Wednesday, January 07, 2009

new learning


Learning is a limitless blue sky expanse; its air so fresh it can leave you dizzy. It's an elixir so tasty it leaves your lips smacking for more. Or it could be the worst tasting cough syrupy mess, it leaves your throat crying out for relief.
it can.....
knock you sideways
threaten your values
tickle your fancy
kick you in the gut
make you blink
fill you with desire
tap your temples
touch your heart
make you cry
open your eyes
stretch your soul
thump you with laughter
stump your senses
bump you in the night.....bump, bump, bump.


today, I learned....

how a man felt when he held his dying grandmother's hand,

what it's like to be lost in the bottom of a bottle of cheap whiskey

that loneliness sleeps in a place of misfit belonging,
how humour seen through rheumy eyes has many layers


that I have much in common with a homeless man

what its like to live a life debilitated by anxiety

how a man knows he has learned many life lessons from his mentally ill brother after he learned to grieve

that paddling down the river is a place where God touches you

how the serenity prayer lifts spirits and offers hope especially in the early hours of sobriety.



Not from a book.
Not from the media.
I learned these lessons from being welcomed into the lives of a few people who shared their insights, their feelings, and their hearts with me today.


I love books....and I love learning from them. They feed my curiosity, quench some thirsts. But what teaches me more are the human beings who are open to sharing some of their stories with me.... Ironically, I was accused today of "always getting off topic" in my counselling sessions by a colleague when I excitedly tried to share one of the conversations I had just experienced. Her perception of me (new learning!!) caught in my throat like a cherry pit. I spit it out and walked away dumbfounded.


wow.... blink, blink, blink...that one tapped me on the temple.


This week's photo theme at Carmi's Written Inc. is "new".........for more newbies, check out his blog, which ALWAYS provides new learning for me.

18 comments:

much2ponder said...

I hear you in this post. I sometimes get a little too wrapped up in learning through reading and taking notes...I know it is true the best learning happens when two lives meet. It is people and their stories that matter most. Thank you for this timely reminder.

kenju said...

The best things are learned from others, not books. Considering how much I love books, that's a strong statement.

carmilevy said...

I love the depth of this scene. You've taken me back to my late grandparents' apartment. It was always dark, with dusty stacks of well-loved books piled high into the corners, lit halfheartedly by lamps not entirely different from the one peeking out of the corner.

I can still feel the air when I walked through their place. I felt at home, and wish I could go back there now.

JP/deb said...

I'm glad you "spit out" your colleagues perception of you - because, it was absolutely inaccurate. In listening, you give your clients a voice. And the learning you experience is a beautiful bonus.

Peace & love, JP/deb

awareness said...

m2p...i didn't really know what is was going to write about when i took the photo tonight. i had intentions to write about books, but something happened in my head...and I began to reflect on my day of learning, and realized i hadn't cracked a book open all day.

judy...i'm with you.

Carmi....I took a bunch of photos of the same scene with different lighting. this one i like the best because of the depth. thank you for noticing.

deb...i most certainly did...it surprised me, though I don't know why. our approach to our work is very different. the learning I glean from it is most definately a wonderful bonus.

Nikita said...

I love to learn, it's just a pity I didn't realise it until I had no classes left to take. Although I'm back at college now I definitely agree that the best lessons are ones passed down by experience, or the ones experienced in person.
But I do love books.

Julie said...

Love the shot and the entry. So true

Anonymous said...

I've always believed that you learn so much more from others experiences. Your writing is captivating.

a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

gospel.

Michael K. Althouse said...

Hi Dana,

I couldn't agree more. I love books and "formal" education, but I gain so much more from experience - mine and others'. It adds texture, provides context and provides a more complete picture than any book or classroom ever could. Ironically enough, it would appear that I have stumbled upon, quite by accident, a methodology that includes both the human experience and the scholarly work done that underlies it and made it my primary course of post graduate study.

Life has a funny way of zigging and zagging just so, you know?

Mike

awareness said...

niki...sometimes thats exactly when the realization happens....like when you're in between books....arrrgh! I'm glad you're back in touch with school. you going to study french too??

julie...thank you and welcome.

tabby...thank you. you always leave me the nicest comments. i really appreciate your feedback.

irish lady...a creed to live by. :)

Mike,... me too. The theories and ideas from books intertwine beautifully with the work I have chosen as well. Couldn't live without one or the other.

me said...

Is there a cup of tea off to the left? That's the first thing that popped into my head; the photo makes you feel warm and cozy. Great prose. Made me stop and think

Nikita said...

:) I have tentatively picked up my french novels again, yes. x

awareness said...

hey me! A cup of tea is never too far from my grasp. I was weaned on the stuff. Got one on the go right now.

niki....i'm glad to know that, cause quite honestly I see it in your future. French literature, french translation etc...it's a brilliant career...one where you could work quite independently and at your own pace. just my thoughts x

much2ponder said...

You have been given an award, pop over to my place to see what it is:)

swilek said...

Oh Dana....what a "gift" you are giving your clients ( I just wrote a new post that will explain why I put "gift" in these "":) keep being compassionate...and yes "spit out" the negativity of colleagues (easier said than done I know-oh how I know) Never lose your care and concern for these clients you interact with daily. They need YOU and your empathetic, non- apathetic YOU! You must be exhausted at the end of your days. So many hurting people in this world...heartbreaking. I love your photo as well. I smell the musty scent of those books! Love it!

awareness said...

m2p...thank you for the award. :)

Karyne...I was more surprised with how I was being perceived than anything. I know this perception is felt by some who see me as this whirling dervish or something and quite frankly I dont give a rats ass about their opinion of what i do. I was surprised that this was the response from this particular person, but I dont intend to change my ways when it comes to my techniques and approach to counselling. This sounds a bit boastful, but I see how well it works. thanks for the concern. :)

Anonymous said...

The proof of being a good counsellor is when people feel free to share and trust you with their deepest sometimes darkest thoughts. Not everyone has that gift. It's a shame your colleague can't see that.


Life teaches us new lessons every day. One of my favourite sayings is:

Experience is the best teacher...only the school fees are heavy.


Life and the people in it enrich us with knowledge every day and help us navigate our journey with all that we learn along the way.