Sunday, December 03, 2006

where's the loofah?


I feel like I could use a whole week of Sundays. Here it is Sunday night, normally a time when I'm feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the week ahead. Instead, I find myself taking long deep breaths to try to clear a path in my busy brain which is cluttered with to do lists. I know why this has happened. I kept my head down to plough through the process of planning the Christmas Bazaar, of putting in hours of time creating craftie items (happily mind you ) and of worrying if it would be successful and all that entailed and when I lifted my head this morning to have a peak.....................reality hit. Ok........I also clocked in many hours of Liberal Leadership convention TV watching this weekend too as a good upstanding member of political junkie anonymous ........

Balance had taken a direct hit. Other stuff had been neglected. It's catch up time.

Off in the distance I could hear those pesky Carollers singing Hark songs........uh oh...... they aren't in the distance........... they're standing at the foot of my driveway and I'm not ready to greet them.

It's not just the fact that Christmas is only a couple of weeks away, I'm playing catch up in all areas of my life. It feels like I have adopted the mantra................ "I have to get that done." The more I hear myself repeating it, the more I want to take a nose dive under the covers to surrender my responsibilities.

Today would've been better witnessed from the darkness of the shades because it was one of those days that not only flew by before I could harness it, it was one of those days when one little task took up way more time than it was supposed to.

Take the light hanging expedition. This morning after the search for the outdoor Christmas lights went quite easily, I found myself standing in a crowded aisle at Canadian Tire trying to figure out which boxes contained the string of lights I needed to replace ALL of the strings from last year.............ALL of them somehow took a beating sitting in the basement in a box over the summer!! How does that happen????? Now, you'd think that it would be a REALLY easy task, but of course it wasn't because since the last time I had to purchase a string of outdoor lights, some crazy cat went bonkers creating nets, ribbons, drippy, neon iciciles of lights that flash, sing and hum. An hour later, after standing in line at the cash twice because the first time I picked up the wrong boxes (which is when I learned of "ribbons" of lights) I was throwing them into the back of the van and heading home, having spent more than I wanted with the receipt in my hand just in case they didn't light up..........just in case the lights sang in mickey mouse acappella.


Luckily, they worked.......... until I stretched the wires while attaching them to a bush and split the plastic holder of one teeny tiny light. In one rushed moment the lights went out. Swearing ensued. I unpacked the second set of lights. Deep breaths to shove the mantra out of my head and I was able to adorn the bush. 10 minutes later as I had moved onto the garland wrapping on the side porch, I heard my husband who had been up the ladder wiring the heavy wreath to the front of the house, inform me that he had inadvertently stepped on one of the teeny tiny lights busting the second string.
It was now 3pm. Dinner prep was no where to be found, and there were no signs of inside the house chores being completed.,.... and oh............."Mom, guess what? I forgot I have a dress rehearsal for the Christmas play at 4 o'clock."

fa la la la la la la la la........frig
.

There are days when tasks are accomplished lickety split. Then there are days, normally when you want and need lickety split when nothing works out right.
I don't need a week of Sundays. I need a month of them. Not to get things done..............more to cleanse and soak and take a big loofah and scrub away the unnecessary extras that seem to pile up on top of the important things. I need a month of Saturdays to get things done. However, since denial doesn't get things done and since I don't have a staff of personal assistants to delegate to, the under-the-duvet method isn't going to cut it. Tomorrow is Monday and I best be ready with a gameplan.

Before that happens?...........................I'm off to turn on the taps to scalding hot, fill the tub with a million bubbles of wafting aromas and slip into closed eye silence. Deep breaths will slowly clear my head as will a cleansing moment of quiet contemplation. That's how I like my Sundays. Peaceful, contemplative, refreshing and reconnecting soaks almost always brings clarity....almost always removes the pushy mantras and replaces it with soothing sounds of violins.

PS. For some reason I haven't been interested in writing political editorial posts, but it doesn't mean I haven't been paying attention. :) My one comment tonight? Stephen Harper may be initially thinking that he's got it made with the Liberal's choice of Stephane Dion as leader. He better shake that little thought out of his head. Harper's in for a good political fight. Dion is impressive. Sustainability............harkens. I will be listening with interest.




No comments: