Thursday, May 17, 2007

common ground


when the student is ready, the teacher will appear


Our whole lives consist of a learning curve. From our first breath until our last, we are learning.....by seeing, listening, touching, feeling, and doing.
how to walk and talk and tie our shoes
how to add, subtract, multiply and divide
how to recite the alphabet, print, write, type and tell a story
how to use all the gadgets in our lives
how to cook, clean, iron, wash clothes
how to organize, theorize, intellectualize
how to figure things out
how to take apart, put together, and take apart again.

An accumulation of knowledge.........some useless, some helpful, some meaningful.

Along the way we find our interests, our passions.....
the topics we find most intriguing

Why? What's the point? We can't take any of this with us when we die?

Why do we have such a thirst for learning?

Survival?
To know how to react and act to danger?
To know how to critically analyze and interpret situations?
To be able to interact with others?
To take us closer to understanding our relationships?

I think we learn in order to be able to connect with others
The roles we play allow us to use our knowledge to find common ground
Common ground offers us a foundation to build on our relationships.

Sometimes there are situations we are faced with that test us.....we ask, why do I have to experience this? What am I learning from this heartbreaking moment? Why me? Why me? What's the point of being confronted with pain and anguish?

Sometimes there is no answer.......

I have been thinking a lot today about our learning process and our innate desire to soak up as much of life's lessons as we can. I've also been thinking about how sometimes we are surprised by who the teacher is.

My husband is away spending time with his parents who are both seriously ill and have been for a very long time. Their steady decline in health has been a stressful, complicated, frustrating and mind numbing process for everyone.....on so many levels. My father in law suffers from Alzheimers and Parkinsons has been in the hospital in another province for over a month now. Once a man who radiated a presence when he walked into a room is now confined to his bed because of deep bruising from a fall and he's not able to bear any weight on his one side. He's confused and losing his words. He is losing his learning..........all of it as he lies in his bed in the palliative care ward. Stripped of being able to do the basic tasks for himself, and frustrated by this he has become dependent on others for his personal care.

Our ability to learn and to continue to build on it shores up our confidence and our sense of accomplishment. Learning feeds our innate curiosity, which in turn feeds our awareness, which in turn feeds our hope, which in turn feeds our faith. Learning leads us through a life of learning our faith through the connections we make with others and with God.

Big helpings of hope and faith gives us the sustenance to face our last lesson, understanding and accepting death because it is hope and faith which affirms our lives. Because we have the chance to experience life affirmation, we then can love.

Henri Nouwen writes; "Hope and faith will both come to an end when we die. But love will remain. Love is eternal. Love comes from God and returns to God. When we die, we will lose everything that life gave us except love. The love with which we lived our lives is thelife of God within us. It is the divine, indestructible core of our being. This love not only will remain but will also bear fruit from generation to generation."

I have spoken to my husband daily as we catch up........me on the homefront, and he cocooned in a place where illness and dying are clearly visible. And, it's hard. It's hard for a son to see his Dad lose all his learning. The other night, they watched part of the hockey game together in the hospital room. Watching hockey and enjoying it together is something which connects these two. They both learned to love the game as they have watched many together, or at least discussed specific sports game in telephone conversations over the years. Common ground.

My husband told me that his Dad wasn't really able to watch the game. He was tired and unfocused. What struck me about this time together, is that my husband sat with his Dad and held his hand. Every now and then he would squeeze his Dad's hand, as they spent time together watching the hockey game.

when the student is ready, the teacher appears.........

Despite the health of my father-in-law. Despite the inability to look after himself anymore, he is still the teacher, providing big life lessons about love to his son. It's what matters the most. Love is what remains. All of our learning leads us to this moment. It is hope and faith and our innate desire to learn the things to find the common grounds that allows us to get there, but it is the unconditional sustainable love which is eternal. It is never forgotten.

All of our learning all of our lives designs the path to understanding unconditional love. I believe this learning is our greatest pursuit to finding the calm and overcoming the fear of our own mortality.

Undying love..........it's all that matters...........it never goes away


13 comments:

Rainbow dreams said...

Thoughts and love winging themselves your way, x

Heather said...

I really like this post, and especially the way in which you discuss unconditional, sustainable love as becoming a sort of eternal memory, continuing even after the loved one has died.

I am sorry you are going through this difficult time.

awareness said...

thanks Katie......enjoy your weekend

Welcome Heather. Thanks for the comments. it was interesting how this post came together. It started with the idea that as adults our best learning happens through our connections and relationships etc. Then, I read Nouwen's ideas which led me to thinking about what lessons we learn from someone who is ill and aging.....
The ideas were generated from that beginning point.....I like the idea too and need to think about it a bit more. For now, I have posted my raw thoughts.....and will revisit learning, hope, faith and love again.........

kenju said...

I now that this must be a terribly trying time for your husband, but I know from experience that this time will be a great learning process for him and he will be taking those lessons with him the rest of his life (and sharing with you). We should all be grateful when we can go through that process.

awareness said...

HI Judy. Thank you. I wholeheartedly agree with you. I realized it more as I wrote out my thinking last night. I don't think it is a test of faith. Rather, it is a strengthening of faith because of the lessons passed to us. Knowing that doesn't take away the deep feelings, but it makes it all seem more normal, more a part of the circle of life.

Left in Hell said...

This really resonates with me I love how you have expressed this as always though you blow me away.I feel for your hubby it must be so hard. They are in my prayers.

Have a good weekend sweet. xx

JP (mom) said...

Dear Dana ... this is one of the most profound pieces you've written and it speaks to such core truths. You're right - love never goes away - it is what the soul craves. Much peace and love to you, your husband, and your family ... xx, JP

awareness said...

Hey there Hell! Thanks for leaving your kind thoughts... and welcome to the blogworld. :)

Deb. thank you. it felt right when I was trying to capture the thoughts into words. When I reread it, I can see where I would do an edit etc, but will let it stew for a while before I touch it up. For now, the idea and my feelings are captured.
Writing the piece brought some clarity, which I wasn't expecting.

tired adult said...

I only read the first bit of your post and then saw something that made me want to respond. I'll go back and read the rest to get the main point of your post, but for now...

You wrote:
Why do we have such a thirst for learning?

If by "we" you mean "people in general", then I reject the assumption on which the question is based. Many people, you and me included, have this desire to learn. My students at the university do not, for the most part, show this thirst. A few do, but most want the credential conferred by the degree in order to smooth their way in the work world, or meet some parental expectation. They feel that they are entitled to it if they pay the fees and do a minimum of work. They are manifestly NOT an intellectually curious lot.

If you want to talk numbers, I'd put the truly intellectually curious at about 5% or less, those willing to work and learn for their degree at another 25%, and those who want to just get by at another 20% (they are the "C is okay for me" crowd). The remaining half have no business even being in the academy. They are uninterested, disengaged, and ill equipped to pursue higher learning.

To quote a colleague: "There are two things required to pursue a degree at university; proper academic preparation and a desire to learn. More than half of our students have neither."

Our public education system in New Brunswick is failing our children. I have children in the system and I teach the products of the system, and I think it's severely broken.

I know people who work in the measure and evaluation section of the dept of Education and could tell you some horror stories about how political ambitions interfere with the quality of schooling, but I need to go help my youngest get some lunch.

awareness said...

Hey Web.....would LOVE to chat with you on this......I had a very interesting conversation the other day about the assessment process in our elementary school system.....

did you know that if a kid is exempt from the testing (because they are disabled for example) they automatically receive a 0, which is then averaged into the final average?

did you know that every year our provincial assessments are changed, so there is really no way of monitoring any progress.

did you know that our literacy outcomes for both french and english streams are a higher level than Alberta? The fact that they would be different is beyond my comprehension....they should be the same across the board.....but how can we compare NB with Alta?

I was told of teachers who give their students the answers......

The tests are designed in the multiple choice method of testing, which is NOT used in elementary....and the "officials" have recommended that the teachers teach to the test...AND change their way of assessing.....

interesting......

and there's more.

I don't think it's just the system either....where are the parents in all of this?

Why do children and uni students have a sense of entitlement? Where did that grow? I would guess NOT only in the classroom...

Politics plays too much of a role in our educational system...it seems like a hotbed for "legacy" dreamers or something. Don't like it at all

Having spouted out some of what I"m thinking.......I wasn't actually writing about formal learning. In fact, I was looking at learning outside of a classroom....I actually started by thinking about where adults do their best learning...if that makes sense. My point is that we learn most from our interactions....at least our Life lessons......

The students at uni? Entitled, lazy.....yes.......perhaps.....but maybe they are learning other really big important lessons too which take their focus in another direction. Booze, sex, partying....arent they important stepping stones to personal awareness and understanding life? :)

Cheers.

awareness said...

Gee.....turns out I have more to write!! Am supposed to be doing a spring clean here....but my mind is churning....

I am trying to remember where I read some stats and info on "type" of students who are now flowing through the university system....maybe it was MacLeans..... some of the points made and arguments used are as old as universities.....that there is a disconnect between areas of study and practical work applications etc. More and more are graduating with degrees than ever before, which seems to have rendered the post secondary undergraduate degree as unmarketable these days.

We have been brought up to believe that University is THE path to education. We've set up our places of higher learning to accommodate this thinking and have not proactively looked at other options for students to consider. We all don't learn the same way, and we all don't learn at the same point in our lives. It believe it's time to a whole shake up. Partnerships with Universities and Community Colleges have to evolve more fully, as does technologically driven learning..... Apprenticeships in other areas of study besides trades..... etc, etc. The only way this would fly is if the UNiversity system itself and the administrators there take the lead because the message that different learning avenues is a good thing...that University is just one option may then permeate the psyche.

I also go back to the thought that I began this post with....

when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

Your colleague is right...there has to be a desire to learn, and I truly pity the people in this world who float through life without one moment of recognized self-enlightenment, and there are many.....but I believe if we started shifting our thinking and providing learning opportunities that engage, connect, a meet the student halfway.......that challenge and encourage......from Kindergarten on up...... we would see more confident in their learning.

I also believe we are seeing the results of an extended adolescence, where students do not take responsibility for themselves.....perhaps we should look at a year of mandatory community service.... here or abroad!! Promote humanity and belonging to the global community.

OOhhh......I better get back to the cleaning!!

This needs to be chewed out over a pitcher of beer at the Rogue.

Robert said...

oh dana as always you stimulate such deep thought warmth of soul and spirit so sorry to hear about your in-laws looks l ike you and your husband are handling things as best you can so glad you are writing so freely and fluidly you have such a resonant voice in your words my fellow misfit carry on

Shaz said...

Dana, The left in hell comment was me. I set my sister up and then started browsing. But she is stoked you went to visit.