Sunday, May 25, 2008

Canada, eh?

Gateway to the Green from Buckingham Palace to Picadilly



I was standing in line in the WH Smith store in the Gatwick Airport with a bunch of last minute goodies in my hand when the fire alarm went off and an announcement over the public address system told all of us to vacate the area. It was kind of scary, but I did as I was told and followed the other lemming touristas down a hall to what I thought would be an exit. Instead, it was a long walk to another part of the terminal with no airport employee to meet us or to direct us or to tell us what was going on.
Along the way, I ended up talking with a young woman East End of London who was heading to St. Lucia. We chatted about how disorganized things seemed and whether or not we would be forced outside and whether or not our flights would be late in taking off. Before we were told, we turned around to head back to the area from whence we had begun this journey of hallways and tunnels (with 500 other folks..........we werent the only ones not attending to the one announcement we had all followed). On our way back, we shared a bit about our trips............mine to return to Canada and she to visit friends and relatives.


Then she asked the question............... "What's Canada like?"

I am not someone who spends much time whining about the fact that most of our neighbours south of the border have no real clear picture of who we are and what this vast and magnificent country is all about like so many Canucks. This is a pasttime for some.............a way of trying to figure out our identity by pointing out the differences. I've travelled enough in the United States particularly to have had my share of bizarre conversations with people, some of whom live within a baseball throw of the shared border. Not a lick of knowledge.......... and as much as i find that strange, especially from people who live near the border, I certainly don't lose sleep over it.


Outside Canada house, beside Trafalgar Square


I'm cognizant of the lack of information provided through news and in schools etc about this country. On the grand scale of global things, our role is minor. Yes, we may be a member of the G8, and unless something changed today, we are active members of the British Commonwealth. But, we arent ever going to be a big player........... we aren't going to be the ones picking the music at the dance. Ah, but we will be there to dance!

I didn't expect this in England though. I don't know why, but I guess I kind of thought there would be some awareness and knowledge of my home and native land. Given the historical links, the same parlimentary system, basically the same social welfare system, our penchant for the same kind of humour..........the fact that the Rolling Stones played a pivotal role in our political history by partying in the 70's with Trudeau's crazy hippy dippy wife..........given that Old Bessie's profile is on our currency..........that we probably love dogs just as much......... I guess I thought I wouldn't be asked the broad questions.

Travelling I have found offers me a chance to re-visit my own interpretation of what it is to be a Canadian and of what Canada is all about. Though there is usually some goofy article in the newspaper on a pretty regular basis harping on this very thing, I personally don't spend much time navel gazing on our identity until I am standing somewhere outside of the border. And it is then that I have such a strong surge go through me when I realize just how damn lucky I am. As much as I would LOVE to spend time living in Notting Hill (fell in LOVE with the area). As much as I know I would LOVE to live in many places around the world, I can't ever imagine calling any place but this country home. This feeling is always strengthened when I have a chance to be someplace besides here. Maybe everyone feels that way when they have had an opportunity to leave their familiar borders.

I loved my week retreat...................my week of seeking and being on my own in the UK. I felt comfortable, connected and happily ensconced in the welcome arms of my bloggie friends......so much so that it felt like we've known each other forever. Though there are many differences between the UK and Canada, there are enough similarities to give a wayward Canuck the confidence to explore on her own, and to seek out the differences. I guess I assumed that this was a known thing........... it certainly didn't bother me, but it did fascinate me.

What's Canada like?



How does one answer that without spewing forth some psychological/political/philosophical thesis?
ummmmmm..................



We like hockey? Though some don't believe it or not.....

There are a lot of lakes?

Anne of Green Gables is only a fictional character but would probably do well if she ran for Prime Minister, but she'd never ever beat our classy sassy Don Cherry?

We export Divas and Comedians? For the record (mine anyways, you can keep Celine)

The majority of us own toques..............and know what they are used for?

Atlantic, Pacific, Arctic...............Rockies, Great Lakes, and lots and lots of trees?

Beavers, Moose, Deer, Loons and Geese............most of which share our currency with the Queen.

We are into a thing called a musical ride........just ask any Mountie.....


Our greatest hero was a young man who tried to run across the country on one leg and a prosthesis?

Where does one begin? It was a wee bit daunting really to be asked this by that young woman in the airport, but I think I managed to sum it up as best as I could................

What's Canada like?

"It's vast and magnificent," I replied................"and it's home."



5 comments:

Under there... said...

You also have the oldest rocks! The most ancient rocks in North America , 3.9 billion yars old, are only exposed at the surface in...Canada! How awesome is that? Those of us who are passionate about geology have rock envy when it comes to Canada.

Bar L. said...

I am so glad you are back but mostly that you had a wonderful experience!

I can't answer what Canada is like but I can say what most Canadians I know are like:

Warm, welcoming, funny, lively, interesting, proud to be Canadian.

awareness said...

tim.....there are LOTS of rocks for you to peruse anytime you would like!
Yes, we have rocks and socks and clocks.....frocks and stocks and stocks of rocks.
We also have Anne Shirley living near Shining Waters. She once said that "ameythysts are made from the souls of good violets.." We have lots of both here too. So, for a geology passionate guy married to a fan of Anne Shirley, this place is HEAVEN on earth. :)

Layla....thank you! There is a good sense of pride here, and are learning to shed our hesitations in order to express it more openly.
also, our biggest export is comedians. I find our collective sense of humour is a blend between the UK and the USA.....dry wit like Jon Stewart. In fact that type of political comedy which is also popular in the UK has been around these parts for a long time, both on TV and on our radio stations.

Open Grove Claudia said...

I like that - vast and magnificent. I worked with a woman from Valencia, Spain. She started to tour the US and was stunned by how big it was. She couldn't get over just the size, and how different each place was.

I think Canada has bit of the same. We characterize it as one place, one people, but truly it's vast, magnificent and undefinable. The very fact that Canada holds together as a country defies a kind of logic. (My grandfather said it would never survive as a country.)

Maybe you can show the rest of the world how to get along with people so different from you?

Karen said...

I lot of people don't know diddly squat about Australia either Dana and do actually believe there are kangaroos hopping down the main streets of our cities. I'm not kidding. Some of the things I have heard people ask defy description. Believe it or not we are actually quite civilised now although I think some people still believe we are a bunch of savage felons from the Mother country scratching out a living in this harsh brown land. Hilarious!

What I know about Canadians is that they are a warm and friendly people with a laconic sense of humour and a great sense of pride in where they come from.