Thursday, January 15, 2009

reflections of a broken dream

Heart pane,
Photo produced by my talented daughter Martha.
I'm trying to encourage her to start her own photo blog. Perhaps after exams are over. I'll keep you posted. She's a blossoming talent and always helps me figure out what to post for Carmi's weekly theme. This week, we've combined her photo with my poem.



blurred lines along the highway
this landscape etched in pain
closed door houses looking all the same
twilight hovers, feeding the aching game
aching game.

This empty kitchen coldness, hums a moaning strain.
the woodstove fire's gone out
whos to blame?
who's to blame?
this loneliness in my soul echoes like rain,
like the rain

I catch your reflection in the mirror
when I'm looking through a dream
trying to shave away the stubble through the fog and steam
to find the face of what's left of me, a reverie...
a reverie

my bones so brittle, they've aged a thousand years
these times i've let go of a hundred million tears
encased in deep affection when your voice appears
lost love feeding these darkest night fears
dark night fears.

This empty kitchen coldness, hums a moaning strain.
the woodstove fire's gone out
whos to blame?
who's to blame?
this loneliness in my soul echoes like rain,
like the rain......

I hear a voice, it echos in the silence of the night
Damn its cold and lonely without you in my sight
but through the crack, an opening I know I see some light
this aging soul is empty, but hasn't given up the fight.
hasn't given up the fight......

This empty kitchen coldness, hums a moaning strain.
the woodstove fire's gone out
whos to blame?
who's to blame?
this loneliness in my soul echoes like rain,
like the rain



This week's Thematic Photo theme over at Carmi's Written Inc is Aged. Love can do that to you can't it? It can make you feel young and it can leave you feeling very old. Still, we take the risk of opening our hearts, of seeking love because without it, we starve. For more (perhaps upbeat) takes on the theme this week, check out Carmi's blog.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

who needs upbeat - i like melancholy....

beautiful....

awareness said...

melancholy on a bloody cold winter morning. they seem to go hand in hand....it's -30 celcius without the wind!! omg!

i'm glad you liked. I was trying to channel Mr. Waits....x

Anonymous said...

it needs a voice like that.....if tom ain't free maybe mr Rourke?

awareness said...

yes....good old Mickey. he's drank enough midnight whiskey to give it the gravel it needs.

My God, watching him the other night on TV at the awards...I couldn't help but wonder about the scene in Diner with the popcorn box (one of the funniest in the history of film)....the same man?? haha!

Anonymous said...

yes and no i guess

he could have (and could still be) the finest actor of his generation - angelheart is a remarkable piece

Anonymous said...

Your daughter is every bit as talented as her mother. Loved both pieces :)

awareness said...

paul...so right...it would be very interesting to sit down with him to listen to him describe the changes and the aspects he feels are the same too.

I feel the same about Robert Downey Jr. His talent is still untapped...and the bears and demons he wrestles with have most certainly changed him. I have seen Angelheart, though Jamie reminded me of the story etc.

Gypsy...I have a few other photos I plan to put up on my blog soon that Martha took recently. She has a natural eye and an inherent astheticism I'm sure will carry into her adult career choices. She's got a good business head too to go along with the creativity and social awareness.

carmilevy said...

Ooh, such powerful images from a soul who definitely punches above her weight class.

Your influence is clearly strong in her. Good on you, mom!

awareness said...

Thanks Carmi....Martha will be please to read your comments. It's all her doing...her perspective.

Nikita said...

Well I don't know photography... but I know I LOVE that photo, it's exactly the kind of thing I would aspire to own and to hang with pride on my wall. Well done Martha...
And Martha's Mum! That poem was so soulful, and so deep. I really enjoyed it... and agree with you and Paul re the voice. x

swilek said...

Your poem brought tears to my eyes...beautiful and I agree with everyone here, your daughter is talented and hope she starts a photoblog soon:)

awareness said...

Niki! I'll negotiate a price! :) lol.
what i love about attempting to write something like this is that it takes you to a very different place in your head and heart...to dredge it up...and then to lay it out in some receptive way. it's kind of a zone thing or something. do you know what i mean?

karyne...wow! I touched a chord. :) love that. thank you for letting me know.

I think the wonderful feedback here will help me convince martha to start up her own blog. thank you.

Nikita said...

I know what you mean. I recently found the USB containing well over 100 pages of my poems... was that a journey!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

This is suc h a full poem...the density feels like I have to come back and read this many times to get the full meaning, if ever. You are so very talented, and your daughter has her own beautiful talent, too!

Marja said...

Happy to be back to read this great piece and the great picture fits well with it. Yes love contains pain and happiness. I can relate a bit to it after having waved out my favourite brother today

Bar L. said...

She is a blooming talent...she takes after her mother who is a blossomed talent.

Independent Chick said...

Your daughter is very talented...just like her Mama. : )

awareness said...

niki...100 pages! I look forward to reading some of them on your blog.

Naomi...you know, i sometimes wonder where poems come from. they don't arrive often, but when they do, they seem to fall out of my fingers in a fury. Their meaning often allude me. :)

Marja...welcome back. Oh man, that must be so difficult with you living so far away from your family. It's one thing to be a 14 hour drive away like I am...but to be on the other side of the world is a heartbreak. I'm sure you squeezed the most of your time together....but still.

layla....she certainly is a blooming talent. creativity is natural for her....and I don't say that just as a momma.

IC...thanks. She babysits too!

Anonymous said...

'Empty kitchen coldness' is such a great line. I really enjoyed the tone and rhythm of this!

I do think Martha should consider starting a photo blog. She is very talented.

Mojo said...

Since you can't put a photograph to music, it's good that you included the lyrics of this song.

Keep encouraging the young one. She's got the chops to go places with her art.

awareness said...

Selma..I felt it too when the words came to me.

Mojo....thank you...will pass on the feedback. I agree. :)

Pamela said...

a dream team, you two!