Friday, October 06, 2006

Warm and Delicious






I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't enjoy a cup of tea.

In fact, if you were to pop into my office, or walk into my home........if you were to find me hopping into the car for a drive longer than to the grocery store, you would see that my left hand would be sporting a mug of tea. On the sidelines watching my son or daughter play ball...........tea. At a meeting discussing whatever one discusses at meetings that are so important..........sipping tea. Blogging? Yeah, it's here in front of me half consumed already.

Write a sentence, take a sip. Write a sentence, take a sip. Feel the warmth. Feel the comfort. I am definately more in tune when tea is close by.





It was my Mabel, my grandmother who weaned me on the stuff. She always made sure that when I was visiting or staying overnight when I was little that my tiny china cup was filled with the sugary warmth of a good cup of tea just like hers. Whenever she would visit my house when I was growing up, which was very regularly the first thing she would ask my mom............"Andrea, can make me a cup of tea please." It's like she couldn't fully relax until a strong cup of orange pekoe was placed beside her. It's funny how often I think of her when I put the kettle on and smile knowing that I too can't relax until a strong cup of orange pekoe is placed right beside me.

It's a calm settling thing for sure. Pavlovian too, because I always feel more focused and grounded if I have a cup of tea on the go. I'm just conditioned that way.



Years ago when I was backpacking through Europe, I had the toughest time finding a cup of tea that met my standards. In France for example, tea was always served clear with a slice of lemon on the side despite my feeble attempts at trying to explain what exactly I wanted. In Turkey, tea is called chai, and chai is basically any warm beverage. I recall being asked if I wanted a cup of chai and envisioning (salivating actually) for a warm cup of honest to goodness tea, I eagerly replied affirmatively...........and was served this tiny shot glass of warm Tang. Even when I visit the United States, a good cup of tea is hard to find or make. We may have the same namebrands, but the difference in taste is like night and day. Yes, if I ever move to the States, I'd have to arrange for someone to send me teabags from Canada.

Yes, I crave it....................the taste of it and the reflective feeling it produces in me.

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I was only too aware of the so called affects of caffeine and the other million rules that one has to abide by. I was also aware of my whole body nausea during my first trimester. I felt so rotten for three months that even the thought of a cup of tea would send my system churning. I remember one day in particular. I had just arrived home from working all day feeling just plain awful. But I had one thought............if I could just make a cup of tea, I'll feel better. No sooner had I added the milk to my steeped friend when I looked at the concoction I had made thousands of times before and started to spin into a dizzy faint. Luckily I made it to the couch where I sat in a stupor shocked that a cup of tea of all things could make me feel worse than I did. Luckily that passed along with the first trimester yuks.

Months later..................after 23 hours in labour..........after 9 months of wondering and ruminating over the health of my baby..............my daughter was born. And as she was placed lovingly into my arms, as my husband and I basked in the joy of the miracle of birth, I asked the nurse for a cup of tea.........please................................Honest to God, the memory of that particular cup of tea is etched deeply. Funny, my daughter has turned out to love the stuff too. Must be in the British/Scottish/Irish genes.

I have a china cabinet that houses a few of Mabel's teacups and a cupboard that contains several teapots, but I prefer to make my tea in a mug. It's a control thing, I think..............one that comes from being particular to the strength and temperature of it. It's also more convenient. I find that most people don't know how to prepare the teapot so that the tea is hot and steeped properly when it's poured. I'd rather just make myself a fresh mug of tea..........no fancy herbally perfumey stuff either..................so that I can make it just right.

So, if you happen to see me after a long harried day, looking stressed and worn out assume that I'm parched and in need of a good cup of rescuing orange pekoe tea and please put the kettle on. I promise it will take the wilt right out of me.

"Better to be deprived of food for three days, than tea for one."
Ancient Chinese proverb





2 comments:

Sunny said...

My best friend Sara from childhood used to invite me over to her house and we'd have a cup of tea. It was the first tea I'd ever drank. I didn't really like it much but what I did like was the sitting at the table laughing, the smell and the warmth of the ritual. In high school she spend a year in Germany and brought different teas back with her. We had real sugar lumps from Germany and it was wonderful. Later she travelled to China and lived there for 2 years. When she came back she brought various types of tea with her, a chinese tea set and sugar cubes. Again, it was wonderful....so much culture! She and I talked about her adventures and what had been going on since she left...it was comforting to have her and her tea (although still not liking tea any more than I did a few years before) back again.
Now I have a great friend named Carrie who had introduced me to tea again. We sometimes go to a nice little tea shop by our work...you probably know which one I mean...and have a nice cup of tea and play a game of Mastermind. It's so nice to have someone to relax with again. Maybe you and I should take a jaunt over sometime...they have scabble too you know....

Ellen said...

Big tea-lover here, too. It's my favorite drink next to milk. Of course being in southern states, tea is a mainstay in your refrigerator... and it has to be icky sweet. I've modified it in our house, as hubby doesn't care too much for the sugar. But it has to be brewed, not made from the can or jar. That's not tea... that's just powdered drink. When we do go out for dinner, we only order tea... and it is automatically iced, as you have to order it as hot if you want it hot. That was a big change for me as in the northern states it's just the opposite.

Personally I prefer warmed green tea, and drink that by the gallon. I hardly ever leave the house without my trusty traveling mug filled with green tea. I also bring a bottled water with me, so that I can refill when I run out. I don't mind room temp tea or water.

Years ago, coffee was my drink, until the doctors office advised me against the caffeine (it caused lumps), so I switched to green tea immediately, and no lumps..... Imagine that!

I have various flavors in my cupboard... but not any of the fruity perfumey flavors, as I like the bitter ones instead. My favorites: chamomile, green and orange pekoe. They are good for the heart and soul!

One of my first posts back in Oct 2005 was about being a tea drinker... makes me glad to see that there are others who share the same feeling about this wonderful drink.