Monday, September 22, 2008

my favourite time of year....


Sit by my side, come as close as the air,
Share in a memory of grey;
Wander in my words, dream about the pictures
That I play of changes.

Green leaves of summer turn red in the fall
To brown and to yellow they fade.
And then they have to die, trapped within
The circle time parade of changes.



Scenes of my young years were warm in my mind,
Visions of shadows that shine.
Til one day I returned and found they were the
Victims of the vines of changes.


The world's spinning madly, it drifts in the dark
Swings through a hollow of haze,
A race around the stars, a journey through
The universe ablaze with changes.


Moments of magic will glow in the night
All fears of the forest are gone
But when the morning breaks they're swept away by
Golden drops of dawn, of changes.



Passions will part to a strange melody.
As fires will sometimes burn cold.
Like petals in the wind, we're puppets to the silver
Strings of souls, of changes.


Your tears will be trembling, now we're somewhere else,
One last cup of wine we will pour
And i'll kiss you one more time, and leave you on
The rolling river shores of changes.


Phil Oches.



I love this song......it never really ever leaves my music memory. It always reminds me of a special friend. Maybe I will get him to sing it when I see him next.
Autumn is here, bringing with it cozy cabin merlot thoughts and knitted wool warmth, welcoming woodstove fires and fleece worn walks to take in the amazing beauty of the season. It is the time for reflection, and connections with others. It's time for hunting season too. Hide MOOSE, hide! Sister Sarah has cocked her rifle!



Happy autumn splendor. May you kick a leaf or two..........

11 comments:

Shaz said...

Hey sweetness 4 more days and Its all happening posted my song for you. I know youll appreciate the words xxx

Anonymous said...

remind me one day to tell you the story of the night i bumped into a moose....

JP/deb said...

Happy autumn splendor to you too! I love this time of year too ... something organic & transformative about it all ... peace & love, JP/deb

awareness said...

Shaz....will check out your song! Hope its a hip grinder one. No doubt it is. I'm so excited for you. AFter all the trauma and turmoil....this celebration is one for the ages.

Paul. You have Moose on Guernsey? Holy! What good swimmers they are ;) I hope to God it was a polite Moose who bumped into you(they are the ones from Canada don't you know) and the little bugger said "excuse me" afterwards. Would love to hear the story. I think I sent you my Moose is Loose story a while back to share with your little boy? I wrote it for mine when he was convinced that Moose could somehow enter our home in the middle of the night.
Wolves and moose? What kind of aftershave do you wear?

Deb....yes, the earthy muskieness of it all is definately alluring. lol... Happy autumn Deb.

Bar L. said...

Happy Fall to you too! I also love this time of year (till it gets close to Christmas).

LOL at the Sarah remark :)

BreadBox said...

That's a song I hadn't heard before:
thanks *so* much for introducing me to it --- here's a link to Phil Oches singing it....

Under there... said...

My favorite time of the year also!! Happy Autumn---may yours be saturated with color and tranquility.

awareness said...

layla....you would be blown away by the colour of the trees and bushes at this time of year. photos really don't do them justice....have you ever been east to see the fall colours?

N.....you truly are Nice. Thanks! Yes, it's an old folky song sung at camp when i was a counsellor.....one of my favs. But it was only recently that i learned all the lyrics. And in fact a colleague who has since retired surprised me at a work coffee get together by seranding me one day. I had told him of the song and the fact that i had found all the words....he went home and learned the chords and sang it to me. I was a MESS! A smiley mess, but one nonetheless. Good thing tears are an acceptable commodity in my place of work! lol.

awareness said...

Tim....Would love to see your talented uncle come up here and take some of his gorgeous photos! The peak of the colours will be in a couple of weeks and will get out myself then and click away happily.

Sherry said...

I spent a few years living in the North Georgia mountains, surrounded by wooded acres, old trails, and every Autumn/Fall, covered up with leaves. I loved it all - the crisp air & colors, and how I felt revitalized. I miss it (even the wood stove!).

I've been listening to Phil Ochs on YouTube the past two days. I knew a little about him, but am more familiar with other folk singers of that era. Went back & read his bio, also.

Your writings always seem to jar my memory about past places, authors, poets & songs.

Oh, about the moose. I lived a year & a half in Newfoundland as a child, so I've been on the side of the moose, for a long time. (Yes, watch out, moose, for Sarah Palin).

BreadBox said...

Just wanted to let you know that I just got my copy of Phil Oches' album "There but for fortune", and I've been listening to Changes, reading the lyrics here, and singing along...
Thanks once again for introducing me to this song.....
N.