Thursday, September 21, 2006

Teacher Applicant




I found this posted on the bulletin board in the photocopy room at my son's school today:

After being interviewed by the school administration, the eager teaching prospect summarized:

"Let me see if I got this right. You want me to go into that room with all those kids, and fill their every waking moment with a love for learning, and I'm supposed to instill a sense of pride in their ethnicity, modify their disruptive behaviour, observe them for signs of abuse, censor their T-shirts and dress habits for inappropriateness, and plough through their lunch boxes to make sure they are eating a nutritionally balanced diet.

You want me to wage a war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases, check their backpacks for weapons of mass destruction, and raise their self-esteem. You want me to teach them patriotism, good citizenship, sportsmanship, fair play, respect for others, respect for themselves, and respect for the environment.

I am to check for head lice, maintain a safe environment, recognize signs of anti-social behaviour, make sure they all pass the provincial exams, even those who have poor attendance and never complete their homework.

Plus, I am to make sure that all of the students with special needs get an equal and integrated education regardless of the extent of their disabilities and of the fact that they are not connected to a special education plan or teacher's assistant. I am to communicate regularly with the parents by letter, telephone, newsletter and report card. As well, I'm expected to run extra-curricular activities and take part in any school fundraising activities even if they occur on the weekend.

All of this I am to do with a box of chalk, a desk, a bulletin board, a big smile AND a starting salary that barely covers my rent. You want me to do all of this and then you tell me that I CAN'T PRAY?"

Ain't that the truth?

And yet somehow.....................they do it all and then some.



I arrived at the school just when the little ones were congregating outside to stand in their bus lines. The teacher, still fresh as she was when I saw her first thing this morning was multi-tasking as per usual........monitoring behaviour, addressing the wiggly ones, answering questions, counting heads, making sure they kept their sweaters on in the cool air, entertaining them by throwing those "helicopter" seedlings from the trees in the air to see how far they would go when the wind caught them, AND talking to me about the recent election and asking about how my daughter is doing in middle school. Fresh as a summer daisy..........with a few wisps of hair bangs a little askew.

In the middle of this demonstration of competence, she expressed her delight with her class of 23 kindergarten gaffers by commenting on how wonderfully dear and mature they are and how lucky she is to have such a marvellous class. It felt like a family.

Just before the bell rang, the Grade 1 class came barreling out the door to join the wiggly bus lines. 4 little girls..........graduates of this teacher's Kindergarten class rushed up with the energy of a locomotive.........arms wide open, big smiles, they ran over, slamming right into their favourite and openly missed teacher. She took them all in her arms and gave them a big hug and called them her big girls, while playfully chastising them about growing up too fast.

Then, she rushed off to follow her little ones to the right buses....................always counting heads, always ensuring their safety and love and belonging needs right up until the bus doors closed. She waved goodbye to head off to her classroom to clean up and to prepare for tomorrow's busy day of learning.

She prays and counts her blessings every night. How do I know this? She told me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing that! I've had several friends that taught elementary age kids and it was a calling for them - they were so passionate about it. It's amazing all that they do.

(i have to sign in with this account...sorry)
Barbara
barbara007.typepad.com

Canuckguy said...

My daughter just starting teaching Grade 1 after doing special assignments with kindergarten the previous year and your posting fits her to a T.

She even mentioned to me that she hopes the other teachers don't get jealous or catty as she noticed that she is the only one of the teachers in her school who gets frequent hugs.

awareness said...

Layla......the best teachers all describe their career as a calling, dont they?

Canuckguy.....your daughter has found her way and found her niche. She will touch many hearts and have an impact on their "way." Hope the hugs continue... Oh, and BTW, the best teachers in the elementary school system should always be placed in the Kindergarten and Gr. 1 classes. Good starts and early intervention produce focused successful students in the long run.

Sunny said...

Awareness is right. Great teachers should always be placed at the most influencial times of a child's life...K, gr 1, gr 5 and so on. This year I am not too crazy about my son's teacher. She doesn't seem to want to be a teacher. In such a demanding and low-paying job you have TO WANT to be a teacher to do it properly and remind yourself of the great responsibility you have in that position.
My daughter's teacher, gr 3, has been wonderful. She is a bright woman who loves her job and you can tell. When my baby fell and broke her front tooth off in class during an activity she was so concerned and proud of Heather for being so brave. She gets them to call her Mme. Julie (her first name and not her last) because she feels she calls them by their first names so they should be able to do the same. Her gr 2 teacher was equally inspiring.
I hope that my son's teacher lightens up and realizes that it is still only the first month of school and there is many months to go before the end of the year. She'll crumble if she doesn't.

Scott said...

THat is an absolutely fantastic post. there is nothing like a GREAT teacher. Such an impact they have.

Scott

Canuckguy said...

Regarding teacher hugging, in my young school days(late 50's, grades 1,2,3), I never hugged a teacher, don't recall anybody hugging a teacher and it never occurred to me to hug a teacher, nor did I have any desire to hug one. They all seemed like stuffy grandmothers.

You never never called them by their first names. I did not even know their first names. It was Mrs. Smith, Miss Scott, etc.

The times changed.

awareness said...

When you think of how much time our children are in the classroom etc, you gotta hope they have someone at the helm that wants to be there. You're right Sunny............they gotta love it for all the work it is.

Scott, thank you for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Canuckguy.......I remember the girls at recess holding the teacher's hand etc, but like you I don't remember a huggy teacher when I was in the early grades (mid 60's) It has changed.........

Rainbow dreams said...

A great post - teachers are so influencial, and you can't miss someone who exudes passion. Kids will be drawn to those who have it.

Even now my husband will have ex students come into his class after they have left, just because they know his door is open and it's an environment they are free to express themselves in - he's teaching in secondary school, so he doesnt get hugs, but students seek him out all the same. Just thinking, they all know his first name but choose to use his surname or call him sir instead

paris parfait said...

Great post! Wonderful to hear the "inside" story.