Thursday, May 11, 2006

On Perception


Find the face among the beans



Read the image aloud--but rather than reading the words,
say the color of the ink that was used to write each word.

Perception is the process of acquiring, interpreting, selecting, and organizing sensory information in order to give meaning to your environment. People make judgements based on their perceptions. People's actions are based on their perceptions. So, what if your perceptions are faulty? What if how you interpret something is based on sensory overload and your take on something miscontrued? How do you know when your perceptions are in line with your intuition and the facts provided to you?

I have been ruminating on this little word all week, and the more I thought about the idea of trying to gather my thoughts with some linearity, the more often I found myself in conversations about it. Another little wink from the cosmos? Who knows?

Like everyone, my perception of an event of some kind is always filtered through where I happen to be standing, what I am thinking, how I'm feeling at the time. Perception also is affected by other circumstances that I may be jousting with, or it may be added to previous knowledge and perceptions which alters the way I am going to see things. I'm the prism that reflects or refracts the event. I will most likely respond to one particular event in many different ways based on how I feel about myself, what my circumstances are..........in other words, how the light is shining on me the prism.

Somewhere along the line recently, my prism altered it's positioning again. I have been given new eyes to view my world..............to perceive things in a different manner.

Of course, this has happened time and again in my life. When I became a mom, for example, the way I saw the world flipped on it's axis. No longer could I stomach reading a novel about kidnapping. No longer did I find being the last one standing at a party a wonderful concept. No longer did I want my needs to come first. No longer could I keep all the things I needed to remember safely stored in my head for quick referral without forgetting anything........well that did return after the initial hormone blast passed, but has since reared it's ugly head recently since I started writing..........go figure!! Quite simply, my prism altered, affecting how I perceive things.

Could it be that any of life's transitions produces an opportunity or change in perception? I think so. Starting school, adolescence, first relationship, marriage, new jobs, new friends, new home, new community, children, death, your health all affect the angle of your perceptual prism. When there is new learning, there is a new way to see the world.............to make sense of your world.

Whatever the cause this time, I have found a quiet calmness inside that is now open to and accepting of a stronger belief system. Because of that, the way I am perceiving things is being filtered through an extraordinary prism of light which has allowed me to appreciate my family, my life, my friends in a more pronounced way. It has allowed me to find my creativity again by presenting me with a canvas of "new" views all around me.

This doesn't mean that I won't have moments when I take something the wrong way.....oh no! There's always the full moon affect isn't there? There will always be the times when I'm not feeling too darn special and the filter will have a black tinge to it. But, for some reason, I feel that the addition of having a rediscovered sense of a Higher Power will stay with me.

I found the following quotes that I really liked that definately added to my understanding of the power of perception...............and I want to share them with you.





Where we've gotten mixed up is that we believe actions follow belief. But experience creates belief..
Rev Cecil Williams


Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted. Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world.
Hans Margolius


What you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing; it also depends on what sort of person you are.
C. S. Lewis


That which happens in life is not as important as how you accept it.
Unknown

The voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.
Marcel Proust


The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.
Henri Bergson


What will you allow your new eyes to see today? Can you find the guy hiding in the coffee beans?


No comments: