Wednesday, December 20, 2006

faith


"Faith is a passionate intuition"
Willliam Wordsworth




The cliche "seeing is believing" really doesn't make the cut all on it's own because if you have a strong belief in someone or something, you have to feel it deep in your gut. Reinforced by the conclusion in our thinking that there is no way it can't be true, faith materializes.

As much as we strive for facts............show me, tell me, prove to me........passionate intuition is the depth of our trust.
Trust in people.......trust in circumstantial happenings...... trust in the broader reason behind events which may not seem to have any rhyme or reason........ trust in receiving guidance to make the right decisions ...... trust in God.

Yesterday, two separate people stories intertwined. It fed the passion behind my intuition. It strengthened my faith.

Last summer I met a woman through my work travels. Alone in the world after caring for both her parents when they were ill and dying, and then experiencing the disolution of her marriage, she found herself suffering from depression and physical pain. She had recently moved to town to be closer in proximity to her sister. Her home, located in a very large trailer park was filled with collections of things she has grown to rely on for comfort. Cozy and welcoming, one automatically felt like you'd entered a safe sanctuary. We spent a couple of hours talking at her kitchen table, mostly about her health issues at first and then onto broader topics ranging from faith, family and friends. It was apparent that this woman may have felt quite lonely before she moved into the community, but she had the ability and motivation to reach out......to meet many others and to begin to develop a new familial type of support.

Her story stayed with me, and I had often wondered about how she was doing.


In September, I met with a man who's troubles were so painful and plentiful. It was difficult to know where to start to help him. He lives in the same trailer park, but his home was rundown beyond repair. The day I met with him, he had only a sleeve of crackers left to eat. He told me about caring for his dying parents, of how he had sustained a head injury when he was young from being hit by a car while driving his bike. He told me about how alone and tired and hungry he was.........how last winter he went 3 months without running water.......how he had tried and tried to get someone to help him repair his home......to fill in the holes left open from rotting wood.........winter cold winds whistling through. Work is allusive because his whole body hurts now.


Unbelievable, I thought. This man didn't live way out in the woods far away from help. His rundown home was only 10 minutes from my office. And yet, he could've been living as far away as Romania. It made me angry and so sad. His story dug deep under my skin. Not a day goes by that I don't wonder about him. Though he is now receiving a little more money because he is now recognized as having a disability which in the world of social assistance means a little more money, he is still living in a home that should have been condemned.

Yesterday, I spoke to the woman in the trailer park for the first time since we had originally met. She's feeling a bit better and wants to begin looking for part-time work. I could hear it in her voice.........she is on the mend, though will always have to live with the physical pain, her head is clearing. I shared that with her........." I can hear more hope......."

She confirmed this and told me about the connections she has made in her neighbourhood and how for the first time, her life is her own............and she has positive people all around her.


I asked her about Christmas....... "Do you have a Christmas hamper coming? What are your plans for Christmas dinner?" Not only is her hamper arriving TODAY, she has arranged for others in need to receive one. She has also opened her home and offered her bountiful table to share with her new "family." Then, by fate she mentioned the man who lives in squalor and pain.

She had no idea that I had met him. She had no idea how deeply his story affected me. At first, I simply listened to her "take" on his story.........and how sad it made her feel. All stories are confidential. Sometimes they just can't be................ so, when she told me that he was joining her Christmas table for dinner............ I couldn't help myself!!
"I can't tell you how relieved I am to know this! Tell him I have not forgotten him. (he has no phone) Tell him that I am working to find him a new home."

What a lift! What a booster of faith..............this woman who lives on $500.00 A MONTH to pay for all her bills is looking after her own community. Not only that, she found the man and has welcomed him into the fold! AMAZING!

After we said our goodbyes, I shared the story............passionately to the people who can make a difference. By the end of the day, it turned out that the man is now top on the waiting list for new homes. He will be moving in after the New Year.


A wink from the cosmos................... all meant to be.

5 comments:

Deborah said...

What a beautiful story about faith and grace ... thank you for sharing, Dana. Much peace, love and holiday cheer, JP

awareness said...

Thank you Deborah. It was very uplifting. Many stories about generosity have been shared with me this week. I love it.....

Merry Christmas.

Sunny said...

It is the time of year for this kind of joy, peace and understanding. These kind of stories are important to remind others that giving is a gift that has no boundaries. Everyone has something to give whether it be time, money, food, shelter...whatever. Your financial situation is no excuse. It doesn't have to be money...gifts of all kinds are gladly accepted by those who need them.
It would be nice if we had these reminders throughout the whole year. Yes, Christmas is the time to be charitable but really we should be charitable all year round and just feel good about our contribution to those less fortunate around this time of year and give just a little more.
I enjoyed this blog and am overjoyed that this woman who was in need of a gift reached out to give the gift to someone who may have needed it even just a little bit more.

Robert said...

Your post is inspiring awareness and i hope all of us who are blessed by reading it carry on the spirit to give and serve all year every day!!!! Whatever that might be, way beyond just money!1

awareness said...

GReetings Robert.

Thank you for finding little blogworld. I too hope we all can carry the spirit all year round too. It's so wonderful to see the inspiration felt by so many at this time of the year.......it DOES need to continue. No one should have to live in poverty......especially on this continent.........but everywhere.

Please drop by again!!