Saturday, January 24, 2009

"I will rise now...."

I waited for the sunrise this morning and was disappointed to see the day emerge void of life affirming colour. Clouds full of snow threatening to drop down on the landscape seemed to cloak the sky's breath and depth of possibilities. Omnipresent like a sneering bully on the playground, they hovered....arms crossed, immovable and bossy!

I walked away, determined to ignore it's wintry threats and began to focus my attention on slipping into the beauty of the imagination where the spectrum of possibility perches on the precipice of eternity. Over a cup of tea of course. Imagination and tea are happy partners in generating thoughts and feelings. No cloudy bully was going to break my spirit! HA! Not when I had a steaming mug of tea by my side.....especially when the mug, purchased on my trip to the UK, has a quote by Billy Connolly printed on the side of it....(love that man!)
"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on...."
OK.....imagination, tea and a twisted need for a sip of the absurd....my ingredients to bite back at the bully clouds....to see the world around me with a new set of eyes.
Pretty soon, I swear I heard Bono singing in my head....a beautiful backdrop to my own imagination fueled by my happy tea mug. Like a whoosh, I was pulled into it's orchestration. The music memory awakened expressed love like the opening of Solomon's Song of Songs.... it's breeze clearing way for enlightening. Ah......love's stirring yearnings....
My spirit automatically lifted. Amazing how the harmonious blend of lyrics and sound can do that, even if it's a memory playing just to yourself. Sure there are days when dirges can fill the spirit if you let them. Today, however, there seemed to be no need to push any sorrowful tunes away. Bono was prayerfully present to stir my thoughts! With my eyes closed absorbing the words, the sound and my feelings, I smiled and took a couple of meditative breaths....
It's a beautiful day
Don't let it get away
It's a beautiful day

Touch me
Take me to that other place
Teach me
I know I'm not a hopeless case

I looked up and out the window again. Day had broken without the cresting colour just above the horizon. That time had come and gone. Instead, it had patiently held onto its empowering beauty, joined forces with the words of the wind and braided its luminescence through the bullying clouds. Shadows and light tasting colour seeped out its drama, like a life living its dramatic score.
Still in my sexy red plaid flannel pyjamas, I exchanged my cozy slippers for my furlined boots, slipped on my big woolen coat, grabbed my camera and headed out the door into the crisp coldness of a January morning. A fresh layer of snow cleansed the salt and sand on the street. The front yards covered by knee deep powder reflected the new light of day, it's shadows forming in the windswept drifts. The winter nesting birds warbled their own welcoming sound.
I felt alive and connected to my part of the world......alone standing in the middle of my street.....I enjoyed the unveiling of a beautiful day. Let the drama begin.






14 comments:

kenju said...

I love the striped clouds.

much2ponder said...

The pictures are beautiful Dana. I enjoyed interpreting your thoughts this morning and was pleasantly surprised by the photos. Blessings to you today.

On another note; been out of the blogging world for the past week due to lack of time and interest in other things. For example: My husband. But seriously, I have been reading the Anam Cara, book on Celtic Wisdom by John O'Donohue. It is just wonderful. Again...thank you for the tip. I am finding myself thinking..."this guy has put to words what my heart has been feeling in many areas for some time". It is so full and thoughtfully written. I absolutely love it!

Rainbow dreams said...

Beautiful photos, well worth the wait...enjoy recharging this weekend.
That blanket looks wonderful in your last post too, a moment captured beautifully, glad you slept well,x

awareness said...

Judy...the whole north sky was striped...above it was a jet stream seemingly lifting out of the clouds...this is what caught my attention initially. Sadly, i couldn't get my winter gear on fast enough to take a shot of it.

m2p...i felt the same way when i read it....and was so enthralled that he was writing on themes which had been stirring in my mind for a while.....his eloquence took my breath away at times....even now, when i dip back into his lyrical imagery i feel an indescribable nourishment. I'm thrilled you're enjoying it so much.

katie...glad you liked the photo. did I say that I slept well? Nope...didn't do that. can't imagine how that feels. but i did my best to clear my head and make room for new ideas.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photos as always Dana. So different from our skies at the moment which are big and blue and shimmering with heat.

Word Verification: cryout

Nikita said...

I only EVER put tea cosy's on my head ;) x

awareness said...

gypsy...i kind of feel like i've forgotten those heat filled skies...they seem so far away as we hunker down in the dead of winter. soon enough they will return.

Niki....And what about Will? Could he state the same? :)

swilek said...

I bet your flannels are sexy!!:) what a beautiful morning. We had a gorgeous day today in spite of the cold..the sun was sparkling on the snow covered farms while I was out and about but had no camera with me!

Anonymous said...

really beautiful, sky here is full of water...

awareness said...

Karyne....they are "right sexy" in a hoser kind of way.
I can't picture the scenery you mention....that farmland close to where you live is beautiful any time of the year.

paul....believe it or not, they were calling for rain yesterday morning here...the freezing kind. Luckily we dodged that one. Yeah, I would much rather have the snow than the rain at this time of year. why don't you come over to my house and we'll go tobogganing? I promise....no RANTS thrown at you. I think I've calmed down. :)

Nikita said...

Of course... I wouldn't be with him otherwise ;)

awareness said...

Niki...most definately a prerequisite for a partner....he's gotta look good in a tea cosy....or at least know how to get away with it.

BreadBox said...

That quote completely captures one tenth of Billy Connolly --- if you haven't heard his early stuff (from several decades back! I remember listening to him in the late seventies, if not in the early thrumpysevixes) it is worth searching out. He ranges from the gutbreakingly funny to the heartrending sadness of "I'm asking you, Sergeant, where's mine", about a young sapper in hospital, back from a tour of duty in NI, missing a few limbs.

N.

awareness said...

N....Billy Connolly has been around my neighbourhood too since the 70's! Does that make us oldish N? He is one funny funny man. I did love him in that movie about Queen Victoria playing it seriousish.