Wednesday, May 09, 2007

persistantly, palpitating, pulsing panic

driftwood confusion

This is the intro to a workshop I'm delivering tomorrow......

_________________________________________________________________


"Some of your grief you have cured, and lived to survive; but what torments of pains have you endured that haven't as yet arrived?"

Ralph Waldo Emerson



When does worry turn the corner? When does worry take hold of your guts wrenching it to a point where it sends out prickly electricity from its source? When does worry shackle you to the sofa or to the bed or to a corner in your room, away from all others? When does worry lead you to seek mind numbing sustenance in order to find that elusive sleep, or to deaden those sparks of electricity? When does worry take you closer to the precipice, where your footing is affected by the moving stones once part of a solid foundation? When does it transform from heightened excitement to head pounding fear or from numbness to heightened ecstasy? When does worry slide into a place called anxiety?


You’ve arrived at anxiety when you you’re overcome with unrelenting fear. Darkness prevails. In fact, Anxiety feels like a ghost town littered with rusted faith ……a place where you arrive to find no solace, and no one to make it go away. It is a lonely town where heartbeats fluster and palpitations interfere with even breathing. Dread, fatigue, cluttered thoughts overwhelm the air in the place called Anxiety. If you listen closely, the most predominant sound is a breath cutting wincing wail of confusion.

Your first thought is to run away…..FAST…….to get away to the next town… to find the light glimmers of faith. Away……away…….from the pain and sorrow…..towards calm and safety….towards ANYTHING to find control again.

Anxiety can feel like you’re dying.
What is more fear producing than facing down our own mortality?
So, we seek out life affirmation,
whatever the costs,
no matter how cognitively unrealistic the actions may be because anxiety shuffles our thinking.


Most try to avoid it at all costs, though some, possibly numbed by trauma to a point where they aren’t feeling anything addictively search for it by taking huge risks, pushing the envelope, cutting, lashing, reaching for mind alterations, seeking release, pulsing release.

Anxiety is a paradox….a drug to avoid OR a drug to seek out as we fight the loss of faith.

It is a contagious leech with the propensity to affect others who are within reach. Like a vapour in the air, it is invisibly powerfully debilitating……..physically and emotionally, spiritually. Don’t think it can’t touch you because if you’re not paying attention while the mounds of stress begin to build it’s fortress all around you, Anxiety will thump you on the shoulder, gobble up your breath, surge your blood pressure with its obsessive compulsive claustrophobic, agoraphobic, intensiphobic exuberance.


So what to do? Anxiety serves a purpose if you’re in tune with it….if you’re able to capture its essence…..if you’re able to wrestle it long enough to reclaim calm. Gotta do the wrestling. No way around it as far as I can see. Fear can be captured and sent running away with it's tail between it's legs.

Ring any bells for anyone?? I think we've all felt it at some point in our lives. Perhaps some of us are facing it down today.



10 comments:

Rainbow dreams said...

probably not what I should be reading just before bed .... BUT.... it instantly takes me back to a place I wouldn't ever want to be again...
powerful words and images and feelings evoked there Dana, and a great picture of driftwood too.... we're creating lots with driftwood just now.
Hope the workshop goes well, x

awareness said...

katie....you're probably right. hope the dream demons don't find you. i read it aloud to a colleague today to see if it had a cadence to it since I will be sharing it....and it had the effect i wanted. we ended up sharing quite a bit.
glad you like the photo....martha suggested i use it....she thought it was spooky....the top piece of driftwood reminded her of an arm and hand lurching out of the pile!! Now that's scary!

wishing you pleasant driftwoody dreams

awareness said...

driftwoody? egads....my mind is in the gutter....

change that to "pleasant drifting dreams"....sounds much more poetic.

:)

Lynn said...

I am not really that proud of it but I am the Queen of Anxiety. I hate it. I do believe that I have learned to control it though because I know if I don't it will control me! And worry....oh my what a family trait! So, I am totally voting on reclaiming calm and moving to Happy! And if PMS does come to visit it has to stay at the PMS B & B.

Robert said...

wow!!!! i have to echo much of lynn's sentiments. I have had the episodes where anxiety feels like a monster wrapping its tentacles around me much like what happened to capt jack sparrow in the end of pirates2. Your imagery and words are poignant and precise dana i think you will strie a deep chord in all. God bless your talk

awareness said...

hey Lynn.....my anxiety quotient definately rose after having children that's for sure. As for your Happy Texas? I would love to visit the town, but I will completely avoid the B&B. Can you imagine how riled up a place like that would be? It makes me laugh just thinking of the conversation and accusations flying about the rooms....... :)

I do believe though, that laughter and awareness.....and some time out to do some breathing do help with anxiety....especially the laughter and being able to see the absurdity of life.

robert......interesting visual you write....i was thinking as well about the suffocating feeling (tentacles came to mind).
thanks for the feedback. I'm interested to see how they react to it because this group is just new at even discussing this stuff......I wanted to make anxiety more visible rather than rhyme off statistics and such.

will keep you posted... :)

Lady Prism said...

The photo speaks volumes of panic!!!...And some of what you wrote is me..specially the part where you want to run...but not anymore I guess...

My biggest worry concerns my two sons..specially when they are off to school or when not withing my sight....I am trying to curve this..giving trust that they are looked out for by someone far greater than I.

Thank you for the kind words you left in my bloggy'...It was nice to read you once again...:>

have a great day!

Disillusioned said...

A very accurate description of how anxiety feels, from one who is climbing out from it.
Combine it with depression (as it so often, sadly, is_ and you have an even more frightening mix - the constant sense of dread combined with a certainty that things will never improve.

An evocative and affecting piece of writing - thanks for posting.

awareness said...

hey luxie.....I loved your post!! I thought the pic spoke panic too. And yet, it didn't feel that way walking amongst the driftwood while I took a bunch of shots. must be the jagged pieces and the colour or something.
Your example is a good one...FEEL the same way. I remember the first time I felt that way with my daughter. She was just a wee infant and I had to go back to work. We had a caregiver who came to our house and I was in complete trust of her..... what freaked me was that she would do all these things with my daughter...like visit her mom, or her sister who was home with two little ones. Wonderful stuff.......but I realize very quickly that my daughter, even as an infant was experiencing things I wasn't a part of...AND was with people who despite being connected with my trustworthy babysitter, I didn't know them. It made me feel very anxious.
Letting go is very difficult. Kindergarten age and on the bus going to an afterschool program? Just about did me in.....but I got over it.... but there's always something to replace it isn't there?

Depression combined with anxiety is a double whammy.....I talked at length today with the group I was working with about this....and I could see with some it was an experience some may have felt.

The group I was working with reacted strongly to my piece.....and the conversation flowed openly afterwards. It made for a very interesting (and hopefully enlightening) workshop.

And oh, btw.......the crazy boss person who pulled that wicked stunt on me the LAST time I delivered a workshop two weeks ago(who has been PROMOTED??!!) she didn't attend, but managed to interupt the flow by barging in at the end to attempt to pull a couple of staff out of the workshop for some emergency. Knowing it wasn't an emergency, I told her that I would be finished in 10 minutes and then she could request their attention. What a boob she is. A wounded obnoxious BOOB!

awareness said...

Caroline!! I forgot to put you name in my comment...Sorry about that.
Here I am writing about people being boobs and I didn't address you properly.

I think I need to go to bed. :)

cheers.