Sunday, January 11, 2009

the innocents....

angel light....our only offering


a mother, huddled in a corner of a room in Gaza, holding her baby daughter in her arms...both wrapped in a thin blanket....their only protection from harm. she whispers.....


baby, your clay so fresh
tell me
who do you see
when you look out from the pink
with newly opened eyes?

baby, wrapped in warm love
tell me
who fills the air
around you?
I see you smiling in recognition
with your eyes
just learning how to focus.

baby, my baby,
your perfect fingers reaching outward
touching someone invisible to my adult eyes
who are you welcoming
with trusting innocence?
what stories are they filling
you heartsoul with?


will they always be there to care for you,
to make sure you're safe and sound and loved?


sweet baby, nursed by my breasts
held in my arms
rocked by lullabies as old as the hills
how can i keep you from harm
so you can grow up to dance
so lively your feet never touch the ground
your flowing skirts fluttering with joy?
how can I hold you in peace
so your eyes keep their desire
to seek out life's mysteries?

how can I feed you
how can I keep you safe
when the whole sky above us
rains down firey broken dreams
from black clouds of revenge?
What can I do
to make sure your dreams have a chance?


i have a promise to keep,
sweet love
i have a promise to keep.



tonight, light a candle of winter warmth and peace. we have promises to keep. let us strive to bring the children towards the lights of peace in the world darkened by death and war.
Light your candle tonight and say a prayer of promise....fill your words with the teachings embraced by all religions...one of love and peace and justice.
The Holy Land needs a lullaby.

6 comments:

Nikita said...

My candle is lit darling, and my prayers are said. x

awareness said...

Niki....the picture of a mom and her babe has haunted me all day. I can't stop thinking about it.

Nikita said...

It would me darl'. x

much2ponder said...

I am going to do as you ask right now. I often light candles to remember those who are passed, but tonight I light a candle for those you speak of here. Bless you and your heart that is burdened for these people. I pray we not forget them and keep them in our prayers for peace and justice. Lord, great protector and healer. We pray for things that seem impossible to us knowing nothing is impossible with you. God be their comfort and have you way we pray.

awareness said...

m2p...beautiful. i believe every prayer helps.

Rainbow dreams said...

am praying too - it breaks my heart