Thursday, January 08, 2009

please pass the passion


Is passion ever whimsical or is it always considered straight up serious? There's such a strength to passion, it makes me wonder if we somehow lose the fun in it. Hot flammable passion.....firey confessed fervent....there's no room for any questioning or humour in the middle of that now is there? It resonates blinding heat so intense one can't go near it, let alone doubt it. If someone uses the word to describe themselves or how they're feeling, we know EXACTLY how they are feeling. The problem is, the word is so overused, exagerated, manipulated, and tossed out in such random usage that it has become a joke onto itself. WE have cried wolf with passion too many times.....to a point where we don't feel the real meaning anymore.
"His passion, fed by the flames of desire consumed every fibre of his being and left him breathlessly intoxicated by the perfume lingering on the pillow...."
There, that was whimsical wasn't it?
The other day, I was listening to an interview with Karen Armstrong discussing her most recent book, The Bible, A Biography. She pointed out that the word believe was altered in its meaning somewhere in the 17th century. Before, it simply meant, "to hold dear," or "to desire." Whereas now, the word believe is tightly wrapped up in black and white faith in such a frighteningly absolute conviction that it sometimes feels a though it's been stripped of colour. Gee, there's not even any grey left in the vicinity.
It seems to me we added too much of this expressive passion to our definition of what believe means. We torched it! God help the person from going straight to hell if they don't express their convictions in some unquestionable impenetrable manner. One can't just desire or hold dear this passionate believing..... ya gotta embrace it 'til it turns purple or out the door you go!!
Oh, but before you leave, don't forget to put some money in the collection plate.
I like the idea that if I believe in something, I hold it dear....I don't strangle it with a bear hug. I gently rock it with love and wonder. I have a desire to be near it. I don't stalk it blindly.
I want my beliefs to develop as they help lead me, not cloak me into a corner and choke me with the simmering smoke from blinding unbridled passion. Don't get me wrong. Passion is a heat I want to be right in the middle of from time to time. Gotta love some passion. I just want it to have some fun. I want to hold it dear and rescue it from the flames of overused misuse. I want what I believe to be an unfolding everflowing companion on my journey....like a soul friend I can have some really passionate debates with.
How about you?

10 comments:

J Pearson said...

As many shades of colour, as there are people. Even on the artist's pallet, the mix is limited only by his imagination; yet how often we stick to the prime colours, for safety perhaps.
Go on! BELIEVE...

awareness said...

David....my pallet runneth over with colours....ready to paint the canvas with wonder. Your presence out there in blogland has most definately added colour to my faith. thank you.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes passion....there can never be too much of that my dear ;)

Nikita said...

I'll be honest Dana, I don't know what my beliefs are. I'm christened, sure, but am I christian? Can't I just be someone who believes in a guiding nudge every now and again? Perhaps I'm not sure what I believe because I'm lacking in knowledge of 'it' all..
Sorry, little train of thought there. x

awareness said...

Gypsy....oh, yes bring it on. :) Just don't dip it into the inkwell of "Believing" where it becomes so evangelically expected and competitive. I am so turned off by the usage of the term because of how judgemental it is of other's faith etc.

Niki....honey I'm with you...mine waxes and wanes daily, kind of like the moon. a nudge and a wink every now and then is what I want and along the way.....?? learning to feed me. Anyone who thinks they have it all figured out is just fooling themselves.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Passion covers so very many things, as does "belief" too....I "believe" in lots and lots of things...The power and passion of Music, for insttance....There is so much passion in so very many places, not neccesarily anything to do with being any religion or anything like it....! I believe in the power of "art"....and theatre....maybe that is my religion---Being moved in the deepesy way by a play or a song or a painting....or flowers....!
And there is whimsy in much of this, Thank The Lord....lol!

Nikita said...

:) exactly

awareness said...

Naomi....Bring on the whimsy!

Niki...you are beautiful.

swilek said...

AMEN! By the way, where did you get the Jesus bobble head...it is funny! Somehow I can picture a vendor selling these by the Sea of Galilee and somehow I think Jesus would laugh!

awareness said...

Karyne...The bobble head doll was my mother in law's. I think my bro in law bought it for her as a joke one Christmas. My son inherited it....of all of his grandparents belongings, this is what he wanted....oh and a lawn sign from one of his grandpa's political campaigns :)