Thursday, May 03, 2007

the "Ups" are winning.......











The day began at a "Barn Dance."







Two amazing teachers and 50 AMAZING kids worked very hard to pull off a well rehearsed play written by one of the teachers at Garden Creek School today. I attended the first show of the morning surrounded by a bunch of other "Creeker" families.......moms and dads and grampies and grammies........ and the other Creeker kids from the classes.

4 City Folk end up stranded "in the country" without any of their relied upon amenities.....cellphones don't work, no internet, laptops etc. They are blown away by their surroundings. The country folk welcome them with open arms and teach them big life lessons just by being kind and accepting.

Celebratory fun spread throughout the gym.......the kids were so into it. I loved their enthusiasm throughout and then the looks on their faces at the end when they took their bows like pros....... such a sense of accomplishment. I just wanted to hang out there all day. In my next life, I will have my own school and fill it with teachers like these two who see their life work as a true calling. It shows in spades........!!

The Barn Dance Band........ their were riggin' and jiggin' and loving it.




Later in the morning, I hit the road for a meeting in Saint John. One should never get cocky about one's sense of direction. And if one does, one should acknowledge the lesson relearned and stop along the way to take pics. I ended up so twisted around in Saint John that I somehow ended up at the Yacht Club. Since I was so late at this point..........I pulled over to take in the scenery......


Great name for a boat?















This was the end of the road......it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know you've taken a wrong turn when the road simply ends........







Saint John is a made up of 4 sections all around different harbours and bodies of water. I think I managed to land myself in 3 of them!! I saw the infamous Reversing Falls 3 times today (as impressive as Magnetic Hill, I'm afraid) MAN! The stink from the pulp and paper mill nearby just about choked me. I stopped three times to ask for directions and not one person was able to tell me the names of streets in their descriptions........as much as they wanted to help.......

"Go past the Sobeys and then turn right by the green house........then follow the road up past the rifle range......I think it's on the right........then..........ahhhhhh...........you'll see a Superstore where the road jigs to the right........go past the Subway and the road's just after that." THREE versions of these directions..........and I finally made it to the meeting. I almost gave up, but was determined......I had a mission!!!!

I was so late it was funny. Fortunately, I wasn't the only dough brain trying to make it there.....others got lost too. Great meeting..........lots of talk of planning a conference........and getting to know one another on the committee. And, I met two beautiful women with spark and energy who live and work in Fredericton...... I have a feeling our paths will now cross more often. I have a feeling that this conference may be a whole lot of FUN!!!

On the way out of town...................I took this shot while sitting in traffic. Not bad for a windshield shot. One day, I will head down to Saint John to take lots of pics. The place is full of character and stories and charm.................and it's a little rough around the edges just like a port city should be.

Today..........was full of "Ups" and a few frustrations in the middle. Along the way.......the music was always excellent.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Your post made me cry.
I spent tons of time in St John growning up. I have a plethora of family there now. There reason for the tears is Reversing Falls, the horrible pulp smell, the Sobeys...they are all right near my Grandpie's House (he is now deceased, but remains my absolute favorite person)...you did me in with the photo at the end...yep, that's St John. Thank you for taking me on a trip I didn't know I was going on today.

Shaz said...

I love that you make the best out of every situation you get into you are just so amazing I am really lovin on you right now. You make me smile when I didnt think I could. xx

Nikita said...

What shaz said... xxx

awareness said...

Tori! I wish I had stopped and taken a photo of the Falls now! But at that point in my crazy mixed up driving, I was still trying to make it to the meeting on time and didn't dare stop! When we first moved to New Brunswick, I was working in Saint John inspecting Day Cares, so I actually know the city quite well and love it!
I'm glad I was able to take you on a little trip! Next time I'm down there, I'll let you know and take pics of the area where you spent all your time with your Grampie! :)

Shaz.......I'm learning too. I can easily lose my temper.....am learning to see the absurdity of a situation and just try to go with the flow. The people I asked for directions were such nice helpful men (they were all men and hmmmm had no sense of direction themselves....interesting!) Glad to make you smile too. Get well!!!

Niki! Walk proudly sweetie!!

Canadian Sentinel said...

Lovely pics, Awar.

Gee, ya know, the pulp mill at the Falls- think it stinks? Well, you should've gotten a whiff of it, circa '78... then you'd understand what "stink" really means.

Yesterday the oil refinery stank again, with the wind blowing the pee-yeww-y aroma in my direction... at least they could invest in a deodorizer/freshener for their emissions... (Hey! I just had a brainstorm- for folks with uncontrollable flatulence, there could be a filter for the seat of their pants which freshens the tooty-music-accompanied aroma emanating from their hineys... perhaps making them smell like lavender or English Leather or one of those little trees that hang from rearview mirrors... !!!) Heh- sorry, couldn't resist a little funny-wunny about stinkiness... after all, there's a little kid in everyone, and mine is a standup comic...

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

where do you get your energy from?

I get tired just reading about your daily adventures - all insightful and L5 stuff though. no wonder you won Pip's blogger of the year last year!!!

awareness said...

Hey Sentinel Guy.....
Great aromatic visuals... but I dare say you aren't putting a good spin on your beautiful city. What would Elsie say about your smelly description? I want you to come back here and leave a comment to entice fellow bloggers in a little visit!

Oh, and I WILL be in touch the next time I'm in town....beer and a toast is in order. Crazy man!

Paul. funny....my mantra seems to be....."I'm sooooo tired....." In fact, at a recent gathering of friends and family (when I usually relax and kickback a bit....catch my breath), a woman asked me how I was, and I said....."oh, I'm tired..." and she said...."YOu're always tired!" it stunned me....to think that many out there think I'm always dragging my ass.
Then, I gave her the middle finger salute.
No I didn't but I wanted to!!

ps.....Pip's honour made me cry. Pip has a way of doing that to me. Speaking of which......energy to burn, that beautiful man!! :)

Canadian Sentinel said...

Seriously, folks, Saint John does indeed have merits and is worth a visit. The preserved, ancient architecture of Prince William Street, on which I've gone to school and worked, is, in particular, a must-do tour... take a slow walk, feast your eyes on the buildings, take pics. Plus walk thru the Loyalist Burial Grounds, reading the ancient tombstones, and you'll be told by their inscriptions an authentic, firsthand story about how amazingly different life was a couple of centuries ago here.

There's bars, restaurants and a real coffee house/expresso bar with free wireless access on Prince William Street(particularly check out the coffee house- the coffee's to die for!)

And a visit to the Old City Market is mandatory. Absolutely.

Best time to do all this is on Canada Day... which I did last Canada Day with family.

Oh, and there's lots of bars uptown as well, including Irish ones! Yep; rich Irish heritage here. There's Irish folks all over the place.

Those who ain't Irish here wish they wuz! :)

And you got me email addy, Awar. Hmm... you eat toast with your beer? Fascinating. I'll have to try that... a six-pack, a loaf of bread and a toaster and I'm all set, right? Whaddya put on the toast?

awareness said...

Wonderful!! A toast! A toast! Not a piece of toast, you silly. I will toast YOU! And you can ROAST me.

I love downtown SJ.......love Prince William Street.

When I first moved to Freddy, I worked out of a Provincial office on Manawoganish Road.....but travelled the city inspecting day cares....which is why I thought I would have no probs finding Milligeville school. Good Lord that was hidden..!!

I've been to the coffee place too, and LOVE the market! Bought a few Christmas prezzies there last fall. Have you been to the Freddy Market? Love it too, but the SJ market reminds me of the one in Hamilton, which was a frequent treat when I was little........Saturdays with my mom and dad.

SJ.......has such character.....and has such extremes.....I do love the feel of the place.

Wish I had tickets for BB King next week....

take care......have a fabulous weekend Sentinel Guy.

awareness said...

you made Elsie proud :)

Canadian Sentinel said...

Can't say I've been to the Freddy mkt. Been to the military museum in Oromocto, though. Or was it Gagetown? I was a kid then...

The Atlantic Region needs more big, major museums. The NB one inside Market Square just can't hold a candle to the old one in the ancient building, which was a treat every time I went for many years. Never got bored there. The building itself was like the centerpiece of the whole museum, so grand and high-ceilinged, and with the smell of history permeating throughout. One definitely felt as if going back in time...