Wednesday, May 28, 2008

every child.....every right......



Over the course of the school year, my son and his classmates worked on a collective enrichment project on Africa. They individually chose their own topic under such a diverse umbrella, but also took part in various activities arranged by their teacher.......a teacher who is one for the ages. He's a true shining example of someone who is living his calling, and his students AND the school thrive because he teaches and learns from the core of his heart.
Africa was "taken on" by a group of 10 year olds keen to learn and keen to dive into it with gusto. African drummers did a demo and had the children take part. A local woman named Miss Alice, originally from Zimbabwe and who recently graduated from the university in her 70's came in and taught them throat singing and told them many stories about her childhood. They were introduced to music, culture, sports and song........they learned about the flags, and the different currency. They learned of endangered species, of fossils and bones.....they learned of the desserts, the ruins, and the rituals.

They learned about the plight of children, about extreme poverty and as an aside decided to raise money for Unicef, which they did as part of the larger school in the fall (the school raised more money than any other school in Atlantic Canada) and then again as a class. Just as a class of 30 or so kids, they have raised $1000.00 in change in the last month alone. They are now trying to figure out what they want the money to go towards......bug nets, water, school supplies..........they can choose this. The Unicef representatives from the Region have also been involved in helping to guide them as well and have recognized their initiative.

Amazing.............they now ALL want to visit Africa.........to see, hear, touch, inhale it for themselves.

They learned independently, collectively and far beyond their neighbourhoods. Last month, they presented all of their projects at a special event for the parents and family which to say the least was a mind blower. Videos, powerpoint presentations, clay pots, jewelry, structures, a set of drums were present on a variety of topics....... animals, people, geography, housing, the economy, and music..............all were covered by this group of kids. It was very very impressive and very very moving.

The presentation event began with this video which was developed for Unicef as a promotional piece. I welcome you to follow this link and watch...........it's SO powerfully moving.............and only a couple of minutes long...........I will wait for your return......................xo


Last night, I attended my very last Home and School Meeting at Garden Creek School. My family and I have been involved as "Creekers" since Martha began Kindergarten 10 years ago, and over those years I have personally focused my volunteer time to this place as President of Home and School a handful of times and as the Coordinator of their Christmas Bazaar fundraiser often. I have met the best people, the most dedicated teachers and staff, an amazing group of parents........and have felt such an affinity to the place and to the atmosphere which is always warm and welcoming.........respectful and engaged. During the meeting, we got to watch the Unicef video again, and again, I was moved and stirred by my strong interest in the plight of children globally, and always come away from watching or reading or thinking about this with a strong desire to do more as citizen of the bigger world.

Tonight, after hearing a horrendous story on the National news coming from the Save the Children Foundation research study on rampant sexual abuse of children by UN Peacekeepers and even from staff of helping agencies taking place predominantly in the most wartorn countries in Africa, I was struck again by wanting to do more. here is a link to the story.......


It appears so daunting. So many children are living and suffering from preventable diseases, they are dying of AIDs, malnutrition, and neglect. They are caught in the crossfire of evil, of war, of natural disasters. They are the innocents being abuse by people whom they should be seeking solace and safety from? What is wrong with this world when millions of children do not live and thrive under the same rights and freedoms that our children have the opportunity to? Why should any child be different?

For anyone reading this post and want to comment on the questionable validity of the above mentioned study, don't waste your breath. I am fully cognizant of the fact that the study most likely won't be taken seriously because it doesn't meet the reliability and validity standards of research and consequently wont be taken seriously by anyone in a position to seek out these sick perpetrators and deliver justice while supporting the violated and wounded children. However, my feeling is that this study........and these stories are simply the tip of the iceberg, given that most people would be so full of shame that they would never admit to the atrocities they have experienced. Also, my feeling is that if ONE..........ONE child is violated, raped, sexually abused in any way, we should all take note, take action and fight for the rights of every one of our kids in need of our love and intervention.



My volunteer time is now over at Garden Creek School. I may join in on some committees etc during my children's middle school and high school years, but I doubt it will be anywhere near as satisfying or directly helpful to the day to day running of a school. So, now I'm thinking about my son and his class and their enthusiasm which has struck a chord in me again, and I'm left wondering how I can begin to dedicate myself to the cause of children worldwide. I'm wondering how I can really help.

One of the first things I did tonight was sign the Declaration of Human Rights. YOU can do this too! I recognize that it's symbolic, but can see the importance of doing so. Given that it is the 60th anniversary since it was originally penned, the group called the Elders, whom I wrote about last year when they were formed by the intiatives of Peter Gabriel and Richard Branson, took this as one small initiative as a way to engage ordinary citizens in the awareness as well as the ownership of promoting and protecting human rights. Here is the link to the Elder site (I applaud them.........!! I want to meet them all!!) On it, you will find a link to where you can sign the Declaration as well as learn about this international leadership foundation. It also includes a video of the Elders speaking on the Declaration and pertinent information on how we as individuals citizens can help.....................can get involved.


Every child has the right to be loved and cared for. It is our collective and individual responsibility to work towards this goal. If we don't who will?




My son's class last year in Grade 4 during their first real foray into fundraising for Unicef, shown here with the Unicef reps. They're veterans now............and look so much older than they do here. Amazing how much they have all grown up in a year! Love them all, those scruffy ragamuffins!

7 comments:

Karen said...

That certainly was a very moving and touching UNICEF video and definitely made me stop and think.

How wonderful that your son and his class have taken this project to their hearts. To have raised so much money for this wonderful organisation that helps those a lot less fortunate is something to be very proud of. We are all very lucky to have warm beds to sleep in, 3 square meals every day, all the medicine we need and the good nutrition required for a healthy, happy life.

Open Grove Claudia said...

Boy, you know the UN Peacekeeper thing has been going on at least since Bosnia - amazing! Child prostitution follows the peacekeepers around and no one knows why. Very sad.

What's awful to me is that in my country - there are starving children. A lot of starving children. I want to start at home first, New Orleans, our poor wounded warriors, then look to Africa. But I think it's a lot easier to see it somewhere else.

I'm always reminded of Louise Hay's assertion - it's not a lack of food but a lack of love.

awareness said...

Gypsy.....it was all good good learning......and I believe their awareness will only increase as they grow up. The school as a whole (about 350 kids) raised over 7000 dollars last fall for Unicef and then this class took it on again collecting change.....another 1 grand.

Yes, we do have to remember the fact that we do have all of those things you mention.....so many don't.

Claudia. The story didn't indicate child prostitution. Yes, there was exploitation, but they were indicating that children are being violated and raped. Both are horrendous, and more or less are tied together. I listened to them interviewing some of the children who had observed and experienced the atrocities on the national radio news.......it was a sickening story.

I agree with you.....there are many, many suffering much closer to home too and it's all so senseless because it should NEVER be. New Orleans is a disgrace. I can't believe how forgotten it has become.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

One hopes that whoever these perpetrators are, that they are NOT part of UNICEF...That wasn't exactly clear ro me...And WHY this would not be taken seriously...I do not understand, at all! Even if there are just rumors about things like this---Where CHILDREN Are Concerned---These things must be looked into and if this problem exists, it must be corrected, quickly.

I always think of Audrey Hepburn, who as I'm sure you know was a spokesperson for UNICEF for many years. And the reason she wanted to do that and threw herself into it with her whole heart and soul was because UNICEF helped her after World War 2, and she always felt that her true survival was due to UNICEF's intervention and their bassic and essential help for her, and by doing that, UNICEF was reponsible for securing a future life for her.

How incredibly impressive that your son and his class had the opportunity to learn about ALL this at such a young age. The future of our world is in their hands.....And this is Awesome.

That Video is really fantastic!

Unknown said...

i have wanted to comment on this but i'm kind of lost for words - hell of a blog! hell of a blog dana!

awareness said...

naomi....interestingly my daughter Martha and I were talking about Audrey Hepburn last night (she did a monologue audition from Breakfast at Tiffany's last year for theatre school and has since been fascinated by her) She had to do a powerpoint project for class and decided to do it on Hepburn, so she learned about her life.....was deeply moved by her life and struggles. She was both beautiful inside and out wasn't she?

I do hope something is done.....alas, i am a skeptic on this one.

Paul.....thank you...it was a difficult post to pull together because of the emotions and inertia i am feeling over the topic. i would like to do more personally than simply sign a declaration online.....and need to find a way to do so. a friend who works at the market on Saturdays (sells thai food she makes from scratch...mmmmmm) she and I have talked about this and doing work in third world countries. She has connections with the UN and plans to return to Thailand when she graduates (she's a perpetual student though!!) and has suggested that i look into even a short stint. the seeds are planted in me......we'll see where they lead.

Rainbow dreams said...

sorry I haven't posted after I said I would...
lots of thoughts ...
this was and still is my dream...
I know I have to do something, I will...it's hard waiting and wanting and trying to find the right avenue to go down...