Sunday, May 13, 2007

mother's day........

beautiful market tulips for mom, may 2007


A purpose for every season.

I love that Mother's Day falls smack dab in the middle of spring. Spring personifies motherhood. It is a time for planting, nurturing and encouraging growth. It is a time to watch nature's rebirth. And all around us we see the infancy greens, the beauty of the daffodils and tulips, our first sturdy promise of things to come. Under our back deck, the robins have returned to build nests for their precious blue eggs. There are four of them this year, and the feisty momma robins along with their protective orange breasted partners are protecting their territory voraciously from the pesky blue jays.


Being a MOM

Planting,
feeding,
listening
touching,
consoling,
watching,
protecting,
providing,
making things better with our love
loving, loving, loving

It is the recipe for a good start. It is the recipe for helping our loved ones build a foundation. It is the essence of spring.



And as I write this, I think of my two children who are not far away from me, and of their Dad, my partner in life, who is away from us visiting his own mother and father this week while staying with my own Mom and Dad. They all live in the same area.

This morning, he will see his own Mom to share Mother's Day with her, knowing it may be her last. He will take her a big bunch of tulips to fill her home with spring, make her tea and tell her stories of her grandchildren. Nothing, however takes precedence over having her son with her today. He is her Mother's Day present. The tulips are simply eye candy. Her son is the real thing.

And me? My thoughts float west...................to my Mom who will be out in her garden most likely thinking about her Mom............. her own 3 daughters who are also Moms.........

And thoughts to my Mother in Law, Mim who gets to share her day smiling, and forgetting about the realities of illness.

A purposeful season........the circle of life.

ps....if you happen to be looking for me? Well, I will out in the garden doing my thing and counting my blessings. They are bigger than the biggest bouquet of tulips and just as stunning.







5 comments:

Bar L. said...

Thanks for sharing your life and your words with us, these pics are wonderful!

Happy Mother's Day, Dana,

JP (mom) said...

I love the metaphor of motherhood and Spring! I hope you have a day full of love, joy and blessings. And may all the women in your life feel your lovely presence as they celebrate in spirit with you. xx, JP

awareness said...

Hey Layla....Happy Mother's Day to you! I LOVED these photos.....I took a whole bunch of them at the market yesterday, trying to stay out the way of vendors and buyers....but not succeeding. I think I drove them a bit crazy. ah well..... :)

Deb....thanks.....the metaphor just came to me this morning when I sat down to write. I like it too. Happy Mothers Day to you too.

Shaz said...

Happy Mummas Day what a great post I loved it. Every mum is blessed x

Rainbow dreams said...

Being a Mum, the most wonderful and yet toughest thing in the world...
Hope you had a lovely bright sunny Mothers day... beautiful photos, wonderful colours