Monday, May 28, 2007

simple pleasures


Shared simple pleasures......these are the stories fondly recalled. It's never the business merger or the long work hours and days away from family and friends. It's the late night starry sky sitting by a lake after a day of fishing. It's the car rides with the whole family stuffed into the car on the way to a vacation destination. It's the bottle of wine and two paper cups to drink from.
It's the hilarity of a late night party, or an ongoing joke shared everytime you meet. It's the stories around the family animals, or the kid's crazy friends who used to drop in on Christmas Eve and never leave. It's the way you celebrated birthdays, or the surprises brought forward by a beautiful winter day. Front porch chats, shoreline strolls, impromptu backyard lingering with the neighbours.
Shared simple pleasures are nestled in the milestones of our lives.............
do you remember.........?
what about the time...........?
one of my favourite memories........?
such fun, wasn't it...........?
I'll never forget..........?
These are the stories fondly recalled. Shared simple pleasures.......are not simple at all because their meaning tap into the richness of our friendships and our connections with one another. It is the gold thread glimmering in our life tapestries. Rather than consider the gold as an decorative accoutrement within the tapestries, we should recognize it as the real story of the legacy we leave behind.
Funny, none of this is ever found on a resume..........

4 comments:

X said...

I'm starting to realise these simple pleasures are getting to be more and more important in my life....

Matthew said...

You gave me enough mental pictures to float for hours! You are so right that these so-called simple things are at the heart of our lives. Thanks for the reminder!

Wouldn't it be nice if our job interview consisted of telling of the times when we felt most alive and the resume a poem of heart affirmations?

awareness said...

hey k! Good to see you....well, sort of. I think the feeling continues to increase as we get older.

Matthew.....no problem! I actually did try to answer some questions that way last fall when I had a job interview. In fact, I told them that I loved to organize parties at my house! I decided to go that route when I knew I wasnt interested in the job and the amount of overtime they just simply expected...... I made them laugh, but I knew I was throwing away the job opportunity.

I think the next time I have to interview someone I will ask WAY different questions.

paris parfait said...

Yes, simple pleasures are the BEST! And that is one gorgeous photo.