Tuesday, June 12, 2007

a string of hearts........

bleeding heart forest



Some wear theirs on their sleeve, while others keep theirs tucked away.


Life in the frontlines continues to tax one with respect to how much you give of yourself. It sounds so selfish when I write it that way, but I believe it's just as important to be aware of where you heart is and how much you allow it to bleed. You have to care for yourself first.

You can easily bleed to death. And then what? You have nothing to give after that. This often occurs with people who are awash with a sense of idealism which leads them to believe it is their responsibility to take on everyone's problems and solve them for them. Often fed by personal political and/or religious philosophies the bleeding heart, blinded from recognizing their own need to be perceived as a caring good person but wracked by their own emotional schemas, aren't helping.

We need to walk with a person, not do the walking for them.

Sure we always need to be open to sharing and breaking bread with another. We always need to recognize the times when we must provide the buffet of sustenance, especially when someone else's cupboards are empty. But, we also must appreciate the importance of helping someone find their own independent path to self-sufficiency. Even as parents, we need to ensure our children learn to be confident in their ability to provide for themselves.

When we do too much, we do more harm. We end up bleeding to death.

Then there's the other side of the coin..........the hardened burn out who negatively smears all individuals with the same paint of rejection. Sometimes these people, who have somehow managed to find themselves in the helping field may not be hardened by burn out. In fact they may have actually experienced many of the same life events and have learned to hide their hearts in the forest with the false belief ....."I've been there and got out of the muck, why can't you?" And you know what the underlying message is to this attitude? "Lazy! Quit being so bloody lazy. Pull up your socks and get a grip......" or something like that. This attitude and approach does just as much harm. Not only that, it is completely disrespectful and rude.
Wounded bleeding hearts are hidden behind obnoxious behaviour.


However, there are times when a bleeding heart does need to be tucked away from sight....when direct confrontation or a more "business like" approach is necessary. But, guess what? This can be accomplished respectfully........ there is never a need to respond to someone you are in the role of helping with disdain. Respect is showing heart.



Consoling listening, heart on the sleeve............versus a closed heart hidden away from human massage. Perhaps they both bleed in different ways.

In order to be effective in the field of counselling, one has to know one's limits and one's triggers. It is so easy to get pulled into a story and lose perspective. Life drama is enticing, an alluring drug for anyone with the propensity to be a "helper." There will always be individuals who pull on the strings, or who irritate you just by revealing their wounds. But this is never their stuff.....our reactions to others culminate from our own stuff. This is what we need to be cognizant of.
--------------------------
Today, I had a conversation with a co-worker who is at her wits end. Trying to help out a well known individual who has a raging reputation from past confrontations with the frontlines but is now older, ill, defeated and in desparate need of intervention and advocacy, my colleague has met one big wall after another in her pursuit to try to help a dire situation. She has experienced a very different client than in the past.....some of this is because the client has been beaten down by a system and has no recourse but to surrender to help, but I also know that my colleague's approach has been from her heart. Consequently, the response from this notorious client has been very different. He sees and feels respect and understanding, he acts and thinks accordingly. He learns that this heart is listening.......REALLY listening, and he learns to trust and to ask for help.
The conversation ended with a discussion on being "nice," and how that is all it really takes.....to be and to show that you're nice and people react positively. Scary really....it hardly takes any effort to be nice to someone and yet we are surrounded by people whom it wouldn't cross their minds to be NICE. Hidden hearts aren't nice.
Such a nebulously Canadian word, isn't it? Nice. Supposedly etched into the Canuck psyche......we're perceived as a nice bunch....kind of vanilla really. It may be vanilla.........but it can pack a wallop. Why? Because "Nice" is the water spring where hearts bleed for others, where empathy is conceived.......where we drink from the cup of humanity.
ps. Deb? the photo is for you................. xo

9 comments:

Disillusioned said...

Love the photo (as well as the words!) - I have a pure white Dicentra in my garden, now blooming...

Bar L. said...

Great post as always. So true, so important and sometimes so difficult to take care of ourselves first.
Your writing is so special. You really have a gift.

Oh, and by the way - I know of one Canuk that is far from vanilla, I'd say she's a combination of chocolate covered strawberry and red hot cinnamon :)

Shaz said...

Dana this was amazing.
I totally agree, I really do wish I could convey my thoughts into words just as you do.
These are my thoughts also and I can totally relate and agree with everything in this post.
I know Deb will also.

Beautiful Dana XXX

JP (mom) said...

Thank you for this lovely picture, dear Dana!!

Your words are SO wise and timely. I was just writing a document to help guide our frontline workers. It is important to develop partnerships with clients that are designed to help them achieve their goals while also recognizing client autonomy and maintaining appropriate boundaries so that one is not depleted by the work.

Much peace & love to you my wise friend. xx, deb

Nikita said...

Much love to you, it's all I have xx

awareness said...

Hi Caroline....Dicentras a beautiful.....they are blooming here too.

Layla...thanks.....chocolate covered strawberries are in my top 5 list of favourites to eat...

thanks Shaz....glad you could relate to my thoughts. I think we have a tendancy, even with our kids to take too much of their stuff on and not let them learn from their own experiences. It's not helping them, and it surely doesn't help us.....

Hi Deb....I captured the photo after I saw one posted on yours and then thought.......hmmmmm Deb works in the same field, she'd completely "get" what I wanted to write....GEEEEEE I had no idea you were writing about it formally. Boundaries....in all parts of our lives are so key, arent they?

Niki..........and I will receive it with open arms. thank you. You're a sweetie. Hope year end stuff has been FUN....

paris parfait said...

Your photo and your words about bleeding hearts are wonderful, obviously drawn from wisdom, experience and an open heart. xo

Harmony said...

Great post Dana. I'm afraid i am one of those people that wears their heart on their sleeve. It has brought me undone on so many occasions but I have no intention of changing. The people I hold near and dear deserve to know how I feel about them without fear or favour so the punishment continues.

I recently wrote a post about how people could be a lot nicer to one another. Check it out if you have a minute. http://karenangelwithoutwings.blogspot.com/2007/06/lets-see-where-this-leads.html

Take care Dana and I love the photo.

awareness said...

Tara....thanks...yes, it has been a lesson learned from personal experience. I'm preparing a workshop for summer students who are keen and ready to "change the world." they are working with a group of very needy children (emotionally needy more than anythign) this summer as well as a group of seniors who have never had any summer programming organized for them and who are lonely, and keen to get involved in activities. My workshop is on "boundaries" and communication. So, part of this post was the beginning of gathering my thoughts for the workshop....the other part came from a conversation I had with a colleague.

Angel......thanks. I too wear my emotions and heart on my sleeve...and must stay cognizant of when I've taken on too much of others.