Thursday, June 29, 2006

Uh Oh! I'm in Trouble Now...................


I had every intention of writing a political missive today; an overview on the PM's first few months in office. It'll have to wait ................. because today I rant about something completely different -- something that affects me personally.

It all started this morning when I tried to do that flippy thing with my hair. Usually, all I need to do after I've washed it is let it dry a bit, put a bit of stuff in it and then blow dry, while scrunching it up through my fingers. Eh Voila....... je suis pret une jour nouveau. This professional process, which normally takes all of 6 minutes because of a wonderful haircut, stalled this morning. Nothing seemed to work. Of course, the more I primped and prodded and tucked it behind my ears, the more moppy it looked. Nope, my funky hair that looks great with a funky pair of earrings, a bit of make-up and a dash of lipstick had de-funkified. I didn't feel like my zippy self. The day had come to contact Kellie, my hairstylist to see if she could squeeze me in like right away.

It's funny how a haircut can be fine one day, and then overnight POOF! It's too long. How does that happen?

So, as soon as I had completed my first appointment of the day, I made a call to the salon. Kellie answered (good omen, I'm thinking). I ask her if she is busy today. She (of course) says, yes she is..............I cross my fingers and ask about tomorrow and then all of a sudden............ she pauses and says................ "Today is my last day. I thought you knew. OMG! I forgot to call you to tell you the news. I'm so sorry"...................but all I hear is "blahdeeblahdeeblahdeeblah," cause I've gone into shock. She's moving to uhhhhhhhhh guess..........ALBERTA! Her hubbie is already there. He has started his new job...... first lucrative one in his career. She and the kids head out next week. Before I hung up, I did gather my wits and told her that I would stop in for a couple of minutes to say good-bye.

I got off the phone, wailed to my colleagues..............amazingly they completely understood my reaction and dilemma. One goes to great lengths to find a hairdresser who knows what they are doing, who listen to your requests and then gently modifies them to suit you more appealingly, whom you tell your stories to and they tell you theirs...........whom you can trust fully. After searching for what seemed like eons, I found Kellie over 10 years ago, and have followed her from one salon to another as she tried to find the place the suited her the most. Before Kellie, I was the victim of many sheer disasters. After finding Kellie, I've had a few mishaps but she was always open to fixing it up if I just gave her a call.

It's not like my hair is difficult. In fact, I have happy healthy hair. I just have a lot of it and it grows like a weed. I also change my hair interests often, from long past my shoulders (well it's been a while since that look) to short sticky-uppy. I had an upgraded Hamil cut, a straight blunt cut with bangs, and I have had lots of wavy perms. You don't mess around like that if you don't trust someone.................

But, it's more than just haircuts. Kellie and I became friends over the years. 4 babies between us, family emergencies, kiddie illnesses, unemployment traumas with her husband, guidance counselling for nephews..............yes our relationship evolved far beyond the hairwashing sink. A couple of years ago, when my daughter was only 10 but struggling with stomach ache anxieties drummed up due to a bunch of events happening at the same time AND too much thinking..... Kellie invited her in for a wee bit of pampering. For an hour one evening, Kellie gave my daughter her undivided attention, foiling her hair with a couple of lighter blonde streaks......nothing too showy, but fancy.......... and talked to her about peppermint and lavender and wonderful soothing aromas that could help her sleep at night.

Last year was my turn. I received a call from Kellie. Her family was in crisis. Her daughter was in the children's hospital with a severe infection from a botched up appendicitis operation and an obstructed bowel. She needed information and advocacy on my end. I dropped everything that I was doing and went looking for answers through the myriad of government red tape. It was the least I could do.

Yes, our relationship went from service provider and client to friends some time ago, which is why I have been travelling to the next town over to her salon when she moved there a couple of years ago. ......... which is why she is very comfortable asking me if I would meet with her nephew to talk training and trades...............which is why I called her to ask her to help me with my daughter.

At lunch, instead of getting a new cut...............I jaunted over to the store, picked up a big bouquet of pink lilies and headed over to say good-bye to a friend. She's off on a big adventure with her family. Don't know if she really wants to leave her roots behind, and her large extended family..............buy hey..............this working class family of New Brunswickers is following down the road like many others before and after them. It wasn't until we were saying good-bye that I was struck with all the many ties that we had developed. Isn't that often the case. You don't realize the depth of your feelings for someone until you are faced with something like this? Gee, there's a song in there somewhere..............oh yes.....................I hear it now.....

Cue...........Joni Mitchell....................."Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got til it's gone................................"

No comments: