Sunday, October 26, 2008

laughing legs, happy feet, hopeful heart.

Anyone who reads my blog regularly knows how much I love the Boyce Farmer's Market in Fredericton. It is my pleasurable destination on Saturday mornings. I usually try to get there before the crowds so I can mooch around, buy produce and something savoury OR sweet to eat, take photos, and most importantly have a chance to talk to friends who work there and others whom I happen to cross marketplace paths with. It's a touch base place...........a "how was your week" kind of comraderie, though I do find that many of the conversations I end up having are much deeper and more interesting than one would expect. I think that's what makes this market unique.

There's no telling what subjects are on the menu........it usually depends on what is happening in the city or beyond it's borders. Politics is a huge staple, as it is THE destination for any glad-handing campaigner. Global issues, recent reads, what's happening at the Universities, the weather of course because that is ALWAYS threaded into a conversation with a Canadian, sports, health.....the economy are all fodder for opinion driven open airing. There are regular buskers, a balloon animal creative clown who last month had a sign asking everyone to VOTE for Tinsel for Prime Minister, a few regular people asking for money. There's a little girl entrepreneur who has her own table (a child's plastic picnic table) where she sells "tickle sticks" and beaded bracelets. Tickle sticks are kebab sticks skewered with gummy candy. The place is full of activity...........full of hardworking farmers selling their harvests, fishermen from the north shore selling their fresh catch, and creative individuals selling their wares.

BTW, The photos accompanying this piece are of the same woman I've been photo stalking for the past year, and she found me out!! :) I have been OUTED as a legging admirer!! Lisa sells wonderfully eclectic bags, satchels, knitted hats and of course leggings like the ones in the first photo. She's now a bloggie reader! Hope you like the pics altogether Lisa. You keep being leggy creative and I'll keep taking pics. Then, we'll do something REALLY cool with them, K?

Yesterday morning, I was up very early once again writing while everyone slept. After I put a dent into the piece I ended up finishing and posting later in the day, I got dressed and headed out the door, only to be blown away by the beauty of the sunrise. It never ceases to take my breath away, especially the sunrises in the fall. For some reason, and I'm sure there's a scientific reason to it, the sunrises are much more vivid and dramatic in the fall. Ribbons of red and orange spread out across a purple sky, interspersed with the dark layers of cloud. It made the newly naked trees silouetted as it reached from the land up into the vast sky. I stood there and marvelled at how lucky I am to be living in this part of the world where abundance is taken for granted, where beauty never sleeps. It is never hard to find.



It seemed more powerful, more emotional to me yesterday morning, and I think that had to do with much of the reading I have been doing this week on the conflict and oppression in the occupied territorities where my friend Paul has been experiencing and exploring as a pilgrim. His posts have been heartflowing and have prompted me to educate myself a bit more on the conflicts in that part of the world.
I couldn't live farther away from strife than I do. The sense of freedom, spiritually, politically, emotionally, expressively paints our skies with hopeful comfort. Our dreams expand beyond the horizons into the infinite possibilities of eternity. This is what I was thinking as I looked out at a new day dawning, realizing just how damn lucky I am.
As I turned on the car to set off, a song came over the airwaves which nearly sideswiped me with it's magical timing. Alison Kraus' version of Down to the River to Pray (from O Brother Where Art Thou) filled my van as I pulled out of the driveway and headed east towards the Monet sky, with the beautiful Saint John River flowing beside me. The hymn never fails to grab hold of something very deep inside me and pulls me into singing along off key but in my mind completely in harmony. The purity of her voice is like listening to a ray from the sun.
The next song on the radio also blew me away because of the symbolism and memories it holds for me. James Taylor's version of You've Got a Friend........ All of a sudden, I'm transported back to a chapel I had orchestrated many years ago at the summer camp I attended and worked at. It was the last chapel of the summer..........AND the last summer of my 12 years at camp. I had taught my group of girls/campers the song in order to have them sing it with me at the chapel. I loved the song and wanted to pass it onto the rest of the camp in order for it to be included in the songbook/repetoire for the future.
So, there I was driving to the Market but completely and utterly remembering the very moment when my girls and I got up to sing it...... what happened as soon as I opened my mouth to lead the song? I was struck with such a forceful blast of emotions, like my 12 years of camp was floating quickly passed me, that I couldn't get past the first two lines.
My throat constricted, my mind went blank and I was overwhelmed by the reality that my years at a place I STILL hold close was coming to an end. I was also acutely aware that I was standing up in front of 100+ sets of eyes who were expecting me to continue to conduct a Sunday chapel! I was a wee bit mortified! But, you know what happened? The group of 8 girls who had been under my wing for a whole month continued singing.
They circled around me and let me step back behind them and they taught the camp the song, with their fearless leader soaking in a puddly mess of teardrops behind them. It was like a passing of the baton. I'll never forget it. Many of those girls, who are now in their 40's are still in touch, and I love that. I heard from 3 of them just last week.

The drive to the market thank GOD is only 2 songs long or I would've visited my whole life in one reflective stint! It was just enough to boost my sense of who I am and what continues to stir my sense of gratitude. Once there, I parked in my secret parking spot, I got out of the van, hot tea in hand, camera slung over my shoulder as well as my big market bag. The sky was lightening up but full of a salmon glow. I found my way along the sidewalk heading towards the stalls, when I realized that the uplifting feeling I have for this corner of the world stems from a sense of belonging.......like being folded into a duvet just out of the dryer on a cold day.



And off I went.........with laughing legs, happy feet and a hopeful heart. The morning shone from within.
ps. thank you Lisa for being a good sport. I really am a sane woman. just a bit eccentric.
HERE is the link to Alison Krauss singing Down To the River to Pray. I dare you not to sing along!










10 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are awesome pics! I often find myself wanting to take photos of foot and leg wear, but rarely have a camera to hand. But you've inspired me to try and put that right and try and get some funky leg wear pics!

swilek said...

I LOVE your pics of Lisa's leggings!

sealaura said...

cool pics.. I wish I could get my hand on some of those leggings! Does she have an etsy shop?

JP/deb said...

who ever thought you would be a leg stalker?!! glad lisa is a good sport and i love her awesome leg art!

peace, JP/deb

Canuckguy said...

Leggings, naaah, not my cup of tea but, you touched on one of my favourite singers and I just got into her (musically that is) a year ago, Alison Krauss.

I had heard about her for years but did not think I would like the style, I did not think bluegrass would appeal to me and so I never gave it a chance. I stumbled into a showing of a taped concert at the Louisville Palace on BRAVO catching the last two songs and was instantly smitten and first chance I got, I purchased the DVD and two CD's as well.

I highly recommend the DVD of the live concert of she and Union Station. The sheer skill of the whole ensemble was breathtaking, it was the most enjoyable taped concert since the Band's Last Waltz, in my opinion.

And speaking of Bluegrass, since (for the first time that I experienced anyway), I saw a couple of Bluegrass acts at the Harvest Blues/Jazz festival and hopefully the Festival committee will expand the bluegrass presence for future festivals. The crowds really appreciated the two groups that I witnessed.

awareness said...

Kamsin...good to see you! By all means, yes....take you camera wherever you go. You just never know. Given the rubber boot/wellies out there these days, there are many opportunities to take some funky pics.

Karyne....I thought you would. :)

Sealaura...welcome. What is an etsy shop? Is that something online? I will talk to her about that.

Deb....yes, who knew? I am a mystery even to myself. lol.

Canuckguy....Did you get to see Grace Potter??? I had hoped to catch her at the festival but waited too long to purchase the tickets. She's more jazzy than bluegrass I think so you may be referring to other bands.

The first time I heard Alison Kraus was when I went to see O Brother Where Art Thou .... no I lie.... I saw her singing with a muppet once and loved the song. :) I will most definately pick up the CD and will look for the DVD. A friend of mine saw her in concert in NYC right after the Brother movie came out and was blown away. I've heard her latest CD with Robert Plant of all people and it was great too.

I had the song I linked to on in my office this morning and within seconds a few colleagues floated down to my office to find out who was singing the song....it is so moving.

Canuckguy said...

Awareness:
I missed out on Grace Potter as well. The bluegrass act was at the Barracks tent - Old Man Luedecke. he played the banjo, and he had two sidekicks taking care of a standup bass and guitar. He really connected with the young crowd that was there. The other group were out on the street, don't know who they were, a foursome.

I really think that the Festival committe would be wise to include more bluesgrass. After all, the word 'blue' is there in 'bluegrass'.

much2ponder said...

I love these pictures and how your words paint a picture so vivid and colorful as if I were there with you. You are a blessing

Sherry said...

I always enjoy the glimpses into your town, through photographs & words, Dana. Sometimes, though, it's your references to a song, that strikes a chord with me. I saw "O Brother, Where Art Thou" twice, but hadn't listened to Allison Krauss in a long time. Her song is beautiful. Thanks for the reminder!!

Also, thoroughly enjoyed your previous post "A Stroll Inside...". I'm always amazed how one person, taking the time with another, can make such a difference for good.

awareness said...

Canuckguy....I agree with you...wished I had seen them. It's more my kind of music than the LOUD blues rock. If the acts you saw were a hit, perhaps the committee will....maybe you could send them an email through their website?

m2p....thank you....it's exactly what I was trying to do! What I love about blogging is that I can experiment with descriptives etc to try to paint a picture. It's such a great venue to give different writing a whirl....to try out new word combinations and styles.

Sherry....I havent seen the movie in a while and was actually thinking about that a couple of weeks ago. I have somehow misplaced my soundtrack CD and hadn't heard the song in a long while.....must rectify that. :)

ps. amazing how powerful one song can be.