Friday, March 09, 2007

morality, identity and listening to the blues......


Last night, an old friend, Robin and his family joined us for dinner and late night wine tasting. Well, it was more like wine cascading which fed the ebb and flow of the non-stop conversation. Our "blue moon" times together reach way back to a time when my husband and I started dating. They had met in an undergraduate religious studies course at University and have always shared similar interests. It's not often we have a chance to connect for an evening with friends who have known us that long because we live far away from our roots. It was good to connect again.


During the course of the juggle between catching up and reminscing......oh, and sipping more wine, Robin told us about the tutorials he had facilitated yesterday for a Leadership course he teaches. He is part of the Religious studies faculty at my old alma mater. His passion for his life in academia glowed from him as he shared the question he threw out to the students and some of their deeply felt answers. The discourse he experienced led him to learn and to stretch his own perspective. You could tell just from the enthusiasm in his voice.



While I listened, I couldn't help but wonder if this man is stirring up passions in others......... by sharing his own, by respecting that his students are open to critical thinking challenges. Robin's question has stayed with me all day today, feeding my own critical thinking. Conversations with Robin seem to always have that affect on me.



And, now I offer it up for you to ponder......................


What are the questions to which soul is the answer?




7 comments:

kenju said...

That is a question which requires some deep thought - for which I have no time at the moment. However, off the top of my head, I'd say: "What is the sign of my innermost being; the part of me that is the repository of my spiritual core, and the part which survives physical death?"

Rainbow dreams said...

and I take that question with me.... to ponder as it should...

I will be back, but new music has filled our house today and I'd definitely say that art and music feed the soul, an e mail to follow Dana, x

St. Kevin & the Blackbird said...

You forgot to mention the delicious food you put on the table!

awareness said...

judy.....off the top of your head is a mighty fine place! :) I love your answer.

katie......glad the music finally crossed the airwaves and the pond. we're heading back to the Maritimes this afternoon....will look forward to your email when I reach home (God's country)

Robin.....so.....are you st. kevin or the blackbird? I think you're a little of both. It was wonderful to see you again. funny how we never get around to talking about the weather! we always seem to jump right into the biggie stuff.....music, food, wine, crazy families, spirits, and of course the eternal reciprocity of tears. Welcome to blogland......let it flow!
Next shared repast? On our back deck this summer taking in the sunset over the Saint John river.

Perplexio said...

Pardon my metaphor but say human beings are cars-- our body is the chasis, the engine, tires, wheels, axles, exhaust system, radiator, headlights, etc. etc. It's the physical substance of who/what we are.

The soul is our gasoline. it's what drives us, it's what makes us go and keeps us going.

That being said I'm not sure if I'm interpreting the question correctly, but even if I'm not it is a question that I don't believe has any wrong answer.

The House on Big Island said...

These questions came fist to my mind:

What tastes good poached in butter with almonds - ???

What wears out first on a much worn shoe???

...but reading everyone else's comments makes me think I am on the wrong road!

awareness said...

Hey Perplex.....i like your analogy. I think you may like the book by Paul Brand and Philip Yancey.....it's two books actually, under the title....In the Likeness of God. By far the most interesting and thought provoking book I have read.

Daisy......Good answer! Let's have wine with that fish.... :) Then, we cover both souls/soles.