Monday, September 25, 2006

The Electricity of Eccentricity: An Ode to the Proprieter of Old Orchard Crafts



You've heard the saying, "there's a method to his madness?" Often, it seems to be tied to a person who is considered an eccentric.......... someone with unusual gifts....... someone whose behaviour is perceived to be impulsively outside of societal norms. These individuals constantly live thinking outside of the box. They thrive on generating ideas and often acting on them. Confident originality expressed with gusto.


Edith Stillwell wrote:

"Eccentricity is not, as dull people would have us believe, a form of madness. It is often a kind of innocent pride, and the man of genius and the aristocrat are frequently regarded as eccentrics because genius and aristocrat are entirely unafraid of and uninfluenced by the opinions and vagaries of the crowd."

When I read this quote, the first person that came to mind was Bertie Wooster's friend Gussie Fink-Nottle from the brilliant mind of P.G. Wodehouse. Gussie is described as "a teetotal bachelor with a face like a fish, wears horn-rimmed spectacles, and devotes his life to the study of newts." Along with a whole host of aristocratic eccentrics including Gussie, Bertie stumbles through hilarious situations only to be rescued by his intrepid butler, Jeeves. What makes Wodehouse's novels so funny is that these characters just dont show fear of not fitting in. In fact, they do fit into their bizarre lives..... we the reader get to look through the window of the infamous Drone's Club to take a peek at an absurdist world of post WWII aristocracy.

The British do have the corner market on eccentric characters don't they? From Basil Fawlty to Adrian Mole to Mary Poppins ...............and so many memorable Monty Python skits that are the epitome of odd.





The way I see it, there are many subtypes of eccentrics. The academic eccentricfor example is stereotypically portrayed as an individual brilliant in their personal area of study, but bumbling and fumbling through the rest of the real world. Basic skills like organizing a trip or interacting with others who are not academically inclined are as foreign as learning a new language. Their area of interest is narrow and confined to very specialized expertise. One particular Anthropology professor comes to mind. Brilliant and expressive in the classroom and a complete fish out of water off campus. He was enchantingly odd and I adored his class.

Then there are the introverted types who live as recluses tucked away from interaction and community involvement. Howard Hughes eventually became the poster boy for this subtype. Cat ladies, retired old fishermen who spend their days whittling folk art, famous artists like Van Gogh who never sold one of his paintings when he was alive, but continued with his vision and passion despite not being understood, the local garbage picker who stays in their imaginary bubble oblivious to any onlookers while surfing through trash for returnable bottles..........my career field of choice often allow me to cross paths with wonderful reclusive eccentrics.

But, the most interesting to me are the individuals whom I will label the Zany Bounders. These individuals are extrovertedly dramatic, and charismatically creative. Full of a love for life, they often take over a room full of people just by their electric presence. They have the ability to spill out poetry one minute and engage you in a topic that you may not have even considered interesting until you are confronted by their passion. Off the wall, sure...........but they also have a serious side too exhibited during a conversation that triggers their particular interests. My friend Finnan, who recently told me that he pretended to be a daring reporter at the local market by holding a piece of broccoli up as a microphone and interviewed the people passing by his stall while the candidates for the recent election were glad-handing all around him, is a true Zany Bounder.

Zany Bounders can scare the snot out of an introvert. Not being an introvert myself I can only imagine what it must be like to be standing quietly when all of a sudden you're confronted by what is visually perceived as a beginner skier schussing a mountain while flailing out of control and heading right towards you.............loudly, while you frantically make an attempt to jump into a snowdrift to hide. Sometimes I think Zany Bounders enjoy this nervous reaction as they sniff out the uncomfortable quiet person.........much like a cat does when confronted with a room full of people. The cat inevitably entangles himself in between the legs of the allergic cat hater... just rubbing it in!

Personally, I believe this world doesn't have enough of these expressively unconventional individuals because we need them to spark up the energy and to alleviate apathy. We need them to stir up the fun and the thinking and the zest for living. Sadly, this weekend our community lost a notable Bounder, the colourful Eric Ferguson.

I first met Eric years ago when I did a short stint as a copywriter. He and his wife had just opened up a gift store in a village outside of Fredericton called Burton. It was a bit out of the way, but he was hellbent on making it a tourist destination all on its own. It was my job to create the first radio ads for his new business. It wasn't until a few months later when I was involved in a completely different job did I have a chance to visit Old Orchard Crafts.

As soon as I parked my car beside this shop/home settled in amongst a host of apple trees, a big burly smiling man came barrelling out the front door full of flamboyant exuberance..............his arm extended to meet mine. With a hearty "Welcome," Eric then became my personal tour guide of his treasure trove of pottery, jewelry, books and knick knacks. Every room in his house had been turned into an alcove of goodies.........even the bathroom! I was offered a cup of hot apple cider while we looked around and chatted up a storm. Our conversation wound hither and dale, encompassing the importance of promoting Canadian made products to New Brunswick tourism to police work (he was a retired RCMP officer and did a stint as the Chief of Police for the city of Saint John) to our mutual love of politics. I was there forever that afternoon!

Eric's ulitmate love was politics. He lived and breathed it. A diehard Progressive Conservative and ex Member of Parliament in the short lived Joe Clark government, Eric and I would cross paths on many occasions after our first encounter, most often through our shared political interests. And whenever I saw him, he always gave me a big bear hug at the same time asking me my opinion on the latest political gossip or scandal. He did this with many others.........always making them feel special...........always giving them his undivided attention...........always espousing his opinions enthusiastically.

Never one to tip toe into any situation, often his aromatic aftershave would precede him. I think it was Polo. Many times over the years, I would be in a parking lot on my way to a local fair or market on a Saturday and I would catch a whiff in the wind of his presence. Then, I'd notice the flyers that he had tucked into the windshield wipers of every parked car..................20% off coupon for Old Orchard Crafts. Looking around, I would find him engaged in a lively conversation with a patron talking up his latest Canadian "find" for his store, or promoting the local Tory candidate in his riding. Sales was in his blood.

It's been a while since our paths crossed. In fact, I was surprised that I didn't see him during the last election. And for some reason, I never made it out to Old Orchard Crafts this summer despite thinking about it several times. (BTW it did become a tourist destination and the largest craft store in the Maritimes.......he put an extension on his house, and a barn on the property).

I was taken aback when I heard of his passing on the local radio news while driving home from work today......................we have lost a Zany Bounder who touched many many lives and probably scared the snot out of a few along the way.

No doubt his smiling star in the sky will sparkle in an unconventionally lively light, with a tinge of Tory Blue. Watch for it.

Bless you, Eric.





2 comments:

Ellen said...

How sad to read the ending of this story... and I swear I never saw it coming.

It makes you realize that life is just not interesting unless we have the colorful zany characters we meet along the way. Not only do they make for great stories, but their very beings are imprinted on our minds for a lifetime.... its how legends are born.

RIP, Eric.

awareness said...

Hi Ellen

I aspire to be an eccentric! Actually I think there are some people in my office who label me that way already! Those are the ones I scare the snot out of!!

Yes, Eric was a true zany bounder. He consumed life! I regret very much that I didn't go with my intuition and visit Old Orchard Crafts this summer. It niggled at me and I didn't pay attention. On the local radio station, a good friend of his recalled a variety of stories about his friendship with Eric that were priceless....it was that interview that made me focus on the fact that there are very few originals out in this world and it's always a blessing to have been a part of their lives even in a small way. Yes, that's where my blog idea came from.

Sorry for the surprise ending. The piece actually wrote itself once I got started.