Monday, August 20, 2007



I love the streak of light filtering up into the blue sky in this photo. I took it last week while sitting in the passenger side of the van. We were driving on the Trans Canada highway on our way home from a baseball game. It had rained lightly during the game, the clouds grey and full only to break up to deliver the late sun rays for our enjoyment. It had a calming enlightening feel to the moment. Another day ending and we were all well.

Mid August. How did that happen? Can it be that twilight is finding us earlier? Are the colours over the horizon more sharp and less hazy? Yes they are. I love the changes in the evening sky at this time of year because it speaks of the pending autumn where the earth's soul dwells. Autumn is my favourite time of year. But, it's still summer......late summer.........when the harvesting takes on active meaning.......when the wild blackberries ripen like glistening jewels on the vines.

Mid August. We have turned the corner on the middle of August. Did I have my eyes closed? How can this be? BE it is and I better catch up. I swear time moves more swiftly than it used to or maybe it's just more scary thinking about it.

Miles to go before the night becomes long.

And a few more August night skies to appreciate.

9 comments:

diana christine said...

mid august, mid month, mid year. how can it come so quickly, so quietly, this moment poised between january's great expectations and december's frantic conclusions...

stumbling onto your post, i am gently reminded to make the most of this day before it quickly turns into another day, another month, another year.

hello. michele sent me. and theo sent me to michele.

your photography is breathtaking.

thank you for being here.

Julie said...

Beautiful pic.

Here in the Uk we've had one week of summer and yesterday, usually mid summer nad hot here, I had the heating on. Global warming??? global chilling maybe!

love Julie .x

Kamsin said...

As Julie says, here in the UK it may be mid-August which last i checked was in summer, and it looks and feels like about late Sept/ early Oct already!

awareness said...

Diana....welcome.....i love your description of the year....too right.

Julie...yes, the UK has had more than their share of unseasonal weather this year....it has to make one wonder about global warming! :)

Kamsin.....it's actually cooler than normal here too...a frost warning last night for goodness sakes! Thankfully, it didn't materialize. My flowers are thriving.....

Dustin said...

It is a beautiful photo...and I agree that time moves way too fast. I can't believe my daughter is three months old, I can't believe seminary is about to begin again and I can't believe my summer flew by without noticing it.

Man, what I would give for a time machine...or at least something that could pause time :)

JP (mom) said...

Time does move more swiftly ... funny that. Love this pic, Dana. Looking forward to a beautiful autumn. xx, JP

kenju said...

What a gorgeous sky that is and weren't you lucky to be there at that moment!!

Rainbow dreams said...

beautiful photo - I love the way light shines through clouds...almost magical..
we actually lit a fire last night...romantic but not mormal for August....autumn does seem to be making an appearance early this year..
time flies when you're having fun or busy...

hope you're having fun too,x

Jenny said...

Oh, I love your photos!

Too fast, things move too fast nowadays. BUT, I am a big fan of Fall.....