Wednesday, June 06, 2007

behind the facade.....



Not a pretty sight, but one I see everyday as I head to my van in the back parking lot of where I work. In the background is a well established condominium with a view of the river and the front facade of the building across the street. In the foreground is the back entrance to several rooms where individuals live.


These people, many of whom have serious health and addiction issues, live in one of the worst rooming house conditions in the city. Not only can't they afford much else, because of their extensive life issues and the fact that they are mostly transient and single, they wouldn't qualify for public housing. I have met many of them. Their daily lives consist of survival and struggles.


Rooming houses, most of which are not even on people's radar, are notoriously rundown and horrible places to live. Safety and security are issues, as are cleanliness and orderliness of the shared facilities. How this place continues to be allowed to "function" is beyond me. I wonder how the landlord/business person who owns this slum can sleep at night.


Now, take a look at the photo again..........there is new construction happening. Do you know what it is? Below the hut being built in the right of the picture is a local English style pub called the Snooty Fox. Great selection of beer, the best pad tai in the city. It's a popular spot both at lunchtime and in the evening. The owners of the Snooty Fox have decided to expand to the roof by building a summer patio.


EXCUSE ME??


Right in the middle of the rooming house, the "SNOOTY's" are going to be allowed to swig beer and party?? I'm sure the owners of the pub will close off the patio so there is an intimate feel.....so that there will be no one aware of the fact that they are sitting 5 feet away from a person who may not be able to sleep because of the noise.....from the most marginalized people in the city next to the truly homeless............


I find this absolutely appalling. They should be ashamed.


9 comments:

Bar L. said...

They should be, but apparently their not. :(

Blogger Charles LeBlanc said...

You beat me to it...will blog later...I took some nice pictures.....

awareness said...

layla.......perhaps they will when they get word that mr. Charles Leblanc is on their case, right Charles?

Glad I beat you to it.....since it was MY SCOOP!! hahaha

Canuckguy said...

When I saw the picture, I had a shock of recognition and so as soon as I saw reference to the Snooty Fox, I realized why. I was in that building and actually walked out of that rear door where that railing is during a look around.

Mr Murray said...

Interesting blog - thanks.

JP (mom) said...

Unfreakingbelievable. Obviously they have NO understanding of their community or neighbourhood. Grrrrrr....JP

awareness said...

Canuckguy......it's not the side of the building most see unless they are making the trek through the alley to Tim Hortons. It's pretty bad.

Dr. Satori...great name....glad you find my site interesting. drop by anytime

Deb.....it truly is unfreakingbelievable, and yet when I pointed it out to co-workers, many had not stopped to think about it and yet they see it everyday. The ones that had....well, they were just as pissed. The local news people share the back parking lot with us, and one of their journalists was with me as I discussed my decision to blog it, as was Charles another blogger.....so perhaps it will become a little more visible when others learn of it. Personally, i've had my last beer at that place.....snooty is the right name for the place.

Shaz said...

How in the hell does shit like this keep happening, I am just so amazed at how damn stupid or uncaring our society is sometimes and I am so pissed off that again money talks. I hope its stopped I really do. It is shameful.

Dustin said...

The juxtaposition of such this is all too common in our selfish, "me first" world. It appalls and disgusts me. Just like when cities decide that high cost condos and such would be a great addition to a "poor," run down area of town. They forget to include subsidized or rent controlled condos, and thus force all poor people out.