Sunday, July 01, 2007

eh?

Big sky, unassuming flowers.


If you ever hear someone asking if it's alright to fly their national flag because they don't want to appear too showy, you can safely assume you're talking to a Canadian. Though we boast about being able to make love in a canoe, no one in this country has ever had the nerve to try it and then talk about it. I did have a friend who could do a handstand in a canoe and assumed given he could successfully accomplish that feat, he would be a sex in the canoe contender. I wonder if he ever tried? If he has, there is only one other person (unless he has done this many times) in the whole world who would know. I hope she walks around with her little secret smiling and feeling very patriotic.


John Cleese who played an uptight British barrister in A Fish Called Wanda told the outrageously risk taking American thief played by Jamie Lee Curtis that the most embarrassing thing that could happen to a British man is to be caught with his pants down. So, of course when the scene in the movie finally occured, you felt such a deep blushing feeling for the guy. I thought of this scene this morning as I was wondering what the most embarrassing thing would be to happen to a Canuck? And I've come to the conclusion that it is more subtle than that. It has to do with being caught being too ostentatious. Yeah..........if you boast too much, if you brag about your accomplishments, if you flash a lot of jewelry or loudly announce that you've met with heaping success.......watch out. The nasty tsk tsking eye contact will undoubtedly meet you with judgement.


You can get away with wearing a plaid shirt anywhere in this country. But, if you wear plaid pants to go with it? Well...........that's just going too far. If you're going to successfully make love in a canoe.....don't be boasting about it over a case of beer. If you want to wave your flag, wait until the next Olympics when you can blend in with all the other crazy nationalists around the world.....or do it in your bedroom. Pants are optional.

Canadians.........we're proud of not boasting about our pride. How weird is that?
Actually, it's a little more complicated because we are still a country of people who are constantly gazing at our navels wondering who the frig we are.....a pastime as significant as watching Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday nights. Nothing seems to widen the great divide in this polar gap country than the ongoing discussion about what makes us Canadian.......which always seems to lead us to the border to the south of us and beyond. WE know what we arent. But, if some folks had their way, we would have a national inquiry headed up by some retired judge or politician whose mandate it would be to drive from coast to coast to coast discussing everything from beavers to birch bark, from fiddle music to innushuks from grain elevators to sky scrapers from Snowbirds to Mounties.
OMG!! As I'm writing this, on the Canadian Broadcasting Corp Radio 1 news, the first story is an overview of the Canada celebrations happening in our capital. Big celebrations are underway to mark the 140th birthday of this country, and do you know what the premise was of the story? It turns out that we are becoming more openly expressive of our patriotism.....according to the latest poll (i'm not making this up) 57% of us know a family member who owns a Canadian flag. Methinks 42% of them still have the flag folded up in cellophane tucked away on their shelf in their closet. How hilarious that this is polled!!!!
It is true that we are becoming more open with our national pride, and I do believe it's a good thing because my God we are blessed to be living here. It wasn't until I travelled abroad as a young adult that I even thought about my Canadianism. I just was. How this move to know what constitutes our sense of who we are began is most likely up for debate....we like panel discussions.......... it most likely began when Lester B. Pearson approved our flag ....it was helped by Expo '67 in Montreal when the theme song was an anthem about this country sung by little kid voices..........it was jump started by constitutional talks and the signing of the Charter of Rights which of course is still a porcupine quill stuck in the side of some. Prior to those significantly historical events, Canadians quietly went about their business playing the role of peace keepers, trying to help out with our loyalty.
yes, we have symbols............the loon, the mountie, the canoe, the beaver, the Canadian Shield, soap stone carvings, movies that no one wants to watch because they are so dour, comedians we export at a frenetic pace, pop song divas, ..........yes we have songs which stir our emotions (thankfully not sung by the pop song divas)........and we do have a pretty great looking distinctive flag. And for the most part Canadians agree on the symbols.....a consensus on what they mean will never be found, and that's alright. But, I think we need to grow up and get over our fear of being considered gregarious or ostentatious. I think that if one happens to be able to successfully make love in a canoe, one should get their own show on CBC in order to boast about it.
Happy Canada Day...........oooooooowhooooooo! Bring on the sparklers!!
ps.....just so you know? The canoe lovemaking thing? I'm not a kiss and tell kind of person.....sorry..........it's a little canuck quirk i have.

13 comments:

kenju said...

HAPPY CANADA DAY!

I think I'm oing to rent A Fish Called Wanda again; it's been a long time since I saw it, and I remember loving it!

Bar L. said...

You Canuk's are all alike - wonderful :) This was a very fun post. I think I'll have my friend Doug read it, he doesn't read blogs but he'll like this one (he's from Calgary - born and raised and still there!)

carmilevy said...

I won't canoe-kiss-and-tell either, but you'll forgive me if I smirk a little.

Laser-class sailboats also present interesting nautical challenges. So I've heard.

Happy Canada Day, eh! We're watching the neighborhood fireworks now. I have no idea how the kids are sleeping through this.

Thank God we live here! I love this country of ours.

JP (mom) said...

Wonderful, interesting piece on our most excellent neighbours! Cheers & Happy Canada Day!! xx, JP

awareness said...

Hi Judy....it's been a while since I have seen the movie as well. Yes, time to re-rent that one....oh and perhaps the Fawlty Towers episodes. John Cleese always makes me laugh.

Hey Layla...glad you enjoyed...and welcome Doug!! Brother of Bob? A true Canadian name.....a la MacKenzie brothers.

Carmi.....laser class sailboats? Whoa! I'm thinking that canoe enthusiasts are Tim's affecionados whereas laser sailboat lovers opt for Starbucks, whaddya think?
Canada? I can't imagine living anywhere else. Hope the fireworks were as marvellous in SW Ontario as they were over the Saint John river.

Deb....glad you liked it. Our navel gazing tendancies do drum up a side effect. Our humour is dry and toasty. :)

Rainbow dreams said...

Happy Canada day - hope it was a good one

not sure I will be able to step into a canoe again (not that I do it often!) without thinking of this post ;)

Unknown said...

Happy Canada Day (belated)!!!
You bring out all my loving Canadian roots. I am proud to be the daughter of a New Bruinswicker!
I hope I get to meet you sometime!

awareness said...

hi Katie.....yes, well I don't think I'll ever be able to write another post about canoeing and have it taken seriously.....ah well, I loved writing this one.

tori....yes, we all have a bit of the loonie in our Canadian roots...and that's a good thing.
I would love to meet you too....my door is always open if you happen to head north. I'm serious. Bring Jim and Adeline too.

Karen said...

Well I am an Aussie and very proud of it. We are not really a flag waving Nation either but I don't think its a lack of patriotism,its just not something we do.

Big events such as Australia Day, international sporting events etc, thats a different matter. I notice in movies that a lot of Americans fly the flag outside their homes. If an Aussie did that it would more likely be the flag of their favourite football team....lol.

Shaz said...

I Second Gypsy lol (go the Lions), Canadians and Aussies are very similar, we loose all our actors and musicians to England and the USA.

I love being an Aussie and the canoe well poses a challenge but the back of the ute is always a beauty. LOL

awareness said...

hey gypsy and shaz over there in Oz. I agree....aussies and canucks do have many similarities, some of which are tied in with our similar links to the UK and the USA..... I had an opportunity years ago to celebrate Australia Day with two jolly swagmen....in Italy of all places. We spent the day learning aussie drinking games and learning about aussie rules football...oh, and singing some song about Mathilda (forever etched in my head).....but never did they ever tell me about the back of the ute. What the hell is an ute??

Canadian Sentinel said...

I do recall you mentioning something about horizontal mamboin' in canoes and it being a Canuck thing...

Now that's a new one... some folks like leather, whips & chains... some like canoes...

Each to one's own, eh?

Doin' it in a canoe, no problem. Just takes some concentration and coordination. If things get too wild, *SPLASH*! Heh-heh!

And if the water's cold, there could be a bit of a letdown...

As for pride in one's country, it being Canada in our case, I think we need to scream a lot more to celebrate our country, kinda like when some hockey player scores a goal or something like that.

We gotta pour into the streets, shirtless, chests painted with the maple leaf (yes, the girls, too, why not?!), and hollerin' "We're Canucks! We're here, we're number one and we kick ass! Yahhhh!"

Or something along those lines... sound like fun, eh? Much more fun than just standin' around politely waving a tiny little paper flag, in my opinion... Gotta get wild & boisterous... hey, why not? It's our country and we can yell if we want! :)

Just don't forget the beer, eh?

awareness said...

maybe the canoe thing is an Upper Canadian joke...and since I'm one of those who found her way to the Maritimes....?? I do hope it has no reference to Trudeau as we know his love of the paddle.

I agree with you....we should be more vocal about our patriotism, but I just don't think it's part of the collective temperment. I do see more of it.....and it rears it's head when the beer is flowing and the goals are scoring......