Thursday, August 02, 2007

pebbles in our pockets....

At the edge, watching the tide inch away
Do you see the heart shaped pebble?
Remember when you went to the beach when you were little? If you had pockets of your own, you would stuff them with little bits of treasures found in between the larger rocks and driftwood. If not, you passed them onto your Mom or Dad for safe keeping.

A smoothly rounded piece of blue or green glass, a tiny shell, a piece of dried kelp.......a pebble with your favourite colour streaked right through it. Flotsam scraps of colourful rope or twine always catches the eye as does a dried up baby crab bleached by the sun. Driftwood shaped like a slingshot or a fish .... the knothole looked like an eye. Tiny flowers which grew between the tall grass and the shore.....yellows and purples of late summer were there for the picking.


The perfect skipping stone....round and flat which fits perfectly between your thumb and forefinger.


Remember when you were at the beach when you were little? It didn't matter how cold the water was or whether or not your were wearing your bathing suit, you ended up getting soaking wet being chased by the waves. And the birds would skitter along with you. Seagulls flying up above circling while looking for tasty fish.

Remember taking a handfull of pebbles and throwing them into the water.....plink, plink, plinkplinkplinkplinkplink all at once....sounding like the hanging chime at home when the wind conducted it's symphony......plinkplinkplink........


And as the tide receded.......more treasures would be revealed, new sandbars would emerge and the adventure would expand.......into the sun warmed pools left behind along with creatures...oh, the creatures....jellyfish, hermit crabs and tiny little fish trying to find their way.

The pails are packed for the annual sand castle competition for kids of all ages, as are the bocci balls for the tourney on the sandbars. Oh, and a new kite!! Prince Edward Island here we come. It'll be good to be a kid again.


I'll be back next week................take care.


ps. I submitted a few pieces of writing for consideration (CanadaEast website I mentioned last week). I couldn't decide on just one, so as I have been known to do, I bent the rules a bit. Tay? I did send them the piece I wrote on Sabahat. Thank you for reminding me. And if anyone would like to read it, here is the link. Sabahat was a true guardian angel in my life.


12 comments:

Dustin said...

Dana,

Enjoy the trip. God bless.

BreadBox said...

That piece on Sabahat (and the preceding one at the bus terminus) was amazing. I hope that CanadaEast is serious enough to recognise your writing's worth!
N.

Shaz said...

You just warmed me up inside this took me back to holidays with both my parents at the beach, what a gift.
Thankyou sweetness and see you on your return xx

kenju said...

What you wrote about was ME at the beach now (I never went to the beach until I was 16). Whenever I walk on the beach, I take a pail or bag with me for rocks, shells and bits of glass. The sharp ones I pick up and throw away! The rest I keep.

I'll go and read your submissions later in the day. Have a good trip!

The Original Princess said...

I can't wait to hear the response from Canadaeast.

I love, love, love the pieces you wrote about Sabahat and your time in Europe!

Have a great time in PEI.

Queen Mel said...

I am so pleased you chose that one, who wouldn't be swept away with that post, I read it at least 3 times. Your experiences you came home with are amazing and so special. The peice is well written and all consuming. They will LOVE it.

Enjoy your down time, recharge and come back stronger and better than ever!

JP (mom) said...

Thank you for the memories of childhood ... have a wonderful time rekindling them! xx, JP

Kamsin said...

Beautiful post. I was on the beach playing with the pebbles and waves. I love watching little kids at the beach, their excitement and wonder at each new wave and each new pebble or shell!

Unknown said...

Enjoy your trip. PEI is one of my favorite places. I can't wait to here how the Canadaeast thing works out!

paris parfait said...

A beautiful piece, chock full of childhood memories. Enjoy your time away. And I'm glad you submitted some of your excellent pieces. xo

Isabella said...

Enjoy your break. Looking forward to more wonderful, beautifully told stories.

Rainbow dreams said...

we still come back with reminders of the beach....:) never managed to skim stones properly...hope you have a lovely break, loved your Sabahat story - who knows where our guardian angels come from but somehow they do... and for that I am grateful, love Katie,x