Sunday, February 04, 2007

scoring of sunshine and storms



"The aim and final end of all music
should be none other than
the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul."
Johann Sebastian Bach



A multi-layered temperment emanates from classical music. Without words to direct the story, the sounds of an orchestra driven by purposeful glory somehow make their instruments weep with emotional resonance. It can turn a silent bare room into a cathedral.

One violin........just one violin played by a master has the ability to lift you into it's imagination.

One flute........just one little innocent flute played with light fingers and precision lips can conjure a picture of a whole sky filled with geese flying with the wind.

Like any great story, classical music begins softly; a few measured notes to set the tone. Layer upon phyllo layer deepens the timbred plot. When the layers deepen to include other toned strings and deeper baritone sounds from wind instruments, the visuals behind the musical stories are ornately multi-hued, leading you on a journey that may bring sunshine or storms, merriment or loneliness, solace or conflict.........depending on the spring in the notes.

These are my captured thoughts listening to a CD collection of some of the masterpieces while folding laundry alone this afternoon. It seems to me, I prefer to listen to a symphony on a Sunday afternoon when I'm attending to a task that needs no part of my own thinking. Mindless tasks allow for mind full ness.......a chance to inhale beauty........a chance to imagine.

I have a very limited knowledge of classical music. In fact, I could only list a few names of well known pieces, and a few others I have grown to love. Yet when I take the opportunity to be present just to the music to allow it to flood over me I can lose myself in the captured grace.

Grace notes from the Masters...........filling my ears with the warmth of Creation on a bitter cold February Sunday afternoon ............mindfully appreciated.

8 comments:

Shaz said...

I have never really sat and listened to classical before but you have made it sound so amazing I just may try it. Thanks

Queen Mel said...

Reading your blog takes me away for a moment erases all of my cares......wow!

awareness said...

Hey Shaz.........there are times when I will sit and listen, but most times I prefer listening to it as I go about doing something that doesn't require my thinking....oh and driving sometimes. I'm thinking but, i find that it will calm me, especially if I'm driving in nasty weather or in lots of traffice.

Tay.....thank you.....your comments make me feel wonderful. I often wonder how something I've written makes someone feel. this piece was written with the intention of doing just what you described! :)

Sunny said...

Just last weekend I was watching a documentary on Bethoven's 9th symphony on Bravo (the frou-frou channel). It was wonderful! It was the "Ode to Joy" although as they tore down the Berlin wall or played it in an old Concentration Camp they replaced the word "Joy" with "Freedom". This symphony has been adopted as the European anthem and means alot of things to alot of people...some good and some bad. It is a beautiful piece though.
My friend, Sara, introduced me to classical music back in junior high and although I don't listen to it very often I truly love it and appreciate the layers.
It's beautiful and very moving. What is a movie without music. Try watching Lord of the Rings without the volume...it loses its magic. Music is the heartbeat of the soul.

Anna said...

Wonderful picure...look at those birds!

Thanks for your encouraging comments on my blog. I really appreicate this little blogging family of mine that is SO supportive! God has really blessed me with all of you out there...

Sincere thanks.

kenju said...

Oh, how I do agree with you. My childhood piano lessons fostered a love for classical music in me. I do love jazz, but sometimes classical is what I NEED!

Thanks for the visit and comment. If you really love working with flowers, you should work for a local florist in your area who does a lot of weddings. They are almost always looking for good and reliable people to work. You'd get some good training and experience and then you could really do it on your own.

awareness said...

Hey Sunny.....I was actually going to write a post on music and movies. I was also thinking that most likely my first intro to classical music was from "The Bunny of Seville." Remember that Bugs classic??

There are certain scenes from the movies that have remained so vividly etched in my brain because the music/score fit the scene so perfectly. Maybe I will write about this another day.

Anna........the blogging comraderie and kindredship is quite uplifting, I so agree. I'm thinking that it may help when one is living away from home? Does it help the distances seem smaller?

Judy...great idea. I actually did speak to a florist after she saw the bridal bouquet I made for a friend. She had asked me then to get in touch and I never did because the timing wasn't right. Maybe this summer I will follow up. I find flower arranging etc so therapeutic and creative at the same time.........it's such a buzz to pull together an amazing collection of blooms....

awareness said...

Judy.........I love jazz too......