Sunday, September 14, 2008

Bowing down to the Blues

Wild shades of the blues descended in brassy trombone style and intermingled with the smooth essence of fragrant jazz on Fredericton this week turning our historical downtown into a festival of sound. Thousands of locals and "from aways" took it all in...............all ages with different interests and personal favourites.
There was a lively spirit in the air, the full moon peaked through the night clouds and hovered over the river and the big tents which were filled with a celebratory feel good groove. 12 or so different venues, with a different flavours and street musicians on corners and store stoops ranging from young talented guitar players to our fun loving preacher/Elvis impersonator...............there was something for everyone and it all blended into the night sky.
We found ourselves near the front as 4 trombones, 1 tuba, drums and a bass guitar ripped open the roof with a blast that resonated right through every audience member..........the sound was so loud, the tempo so bold that all you could do is go with it............let it hit your temples, let it pulse your heart and feel it as the kind of emotion only music can lend itself to.
The Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival (click on the name to see the headliners) comes to a close today with a free concert in Officer's Square.............like the past 4 days, it will be packed with people who once a year bow down to the blues. Then they lift their arms into the air in celebration that out of the blues comes a wide appreciation and respect for a genre of music which pierces through the facade and sends life affirming light through the cracks of the forgotten, downtrodden, misbegotten lot of us. The blues represent the glory of renew.
A few photos from last night's festivities........................two of the bands we took in.........Bonerama from (re)New Orleans, and The Tom Fun Orchestra from Cape Breton.........









Jazz and Blues may not get the airplay or the respect it deserves...............it most certaintly did this week in Fredericton. Thank you to all the organizers and volunteers. What a great enthusiastic community I live in! LOVEITLOVEIT. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I attended the festival Friday evening and Saturday. Due to reasons beyond my control, I could not circulate around as much as I did in previous years to maximized the viewing as many acts as possible but I will comment my personal observations on a few.

Regarding Bonerama, who you seem to enjoy, I just found that they were just a way too loud raucous tuneless mess of an act. I toughed it out watching them for a while twice but could not enjoy them. Anybody within 50 feet of the stage would suffer lasting ear damage, I kid you not. I wore ear plugs anytime the volume was in the painful level which was often, not just Bonerama though they must have been the loudest. It was as enjoyable as standing next to a foghorn.

Regarding Ana Povic. Well she was as hot as the brochure promised, reminded me of actress Kate Hudson in looks. Hot blondes sweating over a guitar will always arouse my interest. However her act was ruined by an overly loud overpowering bass guitar played by a show boating sweaty maniac. I left half way through her set.

One of the most enjoyable pleasant shows was Old Man Luedeck, a blue-grassy act, tuneful, original, a fine voice and humorous chats. He really connected well with the crowd. No ear pain there.

I regretted I saw only a few moments of Treasa Levasseur, I got the impression I missed something really enjoyable.

awareness said...

Hey Canuckguy.....good to see you again. No doubt they were loud and I was up at the front. I found the music very different and raucus, yes, but it seemed to me there was a harmony in their chaos. We moved on after 5 or 6 songs and caught the Tom Fun Orchestra which was GREAT. The lead singer had a gravelly Waits feel to it, and it was such an interesting combination of old and new sounds......traditional Caper sound meshed with electricity.

I had hoped to see Grace Potter. She was my first choice but we didn't get around to get tickets and she sold out. So, we ended up with a bracelet pass to three venues, including Eric Bibb. Well, we didn't realize he was playing earlier than other headliners......and missed his ACT! I was really disappointed....in that.

Ana Popovic? Beautiful woman....yes she was. I was up front for her first rifts.....and bolted after two songs. It was WAY too loud as you said and you're right the bass completely took over to a point where I thought the pounding I was feeling inside me was going to make me throw up! It was AWFUL! We left too and headed over to see Apostle of Hustle.

Love the atmosphere of it all and really missed working downtown this fall to take in the daytime festivities as I used to.

Karen said...

This looks like a blast and I'm thrilled that you had a good time. Great pics too Dana. Thanks for sharing the fun.

Anonymous said...

I love Bonerama too. And standing next to a foghorn has never made me dance the way that 7 man brass funk band does and will.

I'm glad you had a great time, I hope they come to my area soon.