Saturday, August 11, 2007

abundance



Saturday mornings are never complete without a trip to the local Boyce Farmers market in Fredericton. It's a tradition for many who live in and around the area and it most definately is one of my favourite activities of the week. I had missed a couple of weekends in town lately, so when I arrived relatively early, before the rush of crowds and tourists, I took in the summer's abundance of locally grown fruits and vegetables. For some reason, this particular summer seems to be rushing by so quickly. I can't believe we're heading into the middle of August already. So, it came as a surprise to see the truckloads of produce harvested for our dinner delight.


I'm a firm believer in supporting local farmers and vendors and try to purchase as much of our food through them. The other day, when I was at the grocery store, I saw a large display of bing cherries on special. I LOVE cherries, and unfortunately they aren't grown in this area readily. Ontario is known for their cherries and it was always one of the fruits I looked forward to eating as many as I could when I was growing up there. This is the end of the cherry season in Ontario, so I expected the ones I was salivating over to be from the fruit belt in Southern Ontario. Quel surprise! Turned out they were shipped up from the United States, as were the melons and grapes. What's that all about?


The growing season in this country is pretty narrow. The people who toil over growing our produce need us to support their efforts and their livelihood.......even if they are in another province. Local? It includes other parts of our country as well.

But today? I bought very local.............my options were endless.....and abundant. And eye catching. Including the Freudian carrots




aromatic dill wafted throughout
the market stalls
and added to a variety
of pickles








Crisp yellow beans,
cooked just a little and served with melted butter.
Simple.
We're having some for dinner tonight.

the first of the corn just waiting to be husked and shared with a big family of friends



sweet juicy field tomatoes....my favourite



jams, jellies and tasty spreads



Early apples. The Macs and Cortlands will follow soon......as will the new sensation Honey Crisp. Have you tasted a Honey Crisp apple? I dare you to take just one juicy bite.



Blueberries...........cases and cases of these purple blue jewels. Pies, jams, crisps, crumbles, muffins, coffee cakes, teas, wine, syrups, jellies and a handful in the pancake mix.....blueberries thrive in this part of the world. People were buying 10 lb cases of them to take home today to enjoy. Don't they look delicious?


So, if you were ever to visit my neck of the woods, I would take you along to our market. It's a friendly welcoming place, full of smiling faces and something for everyone.

17 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

I love visiting vegetable markets precisely for this reason reason. For the eye candy of fresh vegetables.

Glad michele sent me here to look those up. Beautiful photos!

Rainbow dreams said...

love the images - how fantastic to have such choice - can't help but smile at the carrot picture :) nothing quite like a market atmosphere..

here we have local produce sold on the hedges outside peoples houses with honesty boxes for the money.

awareness said...

Gautami....Marketplaces are where I like to go to whenever I'm in a new city too.

Katie....yes the carrots. Made me smile too.
Honesty boxes are found in the area as well and on Prince Edward Island. It's good to know they still work.

carmilevy said...

It would be an honour to explore the market on a visit east. You'll be my first call when we plan a trip to NB.

These images and your observations are nothing short of magical.

(Not sure why they imported them from the U.S. I guess they got a better price that day. Weird.)

awareness said...

Hi Carmi.....my home is always open for you and your family. what fun we'd have! A mix of kids, lots of cheer and loads to talk about. I'd love to take a walk through the market and downtown Freddy town with you to see it through your eyes and camera lens. Be prepared. I will have MANY photo/techie questions!

cheers.

Catherine said...

What wonderful photos. Farmers markets are just catching on here, and the only one I've been to had such small quantities for sale, and I had to drive across town, so I decided I was doing more harm to the environment by shopping there, than at my local supermarket. Maybe I'll give it another try and see if it has grown since then.
Michele says hi!

BreadBox said...

How I wish there had been markets like that when I lived in NB thrumptysevix years ago. Now there's even a good farmers market in Woodstock, I understand --- mind you, all those years ago I probably wouldn't have appreciated the fresh ingredients and the making of things from scratch the way that I do now.

Best,
N.

Sara said...

Hello, Michele sent me to let you know that I love farmers markets. They always have the most awesome food - and everything tastes so fresh. I'll make you a deal - if I ever get up your way, you can show me the farmer's market there...and if you come to visit my area I'll show you ours! Have a great week-end.

Karen said...

Wow! Great photos and amazing looking produce!! I'm jealous - we don't really have a decent farmer's market nearby.

Hope you're having a great weekend! Michele sent me!

BreadBox said...

I think that there is something rather wonderful about the way that even atlantic Canada, often seen in Canadian terms as the deep south, backwater, uncultured version of civilization*, there is something wonderful about the fact that even a small town like Woodstock can have a good farmers market --- and Fredericton, Freddy town, yet, can have one worth blogging about on a sleepy August day.

Whereas here, in the true deep south, the deep south of the US, you are expected to believe that if you can't buy it at a bad grocery store, it isn't worth importing from China. And local be damned.
Not true in the big cities, like Atlanta, of course, but in small town communities? Two hours a week we have access to local produce (and that is a tremendous improvement over the past) from almost a dozen vendors. Lovely people, but seriously folks,...
ooops... sorry awareness: I slipped into a rant.... feel free to delete it if you wish, or not if you don't....
Just to say, I'm jealous of your markets:-)
N.

*(since many of my best times have been spent in the maritimes, please don't think that this is how I see it --- I see it as the stereotype that many further west place on it)

Shaz said...

I love markets and fresh produce I walk when I can twice a week to get my seasonal fruit and vege from ours. i love your pics and always hunt down the local markets where ever I go. I hate buying imported stuff when we can grow nearly everything all year round here. Great pictures girl x

JP (mom) said...

mmmmmmmmm......delicious! wonderful pics. I love supporting local farmers and merchants. xx, JP

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

love that shot of the carrots - my boy would devour them all, especialy if he had some humous to dip them in.....

Queen Mel said...

now I'm salivating....yummy, I want to try those apples.

Ellen said...

Atlanta has a HUGE farmers market south of the city.... but mostly it is used for private produce companies to gather orders and deliver to local restaurants and caterers like myself. I don't think too many people actually walk around the place to purchase their favorite fruits and veggies... and I know they don't have the jams and jellies on display like yours does. You'd have to go to the local, seasonal fairs for that. Personally, I miss the markets of my youth... all the hustle and bustle, haggling and heavy bags of gathered goodies. Now, all we have are the controlled environments called farmers markets (like Whole Foods and Harry's) and they are much like any other gorcery store in the city.... except the prices can be a tad expensive as they sell quite a bit of foreign and exotic foods as well. Their bakery departments are to die for, though... and just a quick pass through makes you breathe in 5 extra pounds.

awareness said...

Hi everyone....thank you for leaving your thoughts and comments. I find it very interesting that many live in places where markets aren't accessible. I guess I thought it was pretty universal, though I've been to enough markets to know the one in my town is pretty special. I know they are set up across this country even in smaller towns and villages......
Boyce Market runs year round and includes an array of goodies.....from art to freshly squeezed orange juice. It's also THE venue for political glad handing, especially during an election. But normally you see the local politicians there most Saturday mornings chatting it up.

J@ckp1ne said...

Honey crisps are delicious'there one of my favourite apples.