Monday, February 19, 2007

saying the words out loud



when was the last time you read the words out loud?

when was the last time

you picked up

your favourite poem

your favourite passage from a novel

your favourite song

your favourite story

your favourite piece of your own writing

AND

instead of reading the words silently,

you heard your own voice

you listened to your own tone...

your own emotionally driven sound

bringing life to a typeface?

Starkly soulful, timidly bashful, nakedly vulnerable, boldly assertive, calmly winded words.

Joyful, musical, quiet, haunting, wide-eyed, personified.......electrified


Tearical lyrical words.

Right out there on your emotional sleeve.


This morning, my son and I were home together with me reading some words aloud to help his sore throat go away. Our goal was to finish the novel, "The Bridge to Terabithia," because we want to see the movie this weekend. It's not a long novel and we only had a few chapters left, but it is full of big issues that often take us down other conversational paths...........family, heartache, friendship, death, love and God.........the biggies all wrapped up in a book written for 9 year olds. So, not only was it a great story all on it's own, it was also a jumping off point for pointed questions and the best answers a mom can give when thinking on her feet. We had all morning..........no rush.


Then came the climax of the story and I'm reading aloud. If I had been reading it just to myself, I would have felt the tension, absorbed the description and moved on. However (without giving away any of the story since some of you just may want to read it ALOUD or go see it at the theatres........) since I was dramatically reading out loud, the feeling........and the description of the actions made the words catch in my throat. All of a sudden, I'm unable to continue saying the words aloud..............it was just too darn sad for big brave momma. Oh, I got through it after I grabbed the kleenex box.......with my son staring at me to make sure I wasn't going to break down in a sobbing soppy mess or that maybe my head was going to pop off as an encore.

"Do you cry a lot when you're reading your own books, Mom?"

"Not that often....sometimes, but I think it's more poignant when the words are said aloud."

"Why?"

"Hmmmmm, I think they have more meaning.......you can put more meaning in how you say them. It makes the story more real."

"Are you going to be able to make it through the movie? It's probably going to be sadder."

"Yeah........but don't worry........theatres are dark and I have a feeling I won't be the only one crying."

"Well, I won't be crying."

"Yeah, we'll see.........I think it will depend on how the words are said aloud."

8 comments:

Perplexio said...

The other week I was telling Toni about a movie I'd been watching and as I was telling her I got all choked up. I believe the movie was I'd Do Anything with Nick Nolte. There's a scene where his daughter is screen testing for a sitcom (she's trying to become a child star) and the scene she's testing for she has to cry. Whenever she practices the part she can't cry. And finally when she has to cry for the screen test she nails it.

After the scene she runs into her father's arms and says, "The thing that made me cry was thinking about someone taking me away from you."

I just got all misty eyed typing it (I'm a pit of a sap that way) I had trouble even recounting the scen to my wife as it was getting me all choked up.

I don't generally get choked up reading either aloud or to myself. There is one exception I can think of though. I was in a bookstore one day and picked up Michael W. Smith's This Is Your Time. The book is about the song he wrote of the same name about one of the girls killed in the Columbine school shooting in 1999. He was recounting what it was like to meet the parents of the slain teens. I had to put the book down and walk away because I was losing composure.

kenju said...

I cry while reading books, watching TV or movies, or almost anytime. I'm a big sap that way. It doesn't even have to be particularly sad....LOL

Shaz said...

OHhhh I am so like that songs movies and books I am hopeless and so are my girls.

Nikita said...

Poetry makes me cry when read aloud, and movies frequently get me

Rainbow dreams said...

I remember reading that book not long ago - would love to see the film.

I always had to practice reading sad poems or extracts out loud before sharing them with groups, for that very reason - didn't want to be a sobbing mess in front of an audience!
It is amazing the difference it makes, you're right

awareness said...

hey perplex.......good to see you holding up the male side of the discussion. Next time you're in a bookstore, check out Robert Munsch's book "Love you Forever...." in the children's section. Have a little read... and let me know.

Have you ever seen the short video clip that circulated last year about the young autistic kid who loved basketball? He has been the biggest supporter of his high school team I think.....the last game of the year, the coach puts this kid into the game and he ends up nailing 4 or 5 baskets in a row? My husband cannot get through the recounting that story.....the first time he tried was on our way home from work and he was trying to tell our daughter about it. I had to finish the story for him.....something about it completely took the breath right out of him.

kenju and shaz.....i'm that way.....and don't get me started on little children choirs singing....

hi niki.....there are some pieces of poetry and some songs that just pierce my tear ducts too. poetry especially needs to be read aloud and felt fully don't you think.

katie....my biggest fear giving speeches etc is that I will become too emotional. last spring when i had to read something i had written at a chapel at a reunion, i prepared for a long time ahead of time so that I could get through it. it worked......and so did my words on the people who attended!! heehee......

Em said...

Speaking on behalf of macho men everywhere, I sometimes cry pretty hard when reading aloud to my wife. I'm fine reading it to myself. But you are absolutely right, reading aloud gives the words more emotion and connects us more strongly with the words.

awareness said...

em.......especially if the words pertain to a rattle snake attacking a dog?? I can't believe that book was banned. :)