Wednesday, July 25, 2007

hungry heart


Wilmot United Church, downtown Fredericton

front facade

"We hunger to be known and understood. We hunger to be loved. We hunger to be at peace inside our own skins. We hunger not just to be fed these things but, often without realizing it, we hunger to feed others these things because they too are starving for them. We hunger not just to be loved but to love, not just to be forgiven but to forgive, not just to be known and understood for all the good times and bad times that for better for worse have made us who we are, but to know and understand each other to the same point of seeing that, in the last analysis, we all have the same good times, the same bad times, and that for that very reason there is no such thing in all the world as anyone who is really a stranger."

Frederick Buechner


And to think we all consider ourselves so unique!! Of course we do have our own unique handprint we can offer to the world. We all have a different combination of personality traits, of interests, likes and dislikes. Separately we have our individual desires. We make different choices and we react differently to situations. What we share is a hunger.....to give, to receive, to connect and to belong. No matter where you live, how you are brought up, what you look like, how old you are...........we all share a hunger. And that's why no one is a stranger. I love this quote!! Thank you to the "people" especially Dustin at Imaginations in Unity for originally posting it. :)


Wilmot United, side facade.

Don't you love the blue? One day, I'll take some photos of the inside because it has been handpainted by a famous Canadian artist, Alex Colville. It's very unique. It's also a friendly place to find yourself on a Sunday morning.

8 comments:

Robert said...

Buechner is one of alltime faves sana!!!!! Thanks for sharing this and hopw you are continuing to blossom in your own lil cubbyhole part of the world still think of you when Im up in the wee hours sleepless :)

Dustin said...

The picture of the church is fantastic. It is such a beautiful structure. They don't really build them like that much anymore. It's all about use-ability and mass market appeal.

awareness said...

thanks robert....Buechner is a treasure. His writings are so accessibly written and meaningful to me too.

Dustin...I do love this church. It was built in 1851 right in the centre of the city. it's funny though, when one sees something on a daily basis, one tends to forget how unique or beautiful it can be. I find my camera is helping me find these gems again....helps me look at things with a fresh set of eyes.

take care

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

ah, and now the wisdom of dear uncle freddie....

there has been so much good stuff on your blog of late my head hurts.....

Jenny said...

Ahh, lovely photos with lovely prose and thoughts.

Thanks for starting my day out so nicely.. it's why I stop by first thing.

That blue is FANTASTIC.

awareness said...

paul....don't know where it is coming from.....will just go with the flow. I seem to be stumbling serendipitously on pieces of writing which resonate with me as well as fold into my own present ruminations.....it's kind of freaking me out.

anon......im really touched by that. thank you. will try again to offer something for your am reading :) I have an idea percolating right now. And like all ideas, I have no idea how well it will translate and/or transform. It's all a mystery...writing that is.

Shaz said...

I would love to spend a Sunday morning there with you Dana xx

awareness said...

You're always welcome....though I don't go very often. I have good intentions, but somehow I end up missing out. Be forewarned, however. When I do get there, I'm usually an emotional minefield.
Church seems to do that to me.