Monday, December 04, 2006

interwoven lives





"Your life and my life flow into each other as wave flows into wave and unless there is peace and joy and freedom for you, there can be no real peace or joy or freedom for me. To see reality -- not as we expect it to be but as it is -- is to see that unless we live for each other and in and through each other, we do not really live satisfactorily; that there can really be life only where there really is, in just this sense, love."
Frederick Buechner.

Tonight was spent wrapping presents that are taking a journey with my husband on Wednesday to Ontario. I love wrapping presents, adorning them with big bows, writing the gift card to attach to them. Each time I cut the paper to fit the box I end up thinking about the person who will be opening it on Christmas Day. Wondering about how they are doing, wondering if they will like the gift. Our lives are intertwined. We may not all be together, but we will share each other's joy and peace and pain.

I am blessed to have many people, both family and friends in my life, all of whom are uniquely special. I am blessed to meet new people everyday who touch me with their stories. This year has been especially abundant (oh there's that word again!!) because of the old cherished friends from camp who have returned to my world and of the new ones whose friendships are just blossoming. We are all intertwined. I think of them often.

Certain individuals somehow sneak up under my skin. Sometimes it's apparent why this is so........our lives are intertwined daily. But, there are other special times when an individual takes me by surprise..........like Buechner so eloquently writes..."as wave flows unto wave"...........and wraps a bow around my life. One never knows when a new kindred will enter your life, because often we don't know how or why it happens. It's just one of those things that seem to have a bigger meaning which will forever remain God's secret. And yet, I'm flooded with questions for a new kindred in order to learn their stories, to know their colour palette and how their expreiences have impacted their life.......I want to know so I can feel the sense of wave flow.

All intertwined..........all living for and in and through each other. We are never alone.

What a relief!





4 comments:

JP (mom) said...

What a tremendous quote! I was wrapping gifts the other day as well, and felt that joy and love for others that you described so beautifully. Great post! Much peace and love, JP

awareness said...

thank you Deborah. I'm so pleased you found me! Your comments are so encouraging.

I do love how you write as well.

D.

Rainbow dreams said...

Such a relief indeed that we are all intertwined, yet thats where all the problems stem from too....

but exactly what makes life as colourful as it is.
I finished the bulk of my Christmas shopping today and it is waiting to be wrapped, just as the tree is waiting to be finished, we're in the middle of many things over here at the moment.

A great quote too, thank you, Katie

awareness said...

Hi Katie!

You're WAY ahead of me. Right now I'm just focused on getting stuff ready for tomorrow. J. leaves first thing in the AM to head up to Ontario to help his parents prepare for Christmas. They are both ill and frail and need a lot of help. It's difficult to live so far away when the "intertwining" is needed.

The kids and I will decorate the inside of the house while he's gone. The tree won't go up until the week before Christmas.

Trees are plentiful here......I live in Christmas tree land. There is a wonderful man who sells them from his farm at the bottom of my street. He has big glorious trees...tall and sturdy.....

Intertwined lives.....a blessing and sometimes a burden.