Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Yes, Minister





You would've thought Queen La Deeee Dah was arriving to my office today given the level of feathered fur flying frenzy flapping all around me all week AND some of last week. There's nothing quite like a visit from the new government Minister to get management all a quivery in their booties. From the moment the announcement arrived declaring her intentions to meet the "wee" people, the boss squirrels have been busy collecting and assessing their nuts...... methinks some of them were cracked and misshapened when they fell from the tree.

Have you ever heard a squirrel squawk and chatter when they are all a flutter? Its an incessantly funny noise, but one you would seriously find irritating if it continued ad nauseum through many workdays. Despite the fact that my new office has walls......they are made of bristol board. The noise rattled and cackled manically, pitching to a crescendo this morning. The cackling boss squirrel was bouncing off the walls sounding at times like a bagpipe running out of air. It was so annoying and so unbelievably out of proportion. Luckily, I was able to beg off to a meeting with a group of wonderful community people who counsel and work directly with families who have experienced abuse and violence, thereby avoiding most of the kerfuffle. Committee work with meaning. When I was in my office, I tried to soothe the air with Haydn. Even Haydn couldn't cut the cackle, it was that offensive.

Why do people get so darned bent out of shape when a Government bigwig comes a calling? Honestly, they are elected officials............ yes, there is a need for some decorum, but to put them up on some pedestal and treat them like they are made of delicate blown glass is just plain goofy. Truth and sincerity goes completely out the window. Instead, a bunch of halllaaaabaaallloney is created in a fancy schmancy powerpoint presentation to impress and to ignore the facts. A schedule of events is created and recreated, discussed, assessed, changed, expanded, contracted, altered, and fine tuned, all at the expense of taxpayers.

It was decided that presentations over coffee in the boardroom where we the wee people could meet and greet La Dee Dah...... orders were given (honest to God) to "stick to the script" and the tight info sharing timelines. After the presentations, an entourage of squirrels would take her on a tour.......past a couple of dirt mounds where supposedly a couple of apartments are being built, a visit with a client (who was chosen after CAREFUL deliberation and input to choose the right one...........one who wouldn't go off the deep end and dump on the department heaven forbid......when I was asked for suggestions and told that they were afraid of any "outbursts" I shook my head and told them I couldn't think of one soul who didn't have a free will to say exactly what was on their mind.

The last stop was a small public housing cul-de-sac where 13 families including 30 kids live. This was the scariest part of the nerve wracking squirrel day because there was NO WAY they could control the outcome............they would have to trust the families and the kids.

So, the Minister arrived on time at 2:00 pm. I entered the boardroom from the back door thinking I would keep a low profile, but as luck would have it there she was...............casually dressed, hair a little mussed up from a winter hat, pouring people coffee. She turned to me immediately, hand out to shake and a big smile on her friendly human face and said enthusiastically........

"Hi, I'm Mary!"

I enthusiastically replied to the Right Honourable Big Boss Minister lady whom I'm supposed to address formally...........no curtesy mind you........but formally..............

"Hi Mary! I'm Muskie!"

Well, no I didn't say Muskie..........I said my real name....Awareness (ooops! I did the same thing years ago when I was 8 month preggers waddling onto a stuffed hot plane.....wanting only to sit and forget that I was flying because I hate flying and I was introduced to the then Premier by his wife whom I worked with at the Community College.....she said............"Muskie, I'd like you to meet my husband Frank." Without thinking............"Hi Frank. Nice to meet you. How did you enjoy Toronto? Mind the protruding stomach......it's just a bulging baby and it has made me puffy all over..............")

Today.........after our informal intros we started chatting about politics and how wonderful it is to learn and how much she's enjoying her new job, and how she's settling into her apartment........regular stuff. She reminded me of my Aunt who is as sociable and friendly as one can get. Worried squirrels looked on when she asked about a specific client issue she had learned about, wondered what could be done. She then pulled her executive assistant over to follow up with me. He and I chatted on and off throughout the presentation from the squirrel titans.

OUT came the big concept words that have no meaning when bunched together in between a list of "best practises" and "future visions" You ready for them...........................?

Integration, Sustainability, Self-Sufficiency, Self-Reliance, Team Cohesion

What was interesting was that the Minister asked real questions and she sat up on the desk comfortably.........she cut through the bullshit, talking plain talk. She was curious and engaged. No airs......

Then came another Mary, my colleague...................the only integrated, cohesive, self-reliant, doer in the bunch. She shone as she shared warm stories about community involvement, about members of the community stepping out of their high flying jobs to sponsor 35 public housing children to a party, and night at the theatre and a chance to meet the actors, about a little girl who took part in a dance workshop with the same group of kids but shone brightly in her dance moves........and how she is now taking weekly dance lessons with other girls her own age from all neighbourhoods, all because of the local arts community stepping up and supporting her.... how this little girl now has a "big sister" who melted at her story and stepped up anonymously to buy the little girl dance outfits and toe tapping shoes whenever needed. Brilliant stories!!!!

Too bad the fur flapping frenzied squirrels didn't hear a word she said, nor the emotional hope she spread. No..........they were all antsy and sweaty watching the clock, fretting over what my co-worker may say that was off script. The Minister heard it all. She saw through the bristol boardroom walls.

The visit to meet the families? Aside from the fact that the squirrels rushed both Mary's, the families spoke of their lives growing up in public housing, described their struggles, emphasized the importance of having a real connection to people like my Mary who works with them everyday, guiding and listening and coaching............. they spoke the truth. They spoke from their hearts. And all was well.

Why are people so afraid of real?





2 comments:

JP (mom) said...

I have not had a high-level public official visit my agency before; however we've had some mid-levels and in any event, it is important to stay true to your mission and vision and impart the real work that you're doing so that officials understand the role they are playing. Much peace and good wishes, JP

awareness said...

Hi jp

I live in the provincial capital. The Legislature is two door down from my office. My Minister's office is around the corner. Bigwig visits are relatively commonplace because we are so close. We are often working in a fish bowl.....pilot projects, testing new software, etc etc......
The reaction yesterday (which happens every time) is absurd given that we are visited often.

And yet.........they might as well be 200 miles away because often they don't see the real picture.