Thursday, March 01, 2007

Perplexed about Religion.




"Discipline is the other side of discipleship. Discipleship without discipline is like waiting to run in the marathon without ever practicing. Discipline without discipleship is like always practising for the marathon but never participating.

Discipline in the spiritual life is the concentrated effort to create the space and time where God can become our master and where we can respond freely to God's guidances.

Thus, discipline is the creation of boundaries that keep time and space open for God. Solitude requires discipline, worship requires discipline, caring for others requires discipline. They all ask us to set apart a time and a place where God's gracious presence can be acknowledged and responded to." Henri Nouwen.

I read this and was left with one big question..............can someone on the road to believing be a Disciple, or does one have to be an honest to goodness, true blue Believer first?

(This post is longer than blogposts should be. Sorry about that. I tried to edit, but felt compelled to continue writing, mostly for my own benefit. I started this a week ago and hemmed and hawed about posting it, but obviously decided to, because i see this piece as a large part of my own story...... Each paragraph, has brought forth 10 other avenues I feel I could travel down and write about. Maybe one day I will. Perhaps this is the draft of an introduction........a means of possibly pulling together previous posts I have written on religion and spirituality. It feels that way right now. Or maybe it's just the reasoning behind my desire to seek awareness and I just have to get it out of my system. Either way, writing this has forced me out of my comfort zone. Pip often writes about the fact that learning happens when you step out of ones comfort zone. Revisiting and connecting some of the dots definately throws me into a learning curve outside my comfort zone. If you have time to read it, I would honestly like some feedback.)

_____________________________________


I'm not a regular church goer. Let me rephrase that. I am not a church goer. I havent been for many years, except for the token few times which to be quite honest left me feeling completely disconnected and unimpressed. In the course of the last 15+ years, only one service has left me feeling a powerful surge of spiritual emotions. Ironically, the sermon was on the topic of illusions versus reality. It hit home. It was the first time in a long time when I felt comfortable taking in communion. Prior to and since then, I have taken part in communion a couple of times, not always, and felt like a fraud.

I was baptized as a child. In high school, I attended weekly confirmation classess at the local United Church. They were led by a wonderful man, a dynamic Minister who was able to weave Bible stories and lessons with present day events and intersperse them with snippets from great literature. At one point during the classes, he arranged to take us all out of school for a day trip into Toronto to meet with the people who live and work at the Missions, and with people who lived and worked with people our own age who were troubled and in trouble. We also met with the head of the United Church of Canada. To this day, that "field trip" experience remains vividly important in my learning.

I was confirmed that spring, at age 14 by the same wonderful Minister and for a while, I attended church services and youth programs regularly. At university, living away from home, I often attended Anglican services with a boyfriend and his family. His father was very involved in his church, and often the Minister and his wife would have Sunday dinner with us. I was open and accepting of religion. I felt like a member. I felt like I belonged.

Interspersed with my attending church services then, I was also very involved in organizing and delivering informal chapel services in the summers at the children's camp where I worked. It was a contemplative, morally ruminating time........adolescence........the chapel services reinforced a deep sense of spirituality in me. I was comfortable in this role and didn't have to question my belief in God.

During my travels through Europe just after I graduated from University, I added to my learning by visiting various churches and cathedrals, mosques and chapels. For the most part, I was in awe. St. Peter's, Chartres, St. Pauls, St. Giles, Yorkminster, the Duomo in Florence all captured and enraptured me. I was overwhelmed by Lourdes, where I felt like I was a stranger trespassing on the sacred ground of deeply true believers. I visited Aya Sophia and the Blue Mosque in Istanbul. Stunningly beautiful. Ornate and majestic. So completely different than anything I had ever seen before. When I visited the Vatican, my travelling companion and I attended the weekly service where the Pope blesses various groups and individuals in attendance.

It was fascinating, but it was also perplexing. It seemed quite foreign to me, the deep beliefs and the expansive history seemed a bit mind blowing......but I took it all in and thought often about the intensity of the congregations' undeniable beliefs........and wondered if I could ever get to a point in my life when I could have such unbending religious beliefs. The cathedrals and mosques and shrines were all so beautifully reverent. It's just that they never felt like places where I would feel the pull to worship regularly. Perhaps because I was simply a visitor. Perhaps I've always felt like just a visitor in a church.

Would my faith ever be so strong?

Will my faith ever be so strong?

Do I really want unbending religious beliefs? I don't think so. I want the freedom to investigate, ruminate and debate. To borrow
a thought from Paul, I think I like my religion messy.

For a couple of years when I was in my mid twenties, I worked with children who were multiply handicapped and who were staying, sometimes for long periods of time in a rehabilitation centre. I LOVED this job. I LOVED working with these kids, trying various sensory stimulation activities and helping them to explore their potential. During this time, I also ran a "bedtime" program for preschoolers who for one reason or another were staying at the centre. This opportunity brought me in touch with their families as well who would often be at the Centre in the evenings.

As much as I thoroughly enjoyed the interactions and the opportunity to provide recreation and stimulation for these children and their families, I was struck often with pangs of doubt wondering about a God who would allow these kids to be born with such debilitating disabilities. The very idea that people are forced into a life of pain and sorrow because they deserved it somehow or because they are being "tested" just wasn't accepted to me. These swirling throughts started my tailspin..................the daily interactions drummed up doubt.

As I write this seemingly never ending post, I am struck by amazement.....I can't describe to you all of their beautiful faces that have resurfaced from my memories .........so many kids. So many little ones I spent one on one time with............

The 2 year old little one born with only a brain stem whom I rocked every night for a week, hoping she would inherently feel my touch, wondering how she was able to hold onto life, wondering how her family felt day in and day out trying to care for her. Quite honestly, she was angelically beautiful looking.

The 13 year old boy too sick and weak from his chemo treatments to fight off a brain tumour, but would talk to me every night while waiting for his mom and dad to arrive for a visit. He eventually went home and recovered to a point where he arrived one day walking unaided. It blew me away how tall and strong he looked after months of seeing him in bed or slumped over in his wheelchair. A week after his last visit, when he walked in to say hello, he passed away. I attended his funeral and realized that there were only a few of us attending amongst the throngs of people who only knew him only when he was so ill. My memories of him were so different than all of his school buddies and family.

The 10 year old little girl amed Phillipa whose body was contorted by cerebral palsy that it would take 30 minutes of me holding her and talking soothingly before she could relax enough to smile and to let her limbs stretch out.

Michelle, a 14 year old girl who spent a summer at the Centre recuperating after jumping 11 stories from her apartment balcony after months of humilitating testimony against her sexually abusive father, only to see that the justice system gave him a slap on the wrist and let him go free. Not only did she survive the fall, after 4 months in rehab, she walked out the door on her own, her deepest scars scraped her soul permanently. Michelle and I were together every of her rehab. We did amazing things together......we even camped out in tent, and did a lot of sight seeing throughout Toronto. Whatever I did, she did.

A roomful of girls, all of whom suffered excruciating pain every moment of their lives from juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Their disease was so extensive that they basically had to live at the Rehab Centre while receiving ongoing treatment and intervention. And even though they were always in pain, they never missed a craft activity or a trip to the movies.

Many, many, many stories……………many…………leaving me in a wake of bewilderment.

My beliefs began to really start unravelling when I moved east to the Maritimes, which ironically is more religious than the part of Canada I grew up in. Maybe that's what part of the problem was. All of a sudden, I was confronted with a black and white montage, where questioning seemed blasphemous. At the time, I was facilitating groups of individuals who were on welfare. For 4 weeks at a time, it would be me and 12 or 15 participants covering several topics that fall under the banner of "life skills." Topics ranged from self-esteem (what is it??) to assumptions to values to personal problem solving to goal setting to anger management to networking in the community. It ran the gamut. The conversations were vivid, lively, compelling and heart wrenching. AND, they were beneficial. It didn't matter where anyone was on the continuum called life, there was jumping on points for all. Everyone was welcome, and it was my primary role to provide a safe place to be................. to be........... well, that and to try to keep us on track!

My groups were the first step to help connect people back into the community and back into the possibility of entering the world of work. I ran 24 groups back to back, with a week of "clearing my head" in between groups. When I think about it now, I can't believe how many individuals I met.........with no formal teaching background, I started from scratch, and ran it like a counselling marathon, with a lot of interaction.

Baptism by fire................. for the participants AND for the facilitator. The lessons learned are too numerous to list here.........one day the book will be written ........

Each group had their own flavour, their own chemistry. Ages ranged from 19-64. Backgrounds were different, but often the wounds were the same. Poor, abused, emotionally and/or physically abused, neglected, systemically driven dependent, unanchored, marginalized, disconnected to the larger community and unable to cope.

Unable to cope and feeling all alone. Unable to cope and feeling overwhelmed.

I loved working with these groups. It was truly satisfying to help them move a couple of inches farther along life's precipice. It was AMAZING to see some of them realize that they weren't alone.......that their struggles were being experienced by a whole community of others......that they had a say in the path they chose to head down.........that they had a voice attached to opinions and beliefs and values which for the most part no one had ever asked them to elaborate on. No matter what wound was shared with the group, more often than not, someone else in the group had a similar story. Once the scars were revealed, relationships formed between individuals. Often, I was privileged to see another human being shed layers of hurt in order to move forward.

The experiences left me with a wide array of learning, gifts and stories of survival. However, it also left me with the desire to push away from any organized religion. It seemed so hurtful and so judgemental.

Too many stories of abuse. Too many emotionally scared individuals who refused to make any choices for themselves because it wasn't their responsibility.....it was God's. Too many people who on Sunday were church goers and for the rest of the week slammed everyone around them. Too many hypocrites.

One time when I had read a piece by Psychologist Virginia Satir on self-esteem. It was an ode to recogizing ourselves as unique individuals with much to offer the world. I liked the piece and fully agreed with it's message. I had also found that previous groups loved it as well because it generated positive discussions on our roles in life and on the masks we tend to wear etc. However, several members of this particular group completely shunned it. Self-esteem was not the responsibility of the individual. It was up to God.

The next day, to make their point, they brought their pastor with them to join the group. For the whole day, I was lambasted at every turn. Bible quotes were tossed at me. Accusations were lobbed at me. Even when I tried to suggest that we agree to disagree, there was no holding them back. Methinks they were making a concerted attempt to "save me." Instead, their attempts turned me right off.


Time and again, I was confronted by evangelical Believers who seemed totally stuck and pulled into their church that to me seemed as dysfunction as they were. Women in particular who for the most part had lived in a rural area separated from community, unempowered by their subservient "role" in their church. Individuals who had experienced a "conversion" the weekend before they decided to sign up for my course, and who hadn't really gone below the surface of their "beliefs" and the previous life they had led. So many wounded people who were for the most part flailing and often times were walking into a milieu where they were being taken advantage of. Churches and their leaders who were telling women who were abused, to stand by your husband no matter what the consequences are. Stories of being abused by other church members.

It was a stream of guilt inducing bizarre rules all dug up through some twisted interpretation of the Bible. I wanted no part of it.

At the same time, the church that I had been a part of in my teens and young adulthood seemed turn itself upside down by throwing out the parables and stories, and began a dissent into the realm of political correctness. Conversations about sexism in the scriptures prevailed. Debates over whether or not it was politically correct to talk of the Holy Trinity ensued. Politically driven issues became the norm instead of religiously driven ones. I was not the only one to walk away from the United Church of Canada. We left in droves.


A couple of years ago, a friend at work started dropping off articles on my desk written by his friend Peter Short, who was the Moderator of the United Church at the time. I had met this man a couple of times, once when I was decorating the church for a friend's wedding with flowers, but at the time I hadn't attended one of his services. My first impression of him was that he reminded me of Reverend Johnson who presided over my confirmation and wedding. The articles left for me to read reinforced my impressions. I was intrigued again. His words pulled me back into wanting to learn more about worship, about the lessons gleaned from the Bible, about how applicable organized religion could be in my daily living.

A little light through the armour? Definately a start. Prior to that, I wasn't receptive whatsoever to even discuss religion. My attitude was completely dismissive. I shot it down whenever I could..........criticizing too quickly. It didn't matter what demonination it was, I had no time for it. Complete and utter bullshit was my thinking. I had almost convinced myself that my destiny, was solely based on my choices, my determination. Faith in myself. Only.

The idea of fate, of predestination rather than coincidence, of faith in a higher power creeped back into my world the summer I was turning 45. How textbook is that? It arrived at a time of crossroads, when I knew it was time to reclaim myself, to get out from under the tasks and responsibilities that were defining who I am. Fateful encounters with old and new friends like my friend Finnan who appears to have given me up for Lent but I hope will return soon, discussions with my husband who has been on his own personal journey of faith as well as being introduced to the works of Philip Yancey, Henri Nouwen, Dr. Paul Brand, Thomas Merton, Rollo May, and Anthony de Mello and many others have allowed many more splinters of light to shine through the armour. With the help of some beautiful people who write beautiful reflections out in blogland, I am learning more and more each day.
Through the people I work with on a daily basis I learn about grace, mercy, struggles, and strengths. I have a much different perspective on why I am where I am, and on why I have met and worked with so many people who are picking up the broken pieces OR who have learned to rely on their faith to live with their broken pieces. My religion is fed by the beautiful souls I have the privilege of walking a mile with everyday. Their stories, their lives are my Bible stories. I just have to show up and take it all in............and then share them with others. That seems to be my role, my function in the Body of Christ. It is why my writing began to flow, so I could take part in a religion...........on the streets, at a kitchen table, sitting in my office, on the road, even in the front foyer sometimes in a government office.






I'm plugging away, relearning the stories, revisiting the concepts, reconnecting with a Higher Power. I know now that I may be by myself at times, but I'm never alone. I may have some say in my destiny, but there are some things that happen for a reason I may never know the answer to. Still not attending church.......does it matter?






Faith is a journey, not a guilt trip. Faith is a journey, not a confrontation with judgement.






.........to answer the question originally generated by Nouwen's quote..............






My discipline is helping me to practise for the marathon............and I am as good a Disciple as I can be today. My goals are all laid out in a sermon on some important Mount......not too far away.

15 comments:

paris parfait said...

This is a fascinating piece and I can identify with much of what you've experienced and say. I grew up first in a Southern Baptist church (thankfully my mother whisked us away from all that Hellfire and Brimstone shouting from the pulpit), then Presbyterian. But over the years, I've rarely attended church other than Easter, Christmas, etc. My husband is Catholic (and he's a divorced Catholic) so you can imagine the guilt with which he struggles. Witnessing many terrible things in this world has made me think that sitting in the church is not what brings one closer to God - it's the everyday actions; what we do with our lives; our responsibility to make the most of ourselves and help others that really matters. These days I feel a spirituality more than a religion. And I too see organised religion often being too intolerant. Of course there are exceptions, but having lived and traveled in many countries and attended various religious services in multiple faiths, I still think it all comes down to a personal relationship with God and how we treat others - and one doesn't need to be in a certain place to pray.

Sunny said...

Again a beautiful picture and an intreguing piece.

I too have felt that pull away and then towards religion. I am not a religious person and aside from one Christmas Eve mass with my aunt I had never set foot inside a church before I was married.

My mother was very ANTI-religion. My father was raised Anglican but never went to church very often because they were too poor and church was the place where you had to dress up. They never had the money for nice clothes so they were too ashamed to attend. Too ashamed to attend a service that was meant to be all about Christian love...Jesus was a poor carpenter - so was my father.

My mother's distain for religion made me feel guilty about my own curiosity. When I married it was to a man who was a disillusioned Catholic. He was so anti-religion as well that should he go to church it would burn to the ground.

In my last year of university I decided to take a class called the sociology of religion and went to 3 different churches to compare and contrast sermons and atmosphere. It was very interesting.

I am still on my own path and I agree with Paris. It matters not where you pray on Sunday so long as you are a good person all the time (not just Sunday) and treat people fairly just as the big guy did.

One thing I don't believe in is the Bible as law. Too many people throw verses at you as though they know exactly what it means and that that is God's Law. God didn't write the book...Man did. It is all up to interpretation so I don't consider as evidence. It is a beautiful piece of literature though for the sack of a good story and lovely prose.

urbanmonk said...

WOW! Great testimony.

Hope its not presumptuos, but sounds to me, you found jesus where most do, outside the suffocating parapets of religion. In the eyes of Suffering, that has entered innocent lives unbidden, perhaps there resides most the man of sorrows, when you serve them, as you obviously have through out your life, you serve him.

Perhaps your more religious than you ever gave yourself credit for.

awareness said...

Tara. thanks for the encouragement, and for sharing a part of your own religious background. One of the more profound messages I have read over the past year was about prayer. The lesson? That prayer can happen anywhere.....this wasn't a concept I had even considered before reading that. It sure relaxed my thinking on it.

sunny....the picture was taken from the driveway of the client who just passed away. Isn't that a stunning view? I will return there in the fall to see it again.

I see the Bible in a more formal way than you do, though agree that it can't be rigidly interpreted. Right now, I'm reading a book Jamie gave me for Christmas which explains many biblical concepts, both historically and philosophically. It's a bit academic in how it's written, and I'm taking my time so that I can absorb it as I read. What I'm finding is a deeper personal respect for the lessons and and understanding as to why and how so many interpretations can be gleaned from one book.


Monk.......thank you. I was hoping you'd leave a comment. AND, what wonderful feedback, thank you. There is so much more I wanted to write (and I would like to fix the mistakes on this but my blog AND my computer are acting up!!! arggh) It was a great exercise.......difficult to be linear, and difficult to remember all those faces.....each one with a story......

I see it as a start..

And I do see that perhaps I am more religious than I think... Hmmmm :)

kenju said...

I could write a comment almost as long as your post (but I won't)..LOL

I have experienced some of what you speak of; didn't attend church for over 40 years and 3 years ago, I started going again. It was for all the wrong reasons (in the beginning) but slowly I began to get a lot from that Sunday service and now, I really hate to miss a week.

On my old blog, I wrote a piece about it before (not as in depth as yours), and when I find it, I will send you the link.

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

i like this very much - and i think i will be back later to say more, but for now i will chew....

The House on Big Island said...

To paraphrase the great Doctor Melifluous - Saint Bernard de Clairvaux:

It does not behoove thee to climb mountains, to forge rivers or cross deserts in search of God - look no further than in thine own heart - for it is there you will find him!

...and you have.

I think that he is there in St. Peter's, Chartres, St. Pauls, St. Giles, Yorkminster, and yes even the Duomo in Florence, but your need has been to discover him in a different place - in a context that could somehow justify the poverty, suffering, abuse and pain that you witness daily, to your own steadfast love of God and a lifelong desire to be closer to Him.

Although I don't have many answers - even for a beloved, old friend, I do believe that those answers lie deep within your own heart, where St. Bernard says we must look to find Him (or as Toes would insist - HER)

Would that we all could share your capacity for love and service to others, Dana. I hope that instead of challenging your belief in His compassion and love, you will see that the suffering and pain to which you have responded, over many years, is the highest form of discipleship. Whether you meant to be or not - you have been a vessel of His love and grace.

And in it's typical way - the Gospel reminds us:

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
For they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
For they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
For they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
For they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
For they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
For they shall be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.


My own deep desire to be closer to God has been fuelled by becoming re-acqainted with you and through reading much of what you write.

Do not abandon this search - as methinks you will find fulfillment in the journey.

With great respect and much love,

awareness said...

Hi Judy. I look forward to reading your previous posting. Your feelings on attending church? I'm thinking that if I was to begin going myself, I would also feel like I didn't want to miss it. Just have to find the right one, I think......it all comes down to a sense of belonging, the right fit etc. thanks for leaving your comments.


paul.....look forward to reading your comments. glad I was able to give you something to chew on besides "gammon"....:) i often feel, after reading your posts, the need to think about what you have written and shared.....nice to know i have reciprocated.

Ian.......such beautiful feedback. thank you. i don't even know what to say, except i'm left feeling very touched.

I'm on the road today and tomorrow....heading right into the snowstorm on our way to ontario.....yikes. our plan is to drive to the storm, stop for the night and let it happen all around us and then carry on. I will be thinking of what you have written, Daisy......

look forward to getting back to blogland when i can.

cheers.

Queen Mel said...

I love the post and the picture (of course its from his driveway) its so inspiring along with the news he has passed, how could you not talk about God?

My mother grew up United and fled at age 16 from it, she hated it and made no bones about it, my dad was from the round church (so the devil couldn't corner him - his joke not mine). As a child they allowed me to visit all of the different religions in our community (my mom's one rule was just not catholic churches).

I loved going to church and Sunday School and Sabbath classes etc....loved it all, my mom says I would return home and recite word for word what the stories were all about and the singing - Oh My.

Then I grew up, and married a CATHOLIC and became one myself - didn't tell mom until the night of the wedding rehersal (I couldn't do it). She's over it now - 11 years later - LOL

There is so much about religion I would rather not know, I have my thoughts on it and others have theirs. I believe in faith, hope and a higher power (that is my extent for now.

I do not visit church often, I too believe it doesn't matter where you are when the moment strikes you, I feel people bring themselves to church to show they are present and accounted for (some do, not all).

Great post!

Blogger Charles LeBlanc said...

You know your husband has been blogged right????

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi Dana, I have been thinking about this post since yesterday.
I think it will speak to many people in different ways.
I wonder if it is a lifelong journey of discovery towards discipleship, that we're on the road and discipleship is always just around the next corner...

Religion is so personal and yet can't help but affect those around us.
There are so many aspects of religion I have struggled with and still do.
I remember when I was pregnant with Richard, we had had three miscarriages and lost his twin during the pregnancy, and yet the chuch insisted we would have to have attended classes before they would baptise my baby, even if he was born dangerously premature...something we were very concerned might happen.
It was a low time as far as faith goes..and a wise and lovely priest from my childhood asked me at that point, not to let church get in the way of my personal relationship with God. It's something I come back to time and again when I get bogged down with everything else. It makes sense to me, a relationship in which we are always discovering new things, always learning and yet will never know, or understand it all. To have a relationship with someone we can question, argue with, rebel against even, yet is still there at the end of it all..
what a model for life... a life full of relationships, without which it would be empty... I don't know - It's personal.
I'm not sure I will ever fit in to a church - I wonder, if where there is acceptance and fitting in, then by default there is rejection and not fitting in and thats not what God is about, so I do see more of religion in our relationships outside of church in everyday life.
Sorry this is so long - you provided food for thought - and words, havea safe trip,Katie,x

carmilevy said...

"Faith is a journey, not a guilt trip. Faith is a journey, not a confrontation with judgement."

Amen. My issue with faith has always been some folks' propensity to spout it dogmatically without really appreciating what it all means. Religion isn't the mindless repetition of words from some prayer book. It is the richness of community, the feeling of being part of something bigger than yourself, of being a good person, or sharing with others and doing your best to repair the world around you.

All of that - and more - is obvious in your writing and your life. The bible-thumpers could learn a thing or two from the way you have chosen to travel. Beautifully put no matter what interpretation of God we choose to follow.

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

dana - i have tried to respond to this provocative post so many times - am going to copy part of my MA thesis which dealt with discipleship (according to Bonhoeffer)

not sure it is helpful to the discussion but it's the best i can do....sorry

"Today we, the children of Western culture, post-modern, adult children of the enlightenment, struggle with practical atheism. Our churches are slowly emptying and, more and more, the sense of God is slipping from our ordinary lives. (Ronald Roheiser)


All of these changes and more mean that tinkering at the edges of the church will not be sufficient to meet the challenges of this millennium. We need to start at the beginning again, and rethink the whole way we ‘do’ church.
(Mike Riddell)



Learning to live fully is a continuing change of process, adaptation and growth. Bonhoeffer during the ‘Germanizing’ of the church in the 1930’s understood that Christianity had to address the centre of life rather than the religious margins. This chapter looks at the key issues and implications of Bonhoeffer’s prediction, focusing on what Dietrich actually said about a new monastic community.

Community as Salt and Light in a Tasteless and Dark World
Central to the new monasticism is Jesus’ teaching found in Matthew chapter five. Bonhoeffer proposes that this is the key to Christ-like community.
‘…it is also there that a group of young Christians are seriously considering the possibility of starting a small Christian community in the form of a settlement or any other form on the basis of the Sermon on the Mount. It is felt that only by a clear and
uncompromising stand Christianity can be a vital force for our people. It is also felt that the developments of the church disputes…are tending more and more to a sort of conservative Christianity which of course would go very well with the rather conservative spirit which is steadily growing.’
Moreover he cites that the community of faith is called to be the salt which enlivens and penetrates the whole earth. Bonhoeffer seems to be suggesting that in the imperishability of salt we have a guarantee of the permanence of the divine community – that community being a new monastic order.
‘I think I am right in saying that I would only achieve true inward clarity and sincerity by really starting work on the Sermon on the Mount. Here alone lies the force that can blow all the stuff and nonsense sky-high…The restoration of the Church must surely depend on a new kind of monasticism, having nothing in common with the old but a life of uncompromising adherence to the Sermon on the Mount in imitation of Christ.

Historical and sociological insights urge theologians to look hard at situations where church praxis is worked out. Ideas in isolation are not enough. Theology needs to be seen in relation to the events which will eventually shape it. Bonhoffer’s theology is best understood as an account of the continuity of God’s identity interpreted through the identity of Christ – which would then inform the Christian identity through the Sermon on the Mount. Christ then lives in and works through the new monastic community, so demonstrating a Christological pattern of human relationship that affirms the intrinsic value of integrity and faithfulness.

Some scholars say that Life Together and The Cost of Discipleship can be read as theological manuals on Christian community. There are complementary themes of mediation and immediacy that emanate from Bonhoffer’s work. He suggests that the ‘disciple community does not shake off sorrow as though it were no concern of its own, but willingly bears it.’ The clarification of such propositions occurs in the way Bonhoeffer develops his doctrine of community. He suggests that when salt loses its flavour it in fact ceases to be salt, suggesting that judgement hangs over the Christian community depending whether or not it seasons the world.

In the same way he extends Christ’s image of this same community as the light of the world – the call not to be hidden. Bonhoeffer is uncompromising in his interpretation of the sermon and its outworking. In a remarkable statement he proposes that if one lights a lamp and places it under a ‘bushel’ for such reasons as fear or ‘deliberate conformity for ulterior motive’ then this sentimental humanitarianism may be ‘reformation theology which boldly claims the name of “theologia cruces”, and pretends to prefer to Pharisaic ostentation a modest invisibility, which in practice means conformity to the world. When that happens, the hall mark of the Church becomes “justifia civilis” instead of extraordinary visibility.’

Bonhoeffer clearly recognises the need for the Church to be a living community of people rather than some conglomerate of ‘chosen ones’. He understood that Christian community is markedly different from those forms of community where group dynamic techniques are employed to achieve goals. He goes as far to say that, ‘where the question of “presentation” becomes the theme of theology we can be certain that the cause has been betrayed and sold out.’ Bonhoeffer is not so concerned with a phenomenological description of community but rather Christ-centered theological praxis between Church and reformation. The common task it seems is to unite the two, and it is here that Lesslie Newbigin suggests, ‘Without possibility of question, is the most challenging missionary frontier of our time.’ For Newbigin and Bonhoeffer the hermeneutic task of a post-modern missiology is rooted in the challenge to overcome the limitations imposed by post-Enlightenment definitions of ‘truth’. Both do this by urging Christians to practise a holistic mission, suggesting that it is the universality of God’s love which is the ground of the calling of a community to be the messengers of truth and bearers of love to all people. Bonhoeffer’s point is that neither truth nor love can be communicated except that they are embodied in a community which reasons and loves. The hermeneutic task is therefore for Bonhoeffer recognising the nature of God’s ideal community as revealed in the Sermon on the Mount and seeking to implement that revelation."

awareness said...

Hi everyone. I've been on the road for two very snowy days.... glad to be safe and sound in my parents home......my home growing up. I can't tell you how wonderful it was to read your thoughts and comments. I'm a wee bit speechless! That rarely happens........

To think I seriously hesitated posting this.

Daisy/Ian.......your words stayed with me throughout the road trip. It's funny how one can travel all over and find what one really needs right within. It's very true. Sometimes we are so busy looking out in the horizon for answers and direction and it's sitting right under our noses! I'm sure there will be many times when I want to get that canoe out again, and paddle over to check out a new "site" and maybe even get really excited about an opportunity that may take me away from the work I do........but this past year of writing and reflecting......of realizing that the work I do allows me SO MANY life affirming lessons.......well, it puts so many aspects into perspective.
It all goes back to recognizing their are bigger things at work in the universe than little old me can control! the fulfillment factor is now more fully recognized. :)

Hi Tay.......thank you for your thoughts and stories. Isn't it funny how worried we get by the "reaction" we will receive from others important to us if we decide to head down a different road to religion than theirs? It was one of the reasons why I hesitated posting this..... It all comes down to finding what is right for you. I have always believed personally that my religious path would be lifelong. I knew if would be circuitous (as is my brain wiring) and convoluted (again, as is my brain).....that I just had to keep plugging away....and my interest would return when the time was right. I love the course I'm on right now, because it allows me a chance to consider and contemplate various aspects and terminology.....various stories etc one at a time if I want to....and when I want to. My writing and this blog has archived part of this process...where this piece fits.......well, I think now it's a first attempt at pulling the learning together, as well as taking the time to acknowledge where it unravelled.

charles! My hubby has been blogged? Well! Every day and twice on Sunday, lucky guy! hahaha

Hi Katie.....discipleship is in the doing......and is around the corner, I think. And if we turn the corner, it's around the next corner and the next......our role as disciples is enhanced by our journey and it changes as we do. this is what I'm thinking.

William Glasser talks about doing the best we can do with the resources and abilities we have at any given time. Our behaviour and actions reflect our changing knowledge base.

I LOVE the message you received from that priest....not to let religion get in the way of our personal relationship with God. I will keep that in mind! Thank you for sharing so much Katie. I'll be in touch.

Carmi....thank you. It was dogmatism, that face value, no deeper than a puddle hogwash that really closed the door on religion for me for a long time. Now, when I hear it, it doesn't seem to trigger me the way it used to, because I have started to find my own comfort level. Having said that, I do challenge the fire and brimstone types that still seem to make it their business to try to "save" others......


Paul...........you sir will have to wait for a response to your thought provoking beautiful comments.....it's my turn to chew. Stay tuned my friend. Thank you. :)

wow.............

awareness said...

Paul......my first thoughts reading part of your thesis took me straight to the philosophy behind the L'Arche movement and Nouwen's descriptions of community in his journal.
I also thought of the sense of community felt in a working kibbutz, how the children live together and are brought up together as an extended family. From the very first time I learned of the kibbutz movement when I was in high school, i have always been intrigued by the concept.....developed for practical purposes initially, with an afterglow of providing a sense of significance and belonging.

Both of these communities are enriched with their own spice, there own salt.......

The word that really resonated with me in your piece was "vital" It's such a great word with such important meaning....for any religious movement to continue, it must continue to be seen as vital to the members.

So.......discipleship....is the way to promote vitality.....has the power to connect with others with empathy and a sense of social intuition.......is the key to allowing us to remain vital ourselves.

ps. Bonhoeffer btw was discussed briefly in the car on the way to Ontario yesterday....how synchronistic is that?? This afternoon, I asked Jamie about him, and was given a brief historical background lesson on his work......once again, I have recognized the great pleasure it is to have married an historian!! He's a great dancer too.