Friday, July 20, 2007

Who's sitting out front?

We have become a society of back deck dwellers, or so it seems in this part of the society I live in. Our backyards are where we tend to seek refuge from the rest of the world. And that's all fine and good, but I'm wondering what this is doing to the fabric of our neighbourhoods. No one seems to be paying attention to one another. When did this happen? When did we all switch from the front porch to the back deck?

Community is all about connections......ones that may start just by observing one another and saying hello regularly to your neighbours. Sitting on the veranda watching the world go by helps us connect......to feel a part of the neighbourhood.

Knowing who lives on your street........where the kids live and what they are up to......which individuals may be celebrating a milestone or struggling with their health.....what is happening to the young family who just brought home a new baby.......is all part of feeding the foundation of community. And yet, most of us most likely can't even name our neighbours. There are some people on my street who if I passed in the grocery store, I wouldn't recognize because I hardly ever see them. They are in their backyards as I am. During the week, we are off at work. On the weekends, we are busy catching up at home. Heads down, we don't have time to look up to study each other's faces.


I went for a stroll at lunchtime the other day to capture some of the elegance of downtown Frederiction. The verandas and front facades of the beautiful old homes always capture my attention. All unique in their design and decor......

As I was taking these photos to share here, I realized that I never saw one person sitting in a hammock or wicker chair watching the world go by. Not one person. I realize it was the middle of a working day, but c'mon......



It doesn't matter if the front of your home has an elegant veranda space or just a one step stoop onto a city street, its time we made ourselves our morning coffee and headed out front. Even if you don't see anyone else venturing out, you can be sure someone else is paying attention looking out their window.........registering you in their minds.


simple and welcoming......a symbol of an open and supportive community



We just need to see the smiling interactive faces to prove it is.

14 comments:

Karen said...

What stunning photos of very gracious homes. Love them. Times have definitely changed Dana. When I was a child we knew everyone in the street and everyone looked out for each other. We used to put on little concerts and all the neighbours would come and pay "admission" to watch us sing and dance. Can you imagine anything like that happening now? Its a great shame that people keep more to themselves because we could all be of great help to each other if we just reached out the hand of friendship.

Bar L. said...

Wonderful photos! You would be very disappointed at the average neighborhood around my area :( We don't even know each others names in most cases. People drive into their garage and close the door behind them then walk into the house. Its sad. I grew up with all the neighbors being friends. I miss that.

kenju said...

Nearly every home I lived in as a child had a porch. In the summer, we practicallyu lived on the porch, and we knew everyone who passed by and spoke to them all. I long for those days!

Jenny said...

Well, if I had these front porches, I'd be out there everyday, passing out cookies and lemonade. Hell, I'd LIVE on these front porches.

Great pictures!

awareness said...

gypsy....the photos took themselves really....so many wonderful shots to choose from in this city! Like you, we always had carnivals and lemonade stands happening....there is a bit of that around my neighbourhood, though my street doesn't have many kids on it. But, it's not as interactive as it used to be, thats for sure.

hey layla....thanks...there are some streets in my neighbourhood who are very open and neighbourly...block parties and such all the time. My street is full of introverts who keep to themselves (and have grown up kids too) for the most part...they do keep an eye on the kids and always comment about how much they LOVE to see them out playing road hockey or basketball. But, there is little day to day stuff.

Judy.....front porches or well used front yards definately. That's what I remember too. And the whole neighbourhood was free rein!!

anon boxer...me too!! I'd love to have one of these big old rambling houses. The last photo actually is a big house that has been turned into a Bed and Breakfast. And the more ornate one? It's part of the university....called Renaissance College....an undergraduate leadership degree program happens there. It used to be a female dorm for years and years....

Moogie said...

These are wonderful photos! What a lovely neighborhood. Since moving from California, to the south I have been amazed at the change in the type of thing you mention above. On our street at least, everyone goes visiting. Now, during the summer you might just go knock on the door to say hi because of the heat, but the sense of having friends all around you who are willing to help you when you need it is wonderful.

Again, great photos!

BreadBox said...

Awareness -- I thought that I had left a comment here before, but it must have been munged by the computer problems I had this morning/afternoon.
Stunning photographs again: are they from the George St area of F'ton? The ones that you mentioned the other day?

LOML and I are really lucky to have an old house -- probably c 1820, though we only have records back to 1870 -- with a lovely front porch: we love to sit outside and acknowledge passers by. And in Woodstock the house I lived in a few years back (a lot of years back!) has a lovely front porch. As a young doughbox I used to like to sit out there and shock the older sensibilities by having a beer bottle in my hand at the time!

N.

kenju said...

Michele sent me back to see your lovely porches again. I think I like the yellow Victorian the best! I always wanted an old house with a porch on 3 sides!

Bernie said...

Here in Australia, it is very similar, but we have always sat on our front Verandah! We used to get quite a few hello's from people walking by admiring our garden and then seeing us either on the verandah or pottering around, we are always there!
Here from Michele's this afternoon in Sydney!

awareness said...

breadbox...YES! They are from the George Street area.....The yellow and the pink houses are right down the street from the Market. A few of them I took on University Ave, and some on Waterloo Row....I took many and was LATE returning to work ...... ah but it was worth it!!
Woodstock has some gorgeous homes too. We thought seriously about purchasing one downtown, but I love my view of the river too much now to give it up......

Judy....I do too! there is another yellow victorian just down the street from this one. I took some photos of it too because it is my REAL favourite, but they came out blurry. Will have to try again..

b...in sydney......if i stand out on my back deck that sits up on the hill with a view of my river....if I look hard, I think I can see you waving at me from your veranda.....hi there!!

awareness said...

Moogie....sorry I missed you! thank you for your feedback...glad you enjoyed them....
how lucky you are to be living in a neighbourhood like that. such a wonderful sense of belonging felt by all

Becky68 said...

I myself, love my front porch, I feel a little exposed because it's only about 15 feet off the road I live on (But it's a country road so not too heavily traveled)
I love your local houses though, I miss such beautiful architecture, living here in Virginia in the southwest portion of the state runs to simple farm houses & doublewide trailers. I think my favorite of the houses you display is the second one, that pale blue with the lacy gingerbread is just beautiful!
Here from Micheles.

Andrea said...

veranda is one of my favourite words along with the word breeze .....front verandas tend to catch a breeze especially at dusk. Front porches should be celebrated just like a dry martini.

awareness said...

Hey Mom....

Good to see you found your way again to the land of blog!

Am missing my favourite veranda in Spencer's Island....and hope to one day sit there again at dusk.