Friday, July 27, 2007

Seeking some direction

Pensive Lily cooling off,
reflecting on the day,
searching for her stick,
and watching a seagull.
And who said dogs can't multi-task?
Of course, she has her back to the sunset.
She can multi-task, but she's not always that bright.





Yesterday, I received this email...........


Thank you for submitting your ideas and concepts for Blogs to CanadaEast.com If you are receiving this email, you have been selected as a possible Blogger on our site.

The next step in this process is to submit a sample blog entry for our review. Simply write up a sample of what one of your blog entries might look like. We’re looking for writing ability, an understanding of the topic, humour, etc.

In addition please answer the below questions:

Proposed Blog Name:
Planned Update Frequency (daily, weekly, etc.):
City of Residence:
Topics to be Covered (politics, religion, entertainment, sports, arts, parenting, etc.):

Also, for your information, CanadaEast will be providing the platform and tools to publish you blog along with an existing audience (thousands of Atlantic Canadians every day). You will not be compensated monetarily for your blog initially. I say initially because if your blog can generate a certain traffic of its own, we would be willing to begin paying bloggers as freelance writers. Your blog’s traffic will be monitored on a monthly basis and if it can sustain a certain number of page views over a 3 month period, you will be moved up to a paid blogger position.




Wow! My first day home in search of meaning ......... and I receive this lovely invite. I had whipped off a quick application online over a month ago and then forgot about it. Turns out, these folks may be interested in posting some of my musings. CanadaEast is the website for all of the newsprint journals in the Maritimes. So, the readership is potentially big. I'm thrilled!! Who knows where this could lead?? And, I'm SO ready for a new journey......



The topics to be covered are broad, as they are on this blog. And this is where I am asking for some help from you crazy cats who read this.

Is there a particular piece you liked that I should consider submitting?

Is there a topic I have written about you think I've covered well, or have provided a fresh perspective?

What angle should I approach this from?

Any ideas for a blog name? And no "Mommyblogger" isn't an option. ick.

Any advice.................will be warmly received. AND if you aren't a blogger and can't leave a comment on my blog, please send me an email. You can find my address through my profile on the sidebar.



It is because of the comments and encouragement I have received that I have found my confidence and my writing voice to step out there and I thank you, thank you, thank you. I really do want your feedback to help me plan this out.
We're off to Nova Scotia today............mmmmmmmmmm salty breezes await, as do good eats and tasty libations.
Enjoy your weekend..........I look forward to reading your comments.










Don't know who lives here, but words out she's one sexy little number.

15 comments:

The House on Big Island said...

When in doubt - fall back on "Grace"

It is a beautiful story, so wonderfully written and it still brings real tears of joy to my eyes - when I read it (even though I know the ending already!)

Not that others aren't worthy - just that I love that one.

Unknown said...

That is so exciting...!!!
Congrats. I am going to ponder answers to your questions and will get back to you.
Enjoy lovely NS!

kenju said...

Congrats are in order! I think everything you have written is worthy. Owing to my poor memory, I would have to go back a read a lot to give you an example, but really, you could choose just about anything. You could.

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi Dana, you go just as I arrive back... enjoy your break :)

What a lovely opportunity and congratulations...

You are a wonderful writer - I think what always comes across is the spontaneity, feeling and passion in your writing that comes from within and so I would find it hard to give you boundaries and barriers to work within - I'd worry it would tie you down... actually am thinking of a post that kind of sums up what I am thinking - I need to search it out and will e mail you with it when I do....
Having said that I know you need to define this somewhat and so I am being less than helpful.. sorry - and cheers - raising a glass to yours - here's to stretching wings and pastures new, Katie,x

Dustin said...

Dana,

At the moment I don't have any ideas for you, sorry :( But this is exciting and I wish you the best.

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

not ignoring this.....just thinking deeply concerning subject matter.....

......well deserved!!!!!!

Queen Mel said...

A great big congrats is in order for you, for myself I couldn't get enough of your writings about your backpacking trip, the people (especially the old woman who brought you in). Your thoughts and detail on that was amazing. I say this blog name is pretty great "Awareness" - it can't get any better or can it?

Maybe these for ideas:
Awareness Within
Ink Dabbing
Key Notes
Life Inc. (I like this one or even spell it out to get the full meaning?)

Good Luck, can't wait to see what you do.....

Queen Mel said...

The title is : Sabahat (the blog I love- about the shawl) and it was posted on March 11, 2006...

I'm a detailed person, had to go find it and re-read it :o)

J Pearson said...

Continue being who you are;
and do not try too hard.
Well done.

Ellen said...

There was never a doubt in my mind that you would become a "published" author... heck, I'm still waiting for the book to come out. I think anything you submit is a hit.... there are no misses in your roll of musings, my friend... they are all worthy of publication.

Thanks for the link.... although I must admit that I've been very bad about getting over to blogland lately. Somehow 24 hours in a day is still not enough for me to keep up with the many demands of life. I'll drop an "e" on you soon.... in the meantime, have a great time off from the regular rigger-ma-roll of your life. Hellos to all!

awareness said...

Hi everyone....just returned from Nova Scotia.....thank you for such wonderful feedback. I have a couple of names in mind.....I want it to be a hook of some kind and not too new age-ish...as I don't know the demographics of who accesses this site but I want it to be intriguing enough for a broader group to want to check it out. then again, I may just go with what feels comfortable. "Awareness" works for me because it has given me an umbrella theme to work from. I don't feel tied to one particular subject/topic.

Daisy....have thought about submitting the piece, but since it was already posted on the CBC website, I thought I better send something else.

Tori....look forward to hearing from you

Judy...thank you. what a wonderful thing to say. I really appreciate your vote of confidence.

Katie...thank you for the email...and will be in touch.

Dustin.....thanks.

Br. David....thank you. It's very good advice and I will take it to heart.

Tay...great ideas and very much in line with what I was thinking....one of them I'm leaning towards is "emerging awareness" because it suits my writing more than just awareness.....my writing is offering me one avenue to begin figuring stuff out.

I'm thrilled you liked the piece I wrote about Sabahat. I didn't realize you were reading my blog back then. Am thinking I will repost it because it was posted when so few were reading my stuff and I felt good after I wrote that one. She was a very special woman.

Ellen!!! OMG I've missed you. Get back to writing missie. I'll be in touch this week.....I promise.

oh, and paul......thinking deeply is known to make one's head pop off. Please proceed with caution. I AM curious and keen to receive your input however.

Anonymous said...

How about Muskie Thoughts?

just kidding :)
Congratulations my dear
love Zoe

awareness said...

Bella Lisa, momma of beautiful Willow and a kawabi kindred I always love to hear from.......

no matter what I call my blog the words will always have a flavour of Muskie thoughts that's for sure.

ps am so pleased to know you're out there and stop in here from time to time. I wasn't aware of that. today is a day i wish I was jumping into the water at Koogles Point with you. take care Zoe....

Matthew said...

Yes Awareness, I agree with previous comments that so much of what you write is worthy for submission. Why do you think we keep coming back:-)?

You've probably already considered it but can you keep Awareness for your next blog? Perhaps you would like to re-invent yourself for your new venture...just a thought.

Congrats!!

Andrea said...

congratulations dana ....also enjoyed your Grace story ...obviously because it stayed in my memory ....but, your humorous writings are very clever and I know humour is difficult to write. you are GOOD ....love you.