shore and slipped into the stern. Onions continued to talk and to ask me questions which made the first foray less monumental...
....like we were just having a nice conversation while we had an adventure. Along the way, he showed me how to hold my paddle which increased my confidence. He talked about canoeing as a journey. A fun journey, if you just went with the flow. And I was fine.......my trust in the flow happened because of the trust I had in a leader with empathy.

Every morning, from that first day, Onions would seek me out during breakfast to ask me what activity period I was signing up for canoeing. Everyday, I signed up. Everyday, he took me out. Just me, and we would share the journey. One day, Onions paddled our canoe past the point which was the boundary for the canoe area.

He kept talking in his soothing voice as we turned the point, paddling out of sight of the camp shore. And there on a large rock jutting out of the lake was a Great Blue Heron, perched like he was waiting for us. We shushed and drifted and looked in awe of the Heron majestically still......a gift of faith. A life lesson in taking a risk and in stretching boundaries. Letting it flow.




Camp and I were a good fit. I loved it from the moment I set foot on the now very familiar path which led down to the girls tent line. I belonged. I felt safe. I made lifelong friends, and I always knew someone older was keeping an eye on me. Eventually, I grew to be the one who kept an eye. Eventually I grew up to be the Counsellor in charge of canoeing, mastering the art of paddling.............and finding a deep connection to the pull of the paddle through the water.



There is nothing more spiritually enhancing for me than a solo paddle in a canoe.....gunnels almost touching the surface of the water, leaning just right, slicing through the calm........the canoe and the water an extension of me. It only happens when you let go a bit.....when you don't try so hard........when you don't go looking for the perfect stroke. Just like religion. Just like faith.


Swimming has never been my forte, though I learned......sometimes pushing hard and forcing myself to learn how to master the strokes well enough to be considered as a camp counsellor. That was my goal. I even had a few mishaps in the water again....once being trampled by a bunch of enthusiasts running into the water while I was coming out. Pushed under, fighting the sandy swirling water in my face, pressure on my back by another.....I was saved quickly by Skip, the Camp Director, who knowing I wasn't a good swimmer had been keeping an eye on me vigilantly. He pulled me out by the scruff of my neck....swooped me up and out onto the beach in one move. This time, it didn't cause me such anxiety. For one thing, I was a much more confident swimmer and I was old enough to know that I was being watched over by someone I trusted as much as my father.


For the last few summers as a camp counsellor, I went full circle and was offered the chance to teach the little ones who were afraid of the water. Me, a sinker..........and a bunch of non-floaters. Inch by inch, everyday we took our time learning together how to allow the water to be trusted. Initially I could see them trying to grab on......slashing and splashing with anxious limbs. But after more and more opportunities when the sun shone and shone........one by one they found their own way to put their faces in..........only to pop up with a big glorious smile of achievement.

Sometimes we just need time to be...........to learn to trust...........to take our own path, our own steps to meet our faith in the shallow end....or just around the point where the shore is left behind and a gift is awaiting sitting stoically on a jutting rock.


ps.
a few years after I had moved on from my world as a camp counsellor, I took a trip back to Camp to spend a few days just hanging and helping out with the kids and the counsellors, some of whom were little ones when I had worked there last. Naturally, I gravitated down to the canoe racks for a paddle, and asked a 10 year old girl if she wanted to join me. We grabbed a canoe and headed out, paddling towards the point with me silently wondering about the Heron who greeted me so long ago. I started chatting away, asking her questions about how long she had been at Kawabi etc. She told me that her parents had been camp counsellors there years before. It turned out her dad was Onions. I told her about his gentleness with a little girl who was very afraid.......and of the Heron as I felt a warming reinforcement of serendipty.



14 comments:

Shaz said...

Oh wow that is so so beautiful, I love how you had a full circle moment with onions daughter, just amazing.

kenju said...

A good example of reaping what you sow. (He sowed, you reaped and sowed some more)(does that make sense?) Great story!

awareness said...

Hi Shaz.....glad you enjoyed. Yes, the moment I realized I was in the stern of the canoe with Onion's daughter, I felt a real sense of "what was meant to be." I have written part of this story before in another context, and Onions has learned of it. We met again at a reunion just last year and I was welcomed by him with a heartfelt hug. It was a special moment.

Judy......it's exactly what I was thinking. The memory was triggered by the quote....just flowed out from it as an example. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

thanks you two.

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

my grandad used to say faith was being guided by a hand you can't hold.....

Matthew said...

I love the symbol of water as a faith tester that both sustains life yet can so easily take it away. (And our bodies are mostly liquid)
Your story is all most too fantastic to seem true yet I can feel its truth and know its heartbeat. Serendipity is all around if only we have eyes to see.

Yet again, thank you.

(Oh and I love the Alan Watt's quote, his "The Wisdom of Insecurity" is one of my favorites)

awareness said...

paul.....and as much as we really want that elusive hand....we just have to trust in the guidance all around us. I think I'd like your grandad.

matthew....I heard a radio doc. retrospective yesterday on the CBC about Alan Watts, and was intrigued by some of what he had written and by his interpretation of eastern philosophy etc....and the major role he played in the 60's bringing these ideas into the North American mainstream. the "clips they used" in the doc of speeches from Alan and quotes referred to water and I was quite intrigued. He seemed like a true mystic, but a soul who fought his own demons along the way.

After the documentary was over, I went online to find the quote I had heard....et voila......

I would like to read more of his Zen stuff and his philosophies around his take on life being more playful and not so darn serious.

thank you for the lovely comments...all true story.....:) There have been others during this part of my life, all connected to this special place, which have made it all the more special.

Disillusioned said...

Thank you for this. I found it moving and relevant. I'm grateful for those who are alongside me in my fear, right now.

Michael K. Althouse said...

I remember when I first met you (figuratively speaking), you were writing about a reunion and how exciting it was. Having experiences such as those through life are in many ways what it's all about.

Guess what? Michele sent me this time!

Mike

sally said...

what a beautiful and inspiring post. thank you for sharing it. sally. x

awareness said...

Hi Caroline.....am glad you found something to help you in your own journey...... we are all tackling some form of fear. You aren't alone.

Mike...How hilarious that it would Michele who brought you here....see, we would've met anyways.....it was fate! Yes, it was almost a year ago when our bloggie paths crossed. cheers to you my friend.

Hi Sally....welcome!! Where is St. Albans? I know I should know that, but I am unsure....

Perplexio said...

Beautiful post! I too enjoy canoeing, I also enjoy kayaking. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to do so this summer when I visit my family in the Adirondacks. There's something really serene about being out on the water in a canoe or kayak.

Kamsin said...

I love the initial quote and a beautiful post about learning to trust and letting go. This line: "It only happens when you let go a bit.....when you don't try so hard........when you don't go looking for the perfect stroke."

awareness said...

thanks perplex! My goal this summer is to get out on the water more often than in the recent past.

hi Kasmin.....I loved that quote too. Alan Watts had some very interesting things to say....I look forward to reading more of his thoughts.

paris parfait said...

This is fascinating, as my daughter had similar experiences - first swimming as a baby, then nearly drowning as a small child and gradually finding a way to adapt and even enjoy the water.