Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Simon and Hilda Glasberg


This story breaks my heart. After 65 years of thinking that their sibling had perished in the Holocaust, Simon and Hilda, brother and sister were reunitied.

"An Ottawa man was reunited in Israel this week with the younger sister he thought had perished in the Holocaust 65 years ago.

Simon Glasberg, now 81, last saw his sister Hilda Shlick when she was only 10 years old.

For more than six decades, he thought she had met the same sad fate as six million other Jews who were killed by the Nazis during the Second World War.

Meanwhile, half a world away in Israel, Shlick, now 75, thought her big brother Simon was among the dead.

Recently, the brother and sister were overjoyed to learn they were both wrong — thanks to another brother, Karol, who submitted a note to preserve his sister's memory at the Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial in Jerusalem.

This week, Simon Glasberg laid eyes on Hilda for the first time in over six decades.

In spite of her grey hair, he said he recognized her at once, and he cried as he embraced her for the first time since she was a little girl.

"The world was swirling around, and I looked at her," recalled Glasberg of the moment. "I just kissed her … I couldn't stop kissing her."


Read the rest of the story...


What I'm left thinking about is how this story is both joyful and tragic. The reunion with her brother must've been deeply emotional for anyone who was there to witness it. However, Hilda grew up and lived all her adult years thinking that her whole family had perished. How does one live with the tragic knowledge that half a world away, they were alive and have all died of old age except two brothers?

Joy and sorrow


5 comments:

X said...

My heart ached when I read that story. It's sad that they lost so much time together, but just think how lucky they are to at least have some time together. That's a great story. It makes you wonder how many other people in the same situation are out in the world.

Canuckguy said...

I was checking over your musical tastes. That and the pensive tone of your blogs leads me to believe that you would enjoy the Cowboy Junkies. What do you think?

Canuckguy said...

I was directing the question at Awareness in case there is confusion.

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

Simply the most beautiful post i have read in a long long time - wow! It's left me speechless and teary

awareness said...

Hey Lefty.... It does make you wonder how many there are out there. It also makes me realize that I have no true understanding of how deep despair can really go.

Canuckguy.....ooops....I replied via email. I didn't realize that you had left the comment here! Cowboy Junkies? I did like their first album, but I actually find their music too pensive and I'm not keen on the female voice. My first choice will always be Van Morrison. He strikes a chord in me like no other. How about you?

Harbour......always glad to help clear the old tearducts.