Wednesday, October 11, 2006

One Flickering Light




Candles have a way of warming up the ambience of a room. Just a couple of flickering candles glowing on a mantlepiece make a room feel so much more inviting. Though I sometimes light them in the summer on the back deck, my real urge to light candles doesn't seem to appear until the fall. Maybe because it starts getting darker earlier. Maybe it's because it's colder outside at night and somehow they make a difference.

Amazing too that only one simple flickering light can make a difference.

At the camp I worked at as a camp counsellor when I was young, there was a tradition that was followed every "last night" of camp. After the big banquet dinner, all the camper groups and their counsellors would congregate on the beach to share a letter that each group had written while sitting surrounding a blazing campfire. As we arrived, we were given an unlit plain white candle with a piece of tinfoil wrapped around the bottom of it. We would circle the beach area with the little ones sitting up front and the older campers closing in behind them. Then, one group after another would have a chance to read their letter to all.

The letters varied............humourous, lyrical, serious, but always heartfelt and hopeful..........kids describing the special times that they had shared living together away from home, away from family. In between the readings, the whole camp would sing familiar campfire songs for the last time. And as we shared our stories and many laughs, the blazing fire would begin to die down. The sun would begin to disappear. The evening became solemn.

Once the letters were finished being read, Skip the Camp Director would collect them all. He'd then roll them up in a tube and place them in a plastic container to be buried, only to be dug up the following year to be read aloud during the first night of camp. By the time this ritual was completed, all that would be left of the campfire would be silent embers.....enough though to light a candle.


Skip would then take his candle, bend down to the embers while talking about how one little light can make the whole difference. He would light his candle, and then turn to his wife "Nish" to help light hers. From there, they would pass their light onto the counsellors. The counsellors would turn to light their campers candles. Before you knew it, the cold darkness was gone.

If I close my eyes right now and picture the scene from my memory.......I see glowing faces of the kids quietly watching their own candle flicker from the breeze, in awe of being a part of such a simple yet powerful lesson on sharing. And in the background, the older kids would quietly start singing one more song as they huddled together, holding their candlelight, feeling the warmth of many summers of friendship.
The song ends as soft humming continues. Each group files past the firepit to throw their candle onto the embers. Quietly campers and counsellors head back to their tents for a last night together...............a quick turning glance at the glowing resurrected flames.



One flickering light shared.

Flickering hope

Flickering happiness

Flickering goodness.

One flickering light spreads companionship.

The warmth of the candle needs to be shared.

3 comments:

Sunny said...

Wow! This was such a nice and heartfelt post. I could close my eyes and picture the event taking place but when I picture it I see kids in white choir robes and singing how they'd like to buy the world a Coke! Funny how something can stick for so long in a memory.

One flame can make a difference. Today I think I may have found my calling. I never considered myself a helper but it turns out I am good at it. Maybe I can be that candle in the window for someone and get them safely to their destination. I would like to do more of that.

awareness said...

HI sunny......on this blustery fall day........
I'm glad you have seen your "light" and realize that you are very good at working with the individuals that come into your centre. I have seen that candle of your in the window on many occasions!
Nothing is more satisfying that helping someone find their way.

I'll drop by sometime today.

Bar L. said...

Beautifully written and photographed as always.