Tuesday, May 02, 2006

At The End of The Day...........

Just returned from a meeting where the chair used the term "At the end of the day" 5 times during his "from the seat of his pants" explanation as to why he had brought us all together. Then, he left us to complete his work. This term..............at the end of the day.............drives me batty. I hear it ALL the time by politicians, and public service management, I have this feeling that it's meant to sound smart and hip and witty. Instead, it's smarmy and overused.

So, while I was listening to the slick diatribe of a person whom
a) I have no respect for because he not only didn't stay for the meeting, he was 1/2 hour late........ and
b) I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw him given his penchant for gooble-gook meaningless talk.......... I got to thinkin'...... What other words or phrases do I wish to have thrown out the window of usage?

Here are my top 5 recommendations.

1. Mentor: I used to like this word and I like the concept. In my mind, a mentor is someone who is a very special elder..........someone who enters your life at a crucial point and provides meaningful and life affirming guidance in many areas of your life. One is lucky to have the chance to find a Mentor (or they find you) once or twice in a lifetime. NOW.......geez, the term mentor is used instead of coach or teacher or or boss or spa attendant/aerobics instructor. And you know what? You can't call yourself a Mentor and then "ment." The relationship between Mentor and Mentee is a naturally evolving predestined process that is felt and not labelled.

2. Wellness: Why is it that when I hear this worn out word that I have the urge to light up a smoke and pour myself a glass of screech? Bring out the chips and dip boys and let's hunker down on the couch with a case of beer, some smokes and watch some wrestlin' .........

3. Thinking Outside of the Box: Where is this box? Are you in a box? I'm not in a box. Perhaps the first step in thinking outside the box is to stop talking about the box. Just think!!!

4. Basically, Actually, Totally and Irregardless: I'm clumping these altogether, and keep in mind that the last one? It isn't even a WORD! Stop using them! They are just fillers.........

5. Debrief: This is a military term used after a dangerous mission that has been adopted and pulverized by the counselling community. I have heard this term used often by co-workers who instead of saying "I want to talk about......." or "I need to tell you about this situation....." will approach me with "I need to debrief........." And you know what picture automatically jumps into my head (cause I'm a visual learner....gag.....) ?? I'm afraid that this person who needs to debrief is going to start doing a strip tease or something in my office. It's also used to describe a counselling session with a client who needed to talk about their life. Quit debriefing, folks, and just have a chat.

OK..........I have one more and it's the one I detest the most. I cringe when I hear it, and I hear it at least once a day.......at work, on the radio, and on the news.............

6. Closure. Sometimes at the end of the day, there ain't no closure.................................
The End.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG,
What would the bullshit leaders do without their lexicon?
And then, how would the cliche management department, formerly known as HR, AKA personnel department, find their navel?
Just thinking...........

awareness said...

It takes a true visionary mentor with a strategy plan, key messages and key performance indicators to lead the troops through an work action plan of mediocre don't it? And along the way, while they are still trying to find their belly buttons......the creative right brainers will sneak in and wipe away all BS lexiconisms and turn the office world on it's proper axis.

Know anyone who could do that? Ready, set, Go!

Michael K. Althouse said...

Here's another one: very unique

Unique means "one of a kind." It's binary - it either is or it isn't. Nothing is very "one of a kind!"