Wednesday, May 24, 2006

So, What's with the Name?

Believe it or not, my real name isn't "Awareness." When I started this blog last September, I wanted to be able to write without any trepidations. The idea of being anonymous was a bit thrilling too. My nom de plume was actually suggested to me by my Finnan friend and it just seemed to fit my persona. I also liked it as a theme of sorts.
So, Awareness I became.
But, it's time to reveal my real name.......... well............. the name I plan to answer to this weekend.........which is real and it is me. My real name is Muskie. Oh, I have other names, and some people may even call me nasty sounding names, but I won't be answering to any other moniker except Muskie. Why? Because it is my camp name, and I'm heading west to Hogtown, Ontari-ari-o for a splendiferous weekend of all things Camp Kawabi. Yes, we all had campy names.............. all part of the hilarity of summer camp.
Muskie.................no I'm not named after a disgustingly ugly fish..............no I'm not named after an American Senator. Remember the cartoon, Deputy Dog? You gotta be over 40 I think to remember. Well, when I was a wee lass my Dad and I used to watch it faithfully every morning before he took off for work. Deputy Dog's deputy? Muskie. It was the nickname my Dad gave me way back then.
It's been a while since I had heard my camp name used. It's been a long time since I was a camp counsellor..........too long, really. However, over the winter, I started receiving e-mails with it used and all of a sudden, it started fitting me again like it did. You could say, that I have found my "inner Muskie." She had been lost for a while, but now she's back and ready to take on her role again with exuberance, surrounded by people named Murf, Frye, Fletch, Luten, Phineas, E-0r, Fastback, Zoe, Sprigg, Newt, Zoff, Bauer, Moka, Ribii, Skip, and Nish and about 200 others..........Gee, it does sound like a Tolkien sounding bunch, doesn't it?
For every name, there is a background story. For every person, there is a life story. I plan to hear about all of their life stories. That's what Muskie does.
1 more sleep and I'm outta here!

3 comments:

Michael K. Althouse said...

Muskie... It kinda grows on you. I went to Boy Scout camp many, many moons ago. It was located on Huntington Lake in the Central Sierras. Camp Oljato. I had a nickname... one I do not choose to disclose at the moment, but I will undoubtedly blog on it someday. It was two or three consecutive summers, two weeks each.

There were a great many "firsts" there. One thing I remember very vividly was how very cold the water was. It was so cold it hurt, yet to be able to use the kayaks, canoes or do pretty much anything around the water, we had to prove that we could swim a certain distance... in that very cold water.

Have fun at camp. I often wonder if mine is still there.

BTW: I linked you on my site.

~Mike

awareness said...

Hey there!

Interesting that you wrote about "firsts" because I have written a piece to read on Sunday at a special chapel on "firsts." I'll be posting it on Sunday after the service.

I'm flattered to be linked. I tried to do the same and messed the whole thing up. I may be a blogger, but the mechanical side of my brain is somewhat stunted! I'll give it another try when I return. Cheers.

Michael K. Althouse said...

I knew nothing about any of all that either when I started this. I mean, I'm a computer geek in most every other way, but somehow I missed the bus marked the "world wide web" and html programing. Go figure. Fortunately, it's pretty easy. If you need some help, let me know... that's what I did.

~Mike