Monday, October 02, 2006

Revisting Destiny.


Last February, I wrote a piece on Rollo May's theory on the concepts of freedom and destiny. In it, I tried to put his theory in my own words as an exercise in understanding how much control I have over my own destiny. At first glance, it appears that May is expounding on solely a religious based belief that our whole lives are predetermined; that we have little say in how our lives unfold. After further contemplating and perambulating, I came to the conclusion that there are events that we truly have no control over. However, we make choices as to how we react or handle them. We also create events in our lives by the choices we make.

Here is the link to my original piece. I welcome you to read it.

There's a reason why I returned to this piece today. I was hoping that it would help me to redirect my thinking by transforming my negative inertia I feel in my situation at work into something more aspiring. I think it may be working.................

Today, I was moved to another building and another office. Normally, I am one who loves starting something new. Change in my careerpath is usually a welcome friend, as is variety in my daily work related tasks. That's why I thrive in a counselling/facilitating environment. Every person I encounter is different. Every workshop I deliver is different. Always challenging, and always full of surprises and blips. The nuances associated with interactions and change and motion cognitively feed me. The key for me to being receptive to change and all that entails is having some control over it.

Control. Not the arm wrestling, head butting, foot stomping kind of control. Not the "rule the world" control. By control, I mean that I would like to have a discussion about the change so that I am aware that I am being respected...........that my ideas, thoughts and opinions matter in the change picture. I want a say in my destiny. Since that has not been the case over the past couple of months even though I made several attempts to seek clarification, to suggest options, to try to describe my present workload so that it either stays with me or is redistributed, I have not been able to get my head around the change. As I began to unpack my files, binders and photos, I continued to feel sorry for myself. No one that I am now sharing a hallway with even came by to say hello.....to welcome me. Given that I'm used to being on a team of women all of whom I could call if and when I ever needed them at anytime, on any day.......... this was disconcerting to say the least.

Tonight, I returned to Rollo May ............. and tomorrow, I take control over how things unfold with this new team I have found myself on. I have two choices. I can hunker in my office waiting for someone else to make the first move, or I can arrive tomorrow without the chip on my shoulder and with an accessible smiling openness, ready to compromise and ready to offer my ideas with my normal aplomb. I can confront the whistling whipping winds of conflict and change, with the strength of my faith and the belief in myself. I have the materials I need to create a destiny that is fulfilling and life affirming.


I'll let you know if it works out...........................


9 comments:

X said...

I'm a huge believer that life is what you make of it...and what situations you find yuorself in may be fate or something similar...but how you react in them shapes you and makes you the person you are.

Good luck with the new team! You'll be great! :)

Bar L. said...

Let us know how it went! I have a feeling you will do just fine.

awareness said...

Thank you Left and Bar.

I woke this morning with a new attitude. If it's up to me.....well, then it's up to me. My reactions and receptivity will be very different today. They won't know what hit them :0)
Cheers.

Sunny said...

I am certain that you will prevail. They can't help but accept you into their fold. Don't they see who they were lucky enough to get? Are they all stunned over there? Eventually they will come around and your proactive reaction will allow that to happen alot faster. We are still over here missing you but you are only across the street and really not so far away.

awareness said...

Thanks Sunny

Given the news today of the new government appointments, who knows what will transpire!!! I love intrigue!

This morning has been a whole lot better. My office gets the morning sun, so I have moved right into the path of it and enjoyed the beams while I worked away writing reports. Mind you I had to keep my sunglasses on.....but hey, that just adds to my perceived alien-ness anyways.

Also, a couple of people have poked their heads in AND I got the secret code to unlock the door of the office building. I"m a frigging somebody now!! if only they would re-hook up my phone then I 'll have it made.

Ah........destiny!!!! What will transpire? Where will my cute self end up sitting?? Only the Shadows know.

Neo said...

AW - Life is easy, it's death that sucks. Hang in there slugger.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

awareness said...

Thanks Neo. Welcome to my blogatorium. As I do a quick run through on the day.....well it wasn't half bad. And tomorrow?

Fresh with no mistakes.

Ellen said...

First days usually seem unfriendly and disasterous if your co-workers can't even acknowledge your existance. It kind of makes me wonder what sort of info they were given about you before you assumed your position.
Not to worry though, they'll come to realize that you are a wealth of talent, and life will fall into place soon enough.

awareness said...

Thanks Ellen.

I think they were told I was an alien. Actually, there has always been an "us and them" mentality between divisions of this department because we were "merged" together during the previous government. Moving me over is supposed to help "connect" the two entities.......community services and housing. Unfortunately, the managers dropped the ball and didn't set it up properly. It's just going to take a little longer than it should............oh and some homemade banana bread!! :)